Iron shafts

supo

iron shafts  

60 members have voted

1. 1. which iron shafts are most prefered?

Just sitting here pondering the feel of my different iron shafts .

i recenlty got a set of rifle brushed satin flighted 6.0 and used them on the weekend , really loved the feel of them. very differnt feel to my others

they are very pingy and uber direct quite slingshotty , i just had them instaleld in my miura 1957 and i wont be touching them. suit beautifully

i have always been a really big fan of the NS pro ive got the 950s in my epon 302s which suit really well a bit more flex gives that big head a beautiful sling shot to it. and highlights the feel of the head perfectly. prefect match. my bets feeling iron set.

The NS 1050x in my kyoeis suit and feel absolutely superb in those heads and i will never change them . they are very direct and give an instant reposnse to what ive hit love that feel

ive got the KBS in my epon af tour they feel great like they were made for each other,.

a set of DG s400 in my yururi flatbacks suit ok, but ithink id rather swap them to ns pro 1050 x which have slightyly stiffer,but lively feel to them i realy didnt think id notice a differnce in shafts last yr but when i really think about it i most certianly can.

am i missing any glaring examples i need to try???

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i recenlty got a set of rifle brushed satin flighted 6.0 and used them on the weekend , really loved the feel of them. very differnt feel to my others

they are very pingy and uber direct quite slingshotty , i just had them instaleld in my miura 1957 and i wont be touching them. suit beautifully

i have always been a really big fan of the NS pro ive got the 950s in my epon 302s which suit really well a bit more flex gives that big head a beautiful sling shot to it. and highlights the feel of the head perfectly. prefect match. my bets feeling iron set.

The NS 1050x in my kyoeis suit and feel absolutely superb in those heads and i will never change them . they are very direct and give an instant reposnse to what ive hit love that feel

ive got the KBS in my epon af tour they feel great like they were made for each other,.

a set of DG s400 in my yururi flatbacks suit ok, but ithink id rather swap them to ns pro 1050 x which have slightyly stiffer,but lively feel to them i realy didnt think id notice a differnce in shafts last yr but when i really think about it i most certianly can.

I am pretty each iron shaft would suit different heads. I use to have NS pros installed on Fourteens and i hate it i don't know why. I sold them obviously. But Ns pros work wonders with GT forged. As for Epons i prefer DG's GS series over the PX shafts. I could say they are a perfect match.

I think you have pretty much covered them all. Time to try those graphite for irons so that we have a better understanding on those babies.

I like heavy shafts and have up until now favoured DGs300 and Project X over lighter Nippons and KBS. Have never tried the much-touted Nippon Super Peening Blues though - I think they would work well for me too.

Next project is building a set with Aerotech Steelifiber i125 shafts, from all accounts they play like Project X (very tip stiff, lower spin), but with much better feel. Will report back in a couple of weeks!

i have tried them all twice over , maybe more. do remember that certain shafts fit certain types of people and swing

profiles. ones favorite can be another ones worst! do note that i love the nspros for their feel. has that friendly

slingshot feel, while others will complain about the ball flight i have no problem with mine. the super peenings

have different types of kickpoints. so for those complaining about the excessive height i invite you to try the

super peening blues which is a butt kick shaft.

Kbs i found harsh, dgs even harsher. my favorite non japanese shafts are PX flighted which others find harsh:)

different strokes for different folks.

I like heavy shafts and have up until now favoured DGs300 and Project X over lighter Nippons and KBS. Have never tried the much-touted Nippon Super Peening Blues though - I think they would work well for me too.

Next project is building a set with Aerotech Steelifiber i125 shafts, from all accounts they play like Project X (very tip stiff, lower spin), but with much better feel. Will report back in a couple of weeks!

I play the aerotech 110 in my Epon 502's and love them. As the feel of graphite but the control of steel and they do play stiffer than one woulf think. I have the 125's in my wedges.

I Play the Super Peening Blue, the main difference for me is distance control i found the PrjX and KBS can really shoot off and over club at times. I would try and play the 3/4 shot that would end up going as long as a full probably due to the low spin but the Super Peening are a lot better and Dynamic Golds are much the same No 1 and 2 for sure. i think the KBS is the king for those windy days, dont seem to ballon as much into the wind even with the higher launch

I Play the Super Peening Blue, the main difference for me is distance control i found the PrjX and KBS can really shoot off and over club at times. I would try and play the 3/4 shot that would end up going as long as a full probably due to the low spin but the Super Peening are a lot better and Dynamic Golds are much the same No 1 and 2 for sure. i think the KBS is the king for those windy days, dont seem to ballon as much into the wind even with the higher launch

WELL ,WELL ,WELL, i was at the range this arvo and ns had demo day out there . got the super peening blue?? yes they did. hit it i did order them im going to. im converted 100% might be some kbs and ns pro 1050 x up for sale next week! there is indeed a big differnce.

WELL ,WELL ,WELL, i was at the range this arvo and ns had demo day out there . got the super peening blue?? yes they did. hit it i did order them im going to. im converted 100% might be some kbs and ns pro 1050 x up for sale next week! there is indeed a big differnce.

I look forward to hearing how the SP blues go. Did you end up going with s or x flex by the way?

Cheers

I look forward to hearing how the SP blues go. Did you end up going with s or x flex by the way?

Cheers

s flex.. il post next week when i get em done, great looking shaft as wel that light blue looks really cool.

