Iron shafts

supo

iron shafts  

60 members have voted

1. 1. which iron shafts are most prefered?

Yes I actually prefer the graphite over steel. So any tips on the better graphite options out there ? Price is no object - just want the best.

Best is too subjective. What is "best" for me or others may not be right for you...

I have only tried the Graphite Design Tour AD iron shafts & they worked for me when I tweaked my back. There are a lot of options out there (Crazy, Quadra, Matrix Ozik, & so on).

Start a new thread in the TSG Club Fitting Studio and Club Building Advice section & provide more information about your swing & what you're looking for (i.e. weight, flex, trajectory,etc.) so that others can help you out better.

Edited by FatMan

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes indeed, BEST is very subjective in golf equipment. I will have to try out a few options myself and make a call then. I've got a nice shortlist anyway from reading this thread and others in the club-fitting section.

• 2 weeks later...

I have always been a huge advocate of Nippons for ultra high quality, stability and buttery smooth feel however the newcomer KBS has come on quite nicely. I recently shafted my 2011 gamers with a set of very limited tour only prototype satin KBS stepless shafts, yes I said satin and stepless!!! For those who didn't know the designer (and owner I believe) of KBS shafts also designed the origional satin Rifle Project X shafts. While I found the KBS Tour model a very capable player these prototypes have a smoother and more refined feel, good stuff. Look for these to release sometime late first quarter 2011...BB

Edited by BigBen

I have always been a huge advocate of Nippons for ultra high quality, stability and buttery smooth feel however the newcomer KBS has come on quite nicely. I recently shafted my 2011 gamers with a set of very limited tour only prototype satin KBS stepless shafts, yes I said satin and stepless!!! For those who didn't know the designer (and owner I believe) of KBS shafts also designed the origional satin Rifle Project X shafts. While I found the KBS Tour model a very capable player these prototypes have a smoother and more refined feel, good stuff. Look for these to release sometime late first quarter 2011...BB

managed to get a set of the NS modus 3 120 tour stiff shafts. winging their way to me as we speak.

they are going into my epon af tours to be sst pured by the good divot doctor.

ready to play by march.., and a set of those wv wedge shafts in 125 going into a set of 48-52-58* tourstage x-drive 03 wedges. i dug out of the recesses of my "mancave".

along with the ns blues im thinking ill be set. iron wise for the foreseeable future. report on them as soon as they are done bec it will be str8 off to the range for a humongous sesshy.

managed to get a set of the NS modus 3 120 tour stiff shafts. winging their way to me as we speak.

they are going into my epon af tours to be sst pured by the good divot doctor.

ready to play by march.., and a set of those wv wedge shafts in 125 going into a set of 48-52-58* tourstage x-drive 03 wedges. i dug out of the recesses of my "mancave".

along with the ns blues im thinking ill be set. iron wise for the foreseeable future. report on them as soon as they are done bec it will be str8 off to the range for a humongous sesshy.

realy looking forward to your review! first person in asia i know to game and have those shafts.

unless of course your friend in the P.I. still has them. did you get the S or X flex?

i wonder what else is in that mancave. have any sakai knives?

realy looking forward to your review! first person in asia i know to game and have those shafts.

unless of course your friend in the P.I. still has them. did you get the S or X flex?

i wonder what else is in that mancave. have any sakai knives?

ha........, nope . just piles and piels of godonlyknowswhat.

im scared to look too deeply in case a goblin jumps out.

theres some goodies amonst this lot!

• 3 months later...

ha........, nope . just piles and piels of godonlyknowswhat.

im scared to look too deeply in case a goblin jumps out.

theres some goodies amonst this lot!

Eiks. Never seen anyone has so many golf clubs. I thought i was bad enough ...... :)

Now i don't feel as bad

Eiks. Never seen anyone has so many golf clubs. I thought i was bad enough ...... :)

Now i don't feel as bad

B, between the two locations, I have about the same if not more. I still have JDM TM bubble shaft (blue) woods and 300cc PRGR Data.

B, between the two locations, I have about the same if not more. I still have JDM TM bubble shaft (blue) woods and 300cc PRGR Data.

I don't feel as bad R i only have half of that. I still have a TM bubble shaft too. if not 2. LOL

well. heres a little aside.

i picked up 2 sets of the NS "tour" shafts the precursors to the modus 3 they released this yr

the actual shafts played by a "so -cal" tour palyer and a set by Paul casy.

the ora and the f215

i took them in last night to get fitted to my newly beloved yamaha irons and.......................,

no can do came the reply.

"what are u insane?"

not unless iwant a SW of d5 -D6

gulp.........................,

what to do, what to do...................................

well. heres a little aside.

i picked up 2 sets of the NS "tour" shafts the precursors to the modus 3 they released this yr

the actual shafts played by a "so -cal" tour palyer and a set by Paul casy.

the ora and the f215

i took them in last night to get fitted to my newly beloved yamaha irons and.......................,

no can do came the reply.

"what are u insane?"

not unless iwant a SW of d5 -D6

gulp.........................,

what to do, what to do...................................

sw of d5-d6 is ok, mine are d8.

i played my oras + .5" over standard and they were d8 no problem.

i cut the shafts down to standard and they became d3.

also check lengths of your shafts, they could be playing longer than what you

are currently playing.

thats not a problem at all:)

yes they a re mine stock are at 37.5 inch 5 iron

the protos are 38inch

ok ill get them done posyt some piccys

seriusly awsome looking things!

yes they a re mine stock are at 37.5 inch 5 iron

the protos are 38inch

ok ill get them done posyt some piccys

seriusly awsome looking things!

yup they are! hopefully youl be inspired to play like P.C!

