TS X-Blade 703 vs Fourteen TC1000 vs J spec Rapture

Randy

A little info on why I did this min-shoot out. First, I will admit right up front that I am a golf club Ho and like trying all types of irons, but really do need to settle on one set of irons for a while. Second, I keep reading that blades will make you better player, then GI clubs will make you better and etc. I have tried all styles, but never head-to-head, so decided to get three different style irons and do this mini-shoot out.

For the GI irons, I decided on the Ping Rapture J-spec irons. For the mid-sized, or maybe a little smaller than mid-sized, I picked the TS X-Blade 703, and for player type CB, it was the Fourteen TC 1000. I was thinking about adding a set of pure blades, but as a 13 capper know that I am not consistently good enough. My shoot out was not very scientific as each set of irons had different shafts and was only done over period of two rounds and 4 range sessions, but good enough for me to make a decision. For the two rounds I went out when very few people were on the course hit my drive and then dropped 3 balls and then hit the appropriate iron of each set.

Following are my impressions and results:

Looks:

Tie for first and second place: TS 703 and Fourteen TC1000. Both set up really nice to the ball. Visually the Fourteens looked to have a little less offset, more of a satin finish and a simple well designed over all look. The TS 703, although different looked just as good at address and of course to me that is where looks count.

Third place - Ping J spec Rapture: This probably doesn't surprise anyone as they were not made to win a beauty contest. Actually they don't look bad at address, especially since the J spec have less offset than US model.

Feel:

First place: TC1000 - To me these are one of the best feeling irons I have ever hit. Somewhat soft, but very solid. I would rank them equal to EPON 310 and ONOFF 247, which are the two best feeling irons I have ever hit.

Second place: TS 703 - Not far behind the TC1000 in the feel category. Great feel and maybe preferred over the TC1000 by some or many. For me they were just not quite as solid feeling.

Third place: J spec Rapture: Surprising these didn't feel that bad and better that most cast clubs I have tried, but they definitely don't have that good forged feel.

Forgiveness:

First place: I'm sure this is not a surprise that it is the J spec Rapture. Very, very forgiving, but some interesting results that I will talk about in the next section.

Second place: TS 703, which I found pretty darn forgiving for a mid, to smaller than mid, sized CB iron.

Third place: Fourteen TC 1000. From the looks of them I thought they would only be a little more forgiving than a blade, but although not as forgiving as the TS 703 and for sure no where near as forgiving as the J spec Rapture, they do have some forgiveness.

Distance( which I tried to take into account difference in lofts, although max difference was two degrees):

Tie first and second place: When I purred a shot, difference between each set was minimal. Of course I don't pure every shot, so overall it was a tie between J spec Rapture and TS 703. My typical miss with the Raptures was always a little fat or the ball would ballon a little cutting down the distance some. For some reason I didn't have similar problems with the TS 703s on my not pure hits.

Third place: Fourteen TC 1000. On not purred shots I would probably average 5 to 10 yards less than the other 2 set of irons.

GIRs (most important category for me):

First place: TS 703. I was hitting balls into the greens from 120 to 180 yards. Over the two rounds I hit about 65% of the greens. That may not sound great to you, but I play a course with very small greens and I am a mid-capper and for me that is a pretty good %.

Second place: Fourteen TC 1000. I hit about 50% of the greens. Most of my misses, where 5 to 10 yards short.

Third place: Ping J spec Rapture. This one really confused me as I only hit about 45% of the greens. They are extremely forgiving and just as long as the other two sets, but a lot of the shots were pin high, but left or right of the green, which is not good for the course I normally play.

Over all:

First place: TS 703 and it wasn't even really close. Really good looks and feel, excellent distance and best, by far, in hitting greens.

Second place: Fourteen TC1000. If they were more forgiving, they would give the TS 703 a run for the money.

Third place: Ping J spec Rapture. Don't know why, but just could not hit this set as well as the other two.

What did I learn: First was the TS 703 is a really great set of irons. Second was that I just can not seem to hit/play as well with GI type irons and do better with mid sized CB irons.

Will the TS 703 be a permanent fixture in my bag and cure my HOing for irons? For now yes, but now that I settled on a style of iron, there are a few more that I am going to have to try. They are the EPON 502, Ping Answer forged, and Fourteen TC 910 (although they might not be any more forgiving than the TC1000) and maybe some others mid to slightly smaller that mid sized CB irons that have a good forged feel.

If you have any other suggestions for irons that I should try that fit in that category, please let me know.

Aloha

Randy

Great info as always Randy.

The 703 are indeed one great looking iron and I actually prefer the standard 703 to the Limited model.

The cavity of the 703 looks strong and refined and is the best looking of the bunch design wise in my opinion while the TC1000 is the cleanest looking.

Aloha Randy---thanks for taking the time to share. Like your approach to testing the sets.

Off to take a look at pics of the TS703.

I think the Epon 502 might be even better for you.....

I went from TS x-blade cbs to Epon 302 and really love them.

I know it's subjective but you should really check them out.

a test or comparison i would like to see is between the ts 703 and the epon 502 irons. i currently have the tourstage forged viq (07) and love the feel and they are as easy to hit as anything, but would like something just a tad smaller. perhaps i should post a thread asking for the comparison.