WORKS Ground Driver

Randy

Stumbled across the WORKS Ground Driver in one of the golf shops I was visiting today. Of course being the club HO I am, had to buy it and give it a try.

It is 11 degrees in loft and 44 inches long. I will try to get pictures up in the next couple of days, but as you can imagine, it has a very shallow face. The one I got has a Mamiya OP shaft, which also says Proforce SP on it, in stiff flex.

Took it to the range and I was pretty surprised, in a good way, about this club. Hitting off the tee, it wasn't that far from the distance of my driver. Surprisingly to me, I could also hit it off the deck pretty well. It was 20 to 30 yards further than my Ping TI Tech 14 degree 3 wd, which had been my go to club. Ball flight was not as high as the Ping and would like to hit a little higher, but it ran like a scared jack rabbit after it hit the ground. I hit it better and longer than the 13 degree EGG spoon I had a while back.

I don't know if this club will make it permanently in my bag, but it does give me some options to try. The course I normally play really only requires a driver on the par 5s if you want to try and make it home in 2. So one possibility is to use this club as my driver and long 3 wood and then have a 16 or 17 degree fairway wood or hybrid as my next lowest lofted club, or I could carry a driver and this club as my 3wd and that have a 19 degree or so hybrid as my next lowest lofted club. It is going to be fun to experiment and see what brings me the best scores.

Any one else try this club?

Aloha

Randy

I will try to get home from work tomorrow before the sun goes down to take some picture.

Great taste in scotch as Laphroaig is with out a doubt one of my favorites.

I will try to get home from work tomorrow before the sun goes down to take some picture.

Great taste in scotch as Laphroaig is with out a doubt one of my favorites.

You mean the Works Golf Foresight right?

The 11* is actually marked the #1 club which is as you say the Ground Driver, they also have a #2 at 13* and a standard #3 at 15*.

We have a works account, I wonder if people would be interested in this club?

How is it off the tee?

I contacted our Works rep to find out more on this club and made a blog post including a video from Works.

http://www.golftoimpress.com/2010/06/works...h-fairway-wood/

great addition to the blog, watched the video and it looks very very iteresting. i wonder how forgiving the #1 is. no matter how shallow it is it is 11*. would like a review soon. i am really curious. thanks T.

great addition to the blog, watched the video and it looks very very iteresting. i wonder how forgiving the #1 is. no matter how shallow it is it is 11*. would like a review soon. i am really curious. thanks T.

I can't imagine it being longer and easier to hit tham my Egg spoon. I may have to try this out!

O.k. guys. As a distance challanged golfer, I am always interested in anything that will advance my second shot. I went to a 4 wood (TE Exotics 16.5*) as I have been told that additional loft will actually help the Mid/High handicap with distance.

I don't seem to have an issue getting the ball off the ground so I have been toying with going to a regular 15* 3 wood. As these Works Foresight Woods are even a lesser loft, are they something that someone with an 87 mph swing speed could get off the ground? I have been thinking about the PRGR Spoon as well. Thoughts?

O.k. guys. As a distance challanged golfer, I am always interested in anything that will advance my second shot. I went to a 4 wood (TE Exotics 16.5*) as I have been told that additional loft will actually help the Mid/High handicap with distance.

I don't seem to have an issue getting the ball off the ground so I have been toying with going to a regular 15* 3 wood. As these Works Foresight Woods are even a lesser loft, are they something that someone with an 87 mph swing speed could get off the ground? I have been thinking about the PRGR Spoon as well. Thoughts?

We have similar swing speeds. The Spoon is very easy to get off the ground. It is a high launching FW as all the weight is pretty much in the sole since the crown face and neck are all lightweight titanium. This creates a very high trajectory ball with a lot of carry which is why the Spoon is a huge distance champ.

I'm going to test the Works Foresight but i can't make up my mind to try a 11* or a 17* same as my Egg so I can compare. I honestly doubt I can hit the 44" 11* well but I am very curious.

Gocchin,

what shaft are you going to try?

F

i say try the 11* and playing it at 43.5. there is no point trying the 17* degrees when you have the spoon already. for me the 11* is a make or break , i guess everyone is interested in the 11.

i say try the 11* and playing it at 43.5. there is no point trying the 17* degrees when you have the spoon already. for me the 11* is a make or break , i guess everyone is interested in the 11.

I second that~~~

I'm playing 15 degree fairway... and am definitely interested in either the 13 or the 11...

Because if 17, we could just go for the egg spoon or what we have on hand...

But 11 or 13 is definitely interesting since not many fairway offers this kind of loft.

I would actually be tempted to try the 15* to have a fair battle with the spoon. Then try the 11*.

It should be an interesting test. Even Roger Federe supremacy came to a premature end at Roland Garros.

As he said, it had to end one day! So, are the Egg spoon days numbered?

Do let us know!

F

Gocchin,

What the cost be for head only, if available head only?

F

Randy,

Any joy with the club?

F

Randy,

Any joy with the club?

F

I have only had a chance to play a couple of rounds with it, but so far I am enjoying it. I currently replaced my driver and 3wd with it. Drives with Ground Driver are about 15 yards shorter than my old driver. Off the deck it has performed pretty well. I was about 280 out on a par five and ball ended up about about 15 yards short. I could never hit any 3 wd that far off the deck. Granted the ball did not get to high in the air, but it did go.

Since this club replaced both driver and 3wd, I now have an opening in the bag, which will be filled with a 4 or 5 wd for my round this Saturday. I will play that combination for a few rounds and see how it works and more importantly if it lowers my scores. I will report back after a couple more rounds.

Aloha

Randy

I have only had a chance to play a couple of rounds with it, but so far I am enjoying it. I currently replaced my driver and 3wd with it. Drives with Ground Driver are about 15 yards shorter than my old driver. Off the deck it has performed pretty well. I was about 280 out on a par five and ball ended up about about 15 yards short. I could never hit any 3 wd that far off the deck. Granted the ball did not get to high in the air, but it did go.

Since this club replaced both driver and 3wd, I now have an opening in the bag, which will be filled with a 4 or 5 wd for my round this Saturday. I will play that combination for a few rounds and see how it works and more importantly if it lowers my scores. I will report back after a couple more rounds.

Aloha

Randy

how is forgiveness ? i knw its 11* and dont expect it to be very forgiving but i am curious.

Thanks Randy,

How does the mamiya shaft play? is it a good combo?

Do you think the playability/foregivness of the club could be improved with a different shaft? (crazy, quadra, ozik?)

Thanks,

F

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...