GSS German 303 vs JIS SUS 303

TourSpecGolfer

1007160001.jpg

As many already know Gold's Factory does many Scotty Cameron putter tune up's in Japan. People actually send in their circle T's for major modification. Some Cameron fan's fully trick out their GSS (German Stainless Steel) putters as well.

We already know that GSS is a version of 303 steel similar to what other putter makers such as Gold's Factory use for many of their putter models.

Master Sasaya wanted to find out exactly what the differences were between J.I.S grade SUS303 from his supplier and Scotty's GSS German Stainless 303.

The results of the testing out of a U.S based laboratory indeed show they are both 303.

The main and most important minerals to take note of here are Nickel and Chromium. These in higher amounts produce the rewarding feel people hold dear in SUS303 putters. It's interesting to see that both Nickel & Chromium are higher in the JIS 303 vs GSS303.

This test was not intended to criticize GSS Scotty Cameron quality but rather show how J.I.S Japan Made quality is to the world's highest standards.

2010-09-01_08.48.42.jpg

1007160001.jpg

As many already know Gold's Factory does many Scotty Cameron putter tune up's in Japan. People actually send in their circle T's for major modification. Some Cameron fan's fully trick out their GSS (German Stainless Steel) putters as well.

We already know that GSS is a version of 303 steel similar to what other putter makers such as Gold's Factory use for many of their putter models.

Master Sasaya wanted to find out exactly what the differences were between J.I.S grade SUS303 from his supplier and Scotty's GSS German Stainless 303.

The results of the testing out of a U.S based laboratory indeed show they are both 303.

The main and most important minerals to take note of here are Nickel and Chromium. These in higher amounts produce the rewarding feel people hold dear in SUS303 putters. It's interesting to see that both Nickel & Chromium are higher in the JIS 303 vs GSS303.

This test was not intended to criticize GSS Scotty Cameron quality but rather show how J.I.S Japan Made quality is to the world's highest standards.

2010-09-01_08.48.42.jpg

Don't really want to sound like a smart a#*, but every batch will porbably be different. I'm also not sure one can generalize the quality of the steel. For example I believe Sulfur and Phosphorus are an unwanted elements in steel. And those 2 values are (just marginal) higher in the JIS 303. Sulfur can lead to cracks during the forging process and Phospherus can cause the loss of ductility if the temperatur of heat treatment is too low. I hope I still remember those things correctly. Please do not hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong. I want to emphasize that I do not know which one is better nor do I want to influence someones opinion. It was just an observation.

Don't really want to sound like a smart a#*, but every batch will porbably be different. I'm also not sure one can generalize the quality of the steel. For example I believe Sulfur and Phosphorus are an unwanted elements in steel. And those 2 values are (just marginal) higher in the JIS 303. Sulfur can lead to cracks during the forging process and Phospherus can cause the loss of ductility if the temperatur of heat treatment is too low. I hope I still remember those things correctly. Please do not hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong. I want to emphasize that I do not know which one is better nor do I want to influence someones opinion. It was just an observation.

I hear what your saying that each batch, putter, sample will differ but there is a tolerance for this very reason and in order for it to actually remain within the 303 category it has to fall into those parameters.

I'm pretty sure we can rule out the issues that sulfur and phosphorus pose. Ductility and cracks have never been an attribute or related to putters, let alone U.S, J.I.S, or GSS.

I think Sasaya-san posted this info to show where J.I.S stands in comparison to Scotty's GSS.

cracks should not be a problem in putter making, because for those 303 materials, the putter is cut out from a block of steel. There is no forging on 303. THe reason to use 303 is to cut it out.

In terms of purity and quality, 304 should be a better. I'd say, steel is not golf or diamond, it is just not some precious material that really should be considered high grade or rare material. 303 and 304 are very widely used.

• 2 weeks later...