iphone Thread! How many of you own one or want to?

The iphone has been one of the hottest gadgets of the past couple of years.

This topic is to talk iphone what you like about it what you don't, why you want one why you don't. Cool tips and tricks etc.

Admittedly I don't own one but there is a reason for that.

iphone is exclusively available on Softbank here in Japan.

2 years ago when I moved to Japan I was on Softbank but when I bought my house out in the Chiba countryside, I fell into the dreaded Softbank rural poor signal syndrome.

Actually inside my new house I got ZERO signal.

Because of this I ended up switching to Docomo which probably has the strongest network throughout Japan.

So as you can imagine, with me being a tech junkie, I have craved for a iphone for these past two years.

So much that I went out and got an ipod touch to fiddle with so I could learn the inner workings of these devices.

This is my contribution to this thread since I don't actually have an iphone... yet.

I have the 3rd gen touch on 3.13 firmward and I upgraded to iOS 4.0 and then jailbroke the device using comex's jailbreakme.com which does the jailbreaking right over the internet and installs Cydia right on your touch or iphone for app installing. (jailbreaking a device is not for everyone so user beware)

iOS 4 (which is for ipad, iphone and touch) has features users have always wanted such as changing homescreen wallpaper and multitasking as well as an abundence of other fixes and features but users still want more which is why the jailbreak comes into play.

Once jailbroken I proceeded to connect to the touch using SSH (secure shell) to in order to install mobile terminal then using mobile terminal's command prompt change the root password from apple's default alpine.

Jailbreaking allows you to see the inner workings of your apple device and move files on and off your idevice like I did with the below screencaps from my touch.

post-8383-030972500 1281138758.png

New iOS 4 allows you to change the home screen of your springboard:

post-8383-084885200 1281138766.png

However you can change the entire look once jailbroken like I did with a new theme:

post-8383-032167900 1281138765.png

You can now multitask with iOS 4 but double clicking the home button:

post-8383-063019900 1281138769.png

So let's post about the iphone (and ipod touch for that matter), it's a fun topic for any gadget lover!

I would like to get the new iphone4 but AT&T sucks in my location. At my desk in my office I have to lean forward to get reception.

My living room and kitchen drop calls ever minute. Rumor is early 2011 there will be a new one that corrects antenna issues but little good that will do me if my reception is poor.

Thanks for posting about this in our new section T. Lots of people are curious about jail breaking. FYI to everyone its not illegal to do.

i would go with the Droid Incredible.

It truly is an iphone killer.

Verizon coverage is best in the states and the droid apps are open source so the choices are limitless.

The droid has live wallpaper which is really cool , 8M camera, and has 6GB of internal memory and a mini SD card slot for all those MP3's, I hate iTunes.

You can change batteries, you can't do that on an iphone.

i would go with the Droid Incredible.

It truly is an iphone killer.

Verizon coverage is best in the states and the droid apps are open source so the choices are limitless.

The droid has live wallpaper which is really cool , 8M camera, and has 6GB of internal memory and a mini SD card slot for all those MP3's, I hate iTunes.

You can change batteries, you can't do that on an iphone.

Jack that looks pretty good. If it's google and android then it'll be on docomo... gotta check it out.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/19/droid-incredible-review/

Edit: I found it, it's called HTC Desire in Japan and damn it is on Softbank... again.

I have been using the Iphone 4 for about 1 month now. I don't understand whats the hype about call drops as i think it is relatively stable. I upgraded my 3G to this cause its getting too slow. Actually is almost the same as the 3GS , SO 3GS owners i suggest you don't change unless you are really an apple fan. i don't think there are much changes.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried iphones 3 times. Can't stand AT&T when for reception and the fact that its GSM based which kills me in Japan.

I will look at the iphone CDMA version when it comes to verizon.

Just got rid of my blackberry 9700 and got an iphone 4. Best designed piece of electronics i've ever used (and that's a lot of electronics). It's brilliantly designed. Need a case though. Biggest surprise is how easy it is to text with the touch screen. Way easier than my blackberry. Predictive text is flawless. U can just mash buttons and it predicts things accurately.

• 1 month later...

So I finally decided to get of my butt & enter the digital age. Got my wife's hand me down iphone 3G activated. I'm still tinkering with it but, it looks promising although, the 3G signal could be better when I'm at work in the city.

• 1 year later...

I couldn't live with out my IPhone 4...

There's 3 major events in this world which involved apple:

Adam and Eve

Newton and Gravity

And my iPhone!!

D

I'm back to an Iphone now, 4S.

Jumped from a ton of the latest droids and just overall like the quality of Apple products and the software iOS5.

GF just killed her iPhone!

• 1 month later...

Went from Droid to Iphone 4 and like it much better.

• 4 weeks later...

Look at Potuna, a new set of Onoff irons and an iPhone-he is styling! Of course I have an iPhone.

• 3 months later...

own an iphone 4 never look backkkk

Think that could be said for ALL Apples products?