Miura to Callaway Proto's to epon

rjklein4470

Last year I was playing Miura 201's very nice set of irons. Once I really stated playing well I switched to Callaway Proto's, awsome set of irons, but then I got injured. I had full reconstructive elbow surgery and I thought after three months of rehab I was just going to be able to pick up my proto's and be right back in the 70's. Nope did'nt happen, so I wanted a soft JDM set of cavity backs and this is when I found Epon 302's. Because I loved the Endo feel of the callaway proto's I thought for sure the Epon's would be as good.

The epon's are special, and for now I have Graphite Designs Tour AD shafts in them to protect my injuries. I really like these irons, but I got hooked on Epon, so I took the leap of faith and bought the AF 201 driver, and 3 wood. The driver and 3 wood are amazing. I would have bought the Epon wedges but I could not get them for a decent price so I settled for Kenmochi's. Loving my bag right now, and I just wanted to share with everybody that Epon is the Wood!!

However I do not understand why Epon is so hard to find in the US, and everybody is still on the Miura band waggon. I liked the Miura's but feel the grinds on the Epon's are more suited to softer fairways. On firm fairways the Miura's really shine, but when they are wet get your shovels out.

Last year I was playing Miura 201's very nice set of irons. Once I really stated playing well I switched to Callaway Proto's, awsome set of irons, but then I got injured. I had full reconstructive elbow surgery and I thought after three months of rehab I was just going to be able to pick up my proto's and be right back in the 70's. Nope did'nt happen, so I wanted a soft JDM set of cavity backs and this is when I found Epon 302's. Because I loved the Endo feel of the callaway proto's I thought for sure the Epon's would be as good.

The epon's are special, and for now I have Graphite Designs Tour AD shafts in them to protect my injuries. I really like these irons, but I got hooked on Epon, so I took the leap of faith and bought the AF 201 driver, and 3 wood. The driver and 3 wood are amazing. I would have bought the Epon wedges but I could not get them for a decent price so I settled for Kenmochi's. Loving my bag right now, and I just wanted to share with everybody that Epon is the Wood!!

However I do not understand why Epon is so hard to find in the US, and everybody is still on the Miura band waggon. I liked the Miura's but feel the grinds on the Epon's are more suited to softer fairways. On firm fairways the Miura's really shine, but when they are wet get your shovels out.

hmmmmmmm, you have summed up my feelings on those irons perfectly.

i was tying to get a set of miura blades to play links and firm turf ,windy days etcetc, ive recentyly re instated my sakamotos for that exact purpose. small sole ,compact head ,low punch shots.

the epon are just unbeatable on lush green sponge conditions. but the sole on them is quite thick and i found i was making a lot more mistakes with them off tight cropped fairways compared to my kyoeis, i even think the af-tour s arnt as good as clubs with smaller soles.bridgestone 901s are a prime example,

in terms of Endo forging, ive seen the light here recently. especially on the woods. i ve hit so many and varied this year , but now ill only use yamaha and epon drivers.

and thats 100* beceause of the feel , there are problay longer clubs out there but for my lot and that swoosh when you connect epon wins hands down.

Ok the Epon driver is a AF 102 sorry about that, but what ever the number is the feel is even better. The epon woods, have a beautiful shape, and the feel is perfect. I agree on the grinds, if I am going to play firm fairways I will bring my Proto's, because the epon's play a little too much bounce for the thickness but it is rare that our fairways in Indiana are firm.

I also agree with your assessment. My 301's are the backups to the X-Proto's out here in the Palm Springs area. Always tight turf conditions here and as a digger I feel that I need a little more bounce to my Epons. Possibly " Muira Forged" TM cb's (2005 tour) are the back-backups to these sets.

Ken S