ENJOY

Another question for you stew. I bought the NS pro Modus 3 on impulse now i am not sure whether i should use them. I can handle the PX 5.0 no problems. are these way stiffer I have them soft stepped. . Thanks

i didnt find them particualry aggressive at all.

they go high and straight, i liked them a lot.

skippercarey hit them in his mates clubs and killed em. and hes prety handy with an iron by all accounts!

uses the ns blue x , he shud give his opinion as well.

soft steppd ithink will be fine

i think they play on the softer side actually.

soft yet straight. kinda similar to the NS sp orange .

not going to get them to move aroud a lot but they tend to go higher . but i was suing them i nepon af tour ,not the lowest launching head out there,

i didnt find them particualry aggressive at all.

they go high and straight, i liked them a lot.

skippercarey hit them in his mates clubs and killed em. and hes prety handy with an iron by all accounts!

uses the ns blue x , he shud give his opinion as well.

soft steppd ithink will be fine

i think they play on the softer side actually.

soft yet straight. kinda similar to the NS sp orange .

not going to get them to move aroud a lot but they tend to go higher . but i was suing them i nepon af tour ,not the lowest launching head out there,

I appreciate your thoughts. Gonna get em installed tonight. :) that thing has been sitting in the storeroom collecting dust for weeks now.

Status of the protos? Hope that They live up to your

Expectations. I have a feeling that the x ones will fit the bill!

Pics pics

i sgaftd up the yamaha 08 tour 7 iron with the NS prototype "ORA" and ranged it last night, it was playing 0.5inch over Jstock at 38.25 inch!

OBVIOUSLY way to long for me , but some "PGA tour player was playing these exact shafts, at this length!

wh do we knw that plays NS and must be 6'2 + ???????

these were his.

i choked down a heap and hit balls a plenty and ill say un reservedly these are bloody fantastic!

the flight is high ish but not one of those flights tha look like u see the wind under the ball psuhig it up and backspinning.

juts gets high stiks to a flight path and falls over at apex.

small moveable both ways , th complete opposite to a boardy feel but not as lively as the 1050 range . slightly more dull ,but in a good way. they felt "flat" but were incredibly controlled.

i was hitting the miuraism ks tour 120 and the epon af tour ns supepeening orange x along side, all felt totally differnt .

the orange were the highest and ahrdest to move. the ks tour just feel good. mid lfight moveable, non ballooning, perfect i nthe isms

the yamaha tho was the one i ket gong back to t ohit mre balls.

the thing is ill have to cut these 1/2 an inch and re grip them to play them.

isnt htat like painting over an art work to suit ur eye better???

i sgaftd up the yamaha 08 tour 7 iron with the NS prototype "ORA" and ranged it last night, it was playing 0.5inch over Jstock at 38.25 inch!

OBVIOUSLY way to long for me , but some "PGA tour player was playing these exact shafts, at this length!

wh do we knw that plays NS and must be 6'2 + ???????

these were his.

i choked down a heap and hit balls a plenty and ill say un reservedly these are bloody fantastic!

the flight is high ish but not one of those flights tha look like u see the wind under the ball psuhig it up and backspinning.

juts gets high stiks to a flight path and falls over at apex.

small moveable both ways , th complete opposite to a boardy feel but not as lively as the 1050 range . slightly more dull ,but in a good way. they felt "flat" but were incredibly controlled.

i was hitting the miuraism ks tour 120 and the epon af tour ns supepeening orange x along side, all felt totally differnt .

the orange were the highest and ahrdest to move. the ks tour just feel good. mid lfight moveable, non ballooning, perfect i nthe isms

the yamaha tho was the one i ket gong back to t ohit mre balls.

the thing is ill have to cut these 1/2 an inch and re grip them to play them.

isnt htat like painting over an art work to suit ur eye better???

the oras were my favorite. doesnt make sense keeping em long, they shall improve cutting em down to jspec standard.

trust me they will indeed

yea. ive decided to do that today and play them tomorrow in the yamaha 08s.

cant bring myself to swap out the X-100s in the 2010s tho they were absolutely prefect in everyway.

i tibnk the epon af tours are destined to get the f214s and the f215s form paul casey i think might be going into the yamaha 2011s

i really , really do think i have too many irons.........,

yea. ive decided to do that today and play them tomorrow in the yamaha 08s.

cant bring myself to swap out the X-100s in the 2010s tho they were absolutely prefect in everyway.

i tibnk the epon af tours are destined to get the f214s and the f215s form paul casey i think might be going into the yamaha 2011s

i really , really do think i have too many irons.........,

put the 2s15 in a lower launching head and the 2s14 in a mid to higher launching head.

remember the 2s14 are the protos of the SP BLUES but way way smoother.

btw, when did you get the yamaha 2011s? or are you planning on just getting them :tsg_smiley_cop:

im in ................... negotiation right now.

my "friend" just got a set in but the price is ,,, whoa boy up there cazaley.

im trying to do deal to get these for another goody ive got.

the 214s for the epon af tours then?

and the 215s for the yammy 2011s?

also flattening the lie on the aftours , that ok right?

Edited by supo67

im in ................... negotiation right now.

my "friend" just got a set in but the price is ,,, whoa boy up there cazaley.

im trying to do deal to get these for another goody ive got.

the 214s for the epon af tours then?

and the 215s for the yammy 2011s?

also flattening the lie on the aftours , that ok right?

do you reckon the 2011 tours will launch lower than the aftours, if yes then

this is the recipe for a wicked mix

the 214s for the epon af tours

and the 215s for the yammy 2011s

for your info:

2F15 - 124g-125g, Counter Balanced, similar to 1150GH Tour, higher spin and higher launch of the 4 models.

2S14 - 136g-138g, like super peening blues, super heavy, full flex stiffer than X100 in tip, 2times stiffer in butt section but way smoother.