Initial review Fourteen TC-910

Randy

Picked up a set of the new Fourteen TC-910 irons and have 2 range sessions and 9 holes of golf with them. They are, or I should say were, battling the Fourteen TC-550 forged and Tourstage X-blade 703 irons for a place in my bag.

In an earlier post I did a mini-shootout between the TC-1000, TS x-blade 703 and Ping J-spec Raptures. 703s won pretty easily and the proved to me that I hit mid to slightly smaller than mid sized CBs the best. Being the club HO that I am I decided to try a couple of sets of that type/size iron before making a decision on the set that will be in the bag for quite a while. At least that is my plan. I have always like the feel of Fourteen irons beginning with the 770 non-forged, which I sometimes regret not keeping. Thus, the reason for picking the Fourteen sets of irons to try.

Impressions of the TC-910:

Looks - To me they are the best looking set of CBs I have seen. Like the satin look a little better than the chrome look of the TC-550 forged and TS 703s. They have minimal offset, but so do the other two set of irons. Didn't measure, but topline looks about the same as the other two set and soles might not be quite as wide.

Feel - Of course feel is subjective, but this is the best feeling set of irons I have ever hit and I have had a lot of iron sets. The other two sets also felt good, but again my opinion, not quite the same or as good at the TC-910s.

Forgiveness - The TC-910s are not as forgiving as the other two sets, but are not blade like in forgiveness. A person I know told me the 910s are just as forgiving as the 550 forged. I didn't find the to be quite true, but more forgiving that you would think. For reference, I feel the order of forgiveness from most to less is 550, TS703 and then 910.

Overall - all three sets of irons are great/exceptional and differences are pretty minimal. Even though they have a little less forgiveness, I decided on the TC-910s based on feel and looks.

Following are some pics of the TC-550 and TC-910 irons. Tourstage irons were sold before I got home to take the pictures:

PW, 7 iron and 4 iron (TC-910 left for each iron)

post-3241-1270864144.jpg

PW sole (TC-910 on left)

post-3241-1270864316.jpg

PW, 7 iron and 4 iron (TC-910 on left for each iron)

post-3241-1270864620.jpg

If anyone would like different shots of the Fourteen TC-910s, please let me know.

Aloha

randy

Thanks Randy,

I have been looking at these for a couple of days and up you pop with a review!

Does anyone have a comparison between these and the epon 302? comparitive size, forgivness, feel?

Cheers

Vineman