Miura Giken 2006 VS Miura CB 501 VS Epon AF 502

gbs

38 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you prefer Miura Giken 2006, Miura CB 501 or Epon AF 502

• Miura Giken 2006
    • Epon AF 502
    • Miura CB 501

If the OP is still interested in more opinions on this topic... I might have some insight. I've never hit the Miura Giken 2006, but I went from gaming a set of Epon 502's with KBS Tour Stiff for about 6 months and have just picked up a set of Miura 501 with DG Tour Issue S400's. These two sets are worlds apart in the type of player they cater to.

The Epon 502's are extremely forgiving and very easy to hit and elevate. I do agree with those that feel that they have a very clicky sound/feeling to them. After the initial clicky feeling... it feels very soft and powerful. I can see anyone with up to a 30+ handicap playing these irons as they are VERY forgiving and are a little bigger in the topline and sole than you may think for a "mid-capper" iron. Distance loss is minimal on mis**ts towards the heel or the toe.

The Miura 501's on the other hand are a straight-up player's club. The top-line and sole are just as thin if not thinner than ALOT of muscle-back blades out there. I've never mixed and matched the shafts... but the shafts in my Miura 501's feel quite a bit stiffer and a little bit heavier than the KBS Tours. The irons themselves feel harsh off the toe and off the heel, but feel amazing when hit smack-dab in the center (words can't describe the feeling), and produce an heavenly sound. Basically they play like blades but they're a bit easier to elevate in the long irons.

I didn't notice any distance loss in switching over to the Miura 501's even though the lofts are 2* weaker in each iron throughout the entire set due to the more penetrating flight (this may be due to the head, the shaft, or a combination of the two... I'm not sure as I haven't played either iron sets with different shafts). I love both of these sets, but like I said... there's a world of difference in forgiveness. I will add that the Miura's are much more satisfying to hit when struck well. I hope this helps you in your decision.

That would be my opinion of the Epon 502 and Miura 501. I too have never hit the 2006, but the Miura 501s are presently my playing irons. I got them after testing the Miura 202 and 301 as well; and felt that they were easier to hit than the 202s and felt nicer than the 301s. Not sure if I'd call them a 'player's club' -- they're more like 'ex-players' club', decent golfers who want to use easier equipment but can't handle those big chunky performance enhancing things. The 501s are not the easiest irons to hit but they are far from being difficult too, and getting a shot off the sweet spot is like [let me try to put it in words for you]... a small orgasm? Haha!

I was looking for a set of Epons recently and tried the 302s, 502s and 702s, and found them all to be easier to handle than the Miura. The Epons are bigger and thicker (at the topline) than the Miura. The balls seem to rocket off the 502's, though not as hot off the face as the 702s. The patented 'filling' of the head may have something to do with it, not sure, but they do not feel as nice as the 302s or the Miura 501s, nowhere near, in fact. I chose the 302 in the end.

I'd recommend the Epon 502s to players who wish to move up from chunky-monkey performance enhancing irons to a set of 'real' golf clubs. On the flipside, the Miura 501 is more for the better players who wish to move down to easier-to-play irons for some less-stress golf.

I was looking for a set of Epons recently and tried the 302s, 502s and 702s, and found them all to be easier to handle than the Miura. The Epons are bigger and thicker (at the topline) than the Miura. The balls seem to rocket off the 502's, though not as hot off the face as the 702s. The patented 'filling' of the head may have something to do with it, not sure, but they do not feel as nice as the 302s or the Miura 501s, nowhere near, in fact. I chose the 302 in the end.

spot on frank! the 702s are very very hot but coming from the 502s and 302s i will choose the marshmallow feel over the al dente clicky feel of the 702s.

but the 702s are really really forgiving, just hard to pick this if you have tried softer. just me though. i loved my 502s gamed them since they were released

they were perfect but every golfer gets bored with their clubs and just has to change them for no logical or practical reason. lets face it if we are on this site

nothing in the bag will last:)

• 5 months later...

I've posted my thoughts on the CB2006 previously. They are excellent, all business CBs. Firm, solid, and pure. An unsung hero in the Miura range. It doesn't bother me that the style is a few years old - they still look at feel better than >90% of the newer CBs. And perform that way as well! For an aggressive CB, they're hard to beat. I still prefer them to the Epon 502s and 702s, which I hit again last night (see below).

The M501s have been very well characterized by previous posters in this thread; they are a bit more demanding than the 2006s and strike me as a great club for blade players looking for a CB. They look great and feel great on pure shots, but they are more blade like in terms of punishment on mis**ts. Which is fine, given the player Miura is catering to with this club. When I was looking at new clubs 6 months ago, these were the ones I wanted to hit well, but couldn't. I'd like to try them again!

The Epon x02s are very different beasts to either Miura, as has been described umpteen times. I had a chance to hit the Epon range again last night (AF Tours, 302, 502, and 702). They have very similar "Sui generis" aspects that make them the crowd favorites they are: soft and giving as warm butter (where a Miura is more like chilled butter - still soft, same level of tastiness, but firmer). My favorite thing about all the Epons is their amazing ability to get the ball up and away so ridiculously easily. In this regard, their only real competition, a good ways back though, is Yamaha.

I noticed the first time I hit the them, and again last night, that the Epon range gets MUCH better (for my game anyway) at the Tour/302 end of the spectrum. The 702 was good at what it does, but just not what I like; still hate the sound and it is almost too soft. The 502 was like a Yamaha D or V Steel on steroids. The 302 was fantastic, perhaps a hair behind the Yamaha Tour blades for the ability to make every shot feel like the ball was never NOT airborne on that nice flight path. The AF Tour? Honestly, it might be a little ahead of the Yammies in the soft+sweet category, in my opinion. I'd have to hit them side by side to be sure.

spot on frank! the 702s are very very hot but coming from the 502s and 302s i will choose the marshmallow feel over the al dente clicky feel of the 702s.

but the 702s are really really forgiving, just hard to pick this if you have tried softer. just me though. i loved my 502s gamed them since they were released

they were perfect but every golfer gets bored with their clubs and just has to change them for no logical or practical reason. lets face it if we are on this site

nothing in the bag will last:)

Second that. 702s are grip and fire away club..........diff to work them. I had 302s, 502s & 702s - had to get rid of the 7s as its 1-1.5 clubs longer than the other two. 502s play similar to 3s but just much more forgiving. The only thing i dont like abt 502s is the finish........the dirty tint in the cavity looks old. maybe one of those copper / black one may just suit my eyes :-)

I personally think the 302s are the sweetest club out there. Tempted to get te AF tours but know i wont be able to hit them great.

On the side note, just got my PRGR red eyes, cant wait to try 'em out tomo. Just got to find gocchin's inx translation first.

@ Chanaa. You might be surprised by the AF Tours. I'm not a blade player, but I preferred them by a good margin to the 302s. So did a buddy, who is a confirmed and unrepentent GI cavity back player (Yamahas) and wouldn't normally rave about a blade. We both agreed the AF Tour is something really special.

But let's not hijack the OP, which was talking about a very different set of clubs, for a very different game.

Edited by Ara selai

• 2 months later...

the 501's and CB2006 are great for working the ball and a compact setup. 502's are almost on the other end of the spectrum with their size, feel, and offset.

Perhaps something in the middle may do you well. 302's, VG3's, V-Forged, X-Blade CB etc..