Gonna Pull the Trigger Soon on New JDM Irons!

ihatebogies

I've already gotten in touch with Tario and will lean on his expertise but any additional advice would be greatly appreciated since I have only been able to demo one of my four choices which are:

1. Onoff Plus Forged

2. Tourstage X-Blade 703

3. Yamaha X V Forged

4. Epon AF-302

I have hit a demo of the 302 and did like it way more than the 502 demo, so the 502 is not in contention nor is anything else please. I've got enough on the plate right now with the above four choices. About my game, float around 6 to 8 handicap, iron play is the best part of my game, not a big hitter 90-92 mph driver swingspeed 76 mph 6 iron swingspeed. I have in the past played Titleist 690cb's then went through a number of game improvement irons and currently play a set of Callaway X-20's which are like house guests that stay too long.......it's time for them to go!

Any experience with the above, advice, whatever please give me your opinions. I've been saving a long time to do this and I hope to get it as close to right as possible with all of your help. Thanks!

Jim

Oh yeah, I too am excited to see how Tario's forged iron shootout goes as well!!!!!

Edited by ihatebogies

I've already gotten in touch with Tario and will lean on his expertise but any additional advice would be greatly appreciated since I have only been able to demo one of my four choices which are:

1. Onoff Plus Forged

2. Tourstage X-Blade 703

3. Yamaha X V Forged

4. Epon AF-302

I have hit a demo of the 302 and did like it way more than the 502 demo, so the 502 is not in contention nor is anything else please. I've got enough on the plate right now with the above four choices. About my game, float around 6 to 8 handicap, iron play is the best part of my game, not a big hitter 90-92 mph driver swingspeed 76 mph 6 iron swingspeed. I have in the past played Titleist 690cb's then went through a number of game improvement irons and currently play a set of Callaway X-20's which are like house guests that stay too long.......it's time for them to go!

Any experience with the above, advice, whatever please give me your opinions. I've been saving a long time to do this and I hope to get it as close to right as possible with all of your help. Thanks!

Jim

Oh yeah, I too am excited to see how Tario's forged iron shootout goes as well!!!!!

the on -off are very nice for a cavity MB not much better. around . a bit of offset in them but not too much to upset ur eye. had a hit on sat with those. eassssssssssssssy peassssssssssy. soft and high. i thnk they are a fantastic club , for a higher handicapper or someone wanting to use a 2ndary cavity MB style instead ofa blade. these are perfect. thats what my bud uses his for. 2ndary set. But as a primary set ,and if ur a good ironsman.. id say the epons are a more workable peformer. u wont notice any differnce in quality between. those tho. just the epons are a bit more tradesmanlike.. compared to the on offs which are so nice and easy. the xblade 901 are someting u might want to look at as well. they just rock. MUCH more workable sensational balde iron , very small very and an uber piercing flight.

1. Onoff Plus Forged

2. Tourstage X-Blade 703

3. Yamaha X V Forged

4. Epon AF-302

Jim

Hi Jim,

This is what I suggest:

1. Epon AF-302

2. TourStage 703 Limited ( could be sold out )

3. PRGR GN502 Tour Forged

4. Fourteen 910

5. TM R9 Forged

6. TM Burner TP

These are all players CB's. If your striking is a strong point you should do fine with them.

Try and demo some shafts too - Nippon steel, and Shimada for instance.... for somewhat lower swing speeds, there's plenty of choice and can make a huge difference to any of the iron sets.

If you hit and liked the 302, I would go with that. You know exactly what you are getting.

I can tell you the other 3 choices are good also, Tourstage are usually soft, OnOff easy to hit, Yamaha a little more solid feeling. But if you have the luxury of trying out an iron and liking it, then stay with it.