Is it really that much of a difference, i am interested to know now.... must search .... must search.....

anyone can answer me with the difference of the super peening brown? I think the blue would be too heavy...

anyone can answer me with the difference of the super peening brown? I think the blue would be too heavy...

Demoed a Blue with a Epon 302 7 iron, The blue felt heavier than the KBS Tour & the ball flight was more piercing. Too heavy for me. The brown is listed with a low kickpoint & weight is much lighter, around 106 grams.

browns will be higher launching since the kickpoint is low. these will launch higher than even the ns950

browns will be higher launching since the kickpoint is low. these will launch higher than even the ns950

Thanks for that. Appreciate the info.

I like sticking to the tried and true NSPROs. The S200 feel a bit too "hard" for me.

well said. something about the nspros that make em friendlier and well engineered. by march/april there

will be more models for the better players. one of the nspro protos will make it into production

• 3 weeks later...

i gamed the SP blue on sunday in the epon 302s. my initial thoughts were wow these are super heavy. quite a bit heavier.

it was pointed out that they actually arnt that much heavier @ 125 gram , but the swing weight felt a lot heavier.

it made me concentrate on turning my hands over , every shot otherwise i was leaving it out right ,but hey thtas not abad miss really .it wasnt a slice just a block, that i can live with. when i did get them well the results were great.

very tight and distance control was sensational.

found i was 3/4 swinging and punching more than i normally do and getting the ball tighter than i have in the past.

it slowed my tempo and swing speed down and bec of that i felt i got a lot better control.

thumbs up.

im changing shafts in all my irons now to these.

for my tempo, which is slow up hands to about 10pm then smooth down and stong into the ball , they were a good help.

as i said if i dont turn the hands over then the ball blocks which ill take allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll day.

Sounds great to me too!. Could you comment on the feel please?

Tomorrow I pick up my "vintage" PRGR neo-blade heads fitted with "modern" Aerotech Steelfiber i125(s) composite shafts (described in my previous post this thread). Will also report how they play/feel and stick some photos in the WITB section. Hmmmmmm, they have big shoes to fill with current PRGR irons (see sig), which have taken my HCP from 8 down to 4.6 the last couple of months (sure, I need a new set of irons!!!!).

Cut/ paste from Old vs New thread earlier...

"Tomorrow I am starting my latest "old meets new" project - pairing some prgr TR900 "neo blade" limited forged iron heads (circa 2005?) with some 125g Aerotech Steelfiber hybrid graphite/steel iron shafts (graphite core, steel filament windings) - the hypothesis to this project is that this combination will play much like my current iron set (which I love!!.....see signature), but with even better feel - and when I play 3 days straight at Barnbougle Dunes in Feb 2011, these will be kind to my 40 year old body, and I will feel every shot!"

Will report after game on Friday....

• 3 weeks later...

Cut/ paste from Old vs New thread earlier...

"Tomorrow I am starting my latest "old meets new" project - pairing some prgr TR900 "neo blade" limited forged iron heads (circa 2005?) with some 125g Aerotech Steelfiber hybrid graphite/steel iron shafts (graphite core, steel filament windings) - the hypothesis to this project is that this combination will play much like my current iron set (which I love!!.....see signature), but with even better feel - and when I play 3 days straight at Barnbougle Dunes in Feb 2011, these will be kind to my 40 year old body, and I will feel every shot!"

Will report after game on Friday....

Update on above project, this summer has been excessively wet, so no great chance to compare back-to-back. On holidays this week and rain has stopped for now, so will get a chance this week.

Feel does seem to be amazing in TR900/ Steelfiber combo, so excited to get on the range and compare properly.

Happy New Year TSG-ers!!

• 3 weeks later...

I prefer Project X in my irons and DG Spinners in my wedges. I have used Rifles in my wedge also with great success.

I prefer Project X in my irons and DG Spinners in my wedges. I have used Rifles in my wedge also with great success.

just reshafted my irons with the DG TI s400 shafts havent gamed it yet though. have a set of px 6.0 as back up.

the dg spinners are the only wedge shafts i have not tried.

Interested to know some suggestions as to the best shafts to put in your irons if you're looking for two key factors....control and softness. In terms of softness I'm thinking more of vibration dampening - a shaft that can play its part in helping the shots to feel as soft (and solid) as possible and keep any nasty jars well away from my 50-year-old arthritic joints. I'm finding the Japanese clubs with a S/R flex suit my clubhead speed. Now I'm getting my hands on the recently re-released and updated gunmetal Cleveland TA7 irons and want to put a great shaft in them - the factory product only has a limited, and no custom, shaft option.

Interested to know some suggestions as to the best shafts to put in your irons if you're looking for two key factors....control and softness. In terms of softness I'm thinking more of vibration dampening - a shaft that can play its part in helping the shots to feel as soft (and solid) as possible and keep any nasty jars well away from my 50-year-old arthritic joints. I'm finding the Japanese clubs with a S/R flex suit my clubhead speed. Now I'm getting my hands on the recently re-released and updated gunmetal Cleveland TA7 irons and want to put a great shaft in them - the factory product only has a limited, and no custom, shaft option.

For the "softness or vibration dampening" you may want to look into graphite iron shafts.

For the "softness or vibration dampening" you may want to look into graphite iron shafts.

Yes I actually prefer the graphite over steel. So any tips on the better graphite options out there ? Price is no object - just want the best.