Try and demo some shafts too - Nippon steel, and Shimada for instance.... for somewhat lower swing speeds, there's plenty of choice and can make a huge difference to any of the iron sets.

i agree, the nippons are spectacular with the epon heads. check out the super peening line up if you want something heavier.

the on -off are very nice for a cavity MB not much better. around . a bit of offset in them but not too much to upset ur eye. had a hit on sat with those. eassssssssssssssy peassssssssssy. soft and high. i thnk they are a fantastic club , for a higher handicapper or someone wanting to use a 2ndary cavity MB style instead ofa blade. these are perfect. thats what my bud uses his for. 2ndary set.

The ONOFF Plus Forged 2009 model are considered a single digit/athelete model and played by Katayama Shingo, they are not a high handicapper model at all, as the lack the forgiveness and automatic characteristics to be one. they in fact have less offset than the Epon's and a thinner topline. They do have an average golfer/high handicapper model and it's called the ONOFF Red.

I'm not that bit a fan of the 703 Limited...I prefer the looks and the performance of the 703 much more and it seems the case as well here in Japan of the consumer. The 703 Limited is much more like a blade and has a much less forgiving sole than the friendly and great performing 703.

You definitely have to consider the Yamaha V forged though of the bunch they probably have the largest head and most offset (which is still not that much). S20C and very very good feel but surprisingly probably the most forgiving.

Jim is looking at a whole bunch of very good irons, all which could really do the job. It will all come down in the end to what you want head size wise, feel wise and how much forgiveness.

I think I am probably giving away too much of my findings in my test... (^_^)

Tario, I feel a little guilty getting you to commit (sorta) before your full forged iron shoot out is complete but thanks for your input. The 302's are a great iron and I really liked them but if, say the Yamaha irons are a good fit for me then the difference in price between them and the epons allows me to pick up a PRGR egg spoon as well based on my budget. Great problem to have!!

1. Onoff Plus Forged

2. Tourstage X-Blade 703

3. Yamaha X V Forged

4. Epon AF-302

Jim

I have played the Tourstage 703 (not limited) and OnOff forged and both are really good irons. If I was going to chose between those two irons, it would be the Tourstage based on my preference for feel. Although you said it was between those four iron sets, I would also recommend the Fourteen 910.

As you can all imagine its not easy to properly review 10+ irons at once.

Without giving too much away, the Yamaha V Forged is more a small to mid sized cavity (some may say mid as size is subjective). The tour model is much smaller. It is very comparable to the 703 and maybe more forgiving due to a touch more offset and maybe a little bit longer head from heel to toe.

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up going with the Epon 302/701 combo set with TT GS95 shafts. I think I would have always second guessed myself if I hadn't gone with the Epons since I had demo'd the 302 and liked it a bunch and knew nothing about the other irons except for what I had read here and other sites. Will give a review after they arrive and I have a chance to take them out for a round or two.

Ended up going with the Epon 302/701 combo set with TT GS95 shafts. I think I would have always second guessed myself if I hadn't gone with the Epons since I had demo'd the 302 and liked it a bunch and knew nothing about the other irons except for what I had read here and other sites. Will give a review after they arrive and I have a chance to take them out for a round or two.

Can't really go wrong with Epons.....even though they are a litlle 'spendy'.

Love mine

Have Mizuno MP 37's/ Miura MB 5003's, had EPon 301's and Japan Burners. Just got the Epon 302s. Miura's and 302's are the best. But if you're looking for THE softest, most incredible feeling mother#$(@&$(# irons in the world. The 302's are them. These are UNbelievable man. Holy s**t.

Can't really go wrong with Epons.....even though they are a litlle 'spendy'.

Love mine

Have Mizuno MP 37's/ Miura MB 5003's, had EPon 301's and Japan Burners. Just got the Epon 302s. Miura's and 302's are the best. But if you're looking for THE softest, most incredible feeling mother#$(@&$(# irons in the world. The 302's are them. These are UNbelievable man. Holy s**t.

It's not right to tease a guy waiting for his new irons to arrive with statements like that!