Quadra experts pls chime in, What to get FEX 65S OR FEX proto 65s

Spoon

OK guys i had a revelation today, played with my dad today used my 65s di6 with 10.5 102 while my

dad had the 151 with FEX 55r. played 9 holes and i outdrove my dad 30 yards most of the time. we hit

multiple drives per hole since course was empty. as my warmed up he was keeping up with me, and i

was hitting the ball pure! i was puzzled and discovered that my ball was spinning too much. would just

drop from the sky. my dad got tons of roll and had a nice mid to high trajectory. so his ball rolled to

where my ball carried and landed.

so i am getting pure carry while my dad gets carry and roll and drives are about equal. hes 65 and is

easily hitting it at least 260! what blew my mind away is that i tried his driver for the hell of it. it is only

a 55g R shaft and a bit soft but as soon as i hit it my ball exploded into the stratosphere. bloody hell that

was soo high and straight. it just went straight. what is so perplexing is that i carried almost 30 yards past my

dads ball and past my own drive. mind you i landed in a bunker that is around 280ish from the blues. i have

never fell on that trap ever. i doubt though if i would have gotten any roll because the ball just fell from the sky

same as my di6!

so what do you fellas suggest? 65s? sr? i love the feel of the di6s. its perfect so something along those lines in

terms of flex. i like them flexier and want to feel the kick. wondering why i am getting too much spin on the di

when its supposed to be low spin. my launch angle is around 12.5-13* could it be that the di is too soft for me?

hell the 55 FEX R was a wet noodle but easily carried 20 yards beyond my average di6s drives. help me solve this

problem.

i thought i was done with shaft experiments. irons are dialed in perfectly, Ozik f6m2 is great! but the quadra route

is slowly creeping in my thoughts! dont want to open pandoras box yet but will do it anyway! i want to use this

before my club championships next month!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK guys i had a revelation today, played with my dad today used my 65s di6 with 10.5 102 while my

dad had the 151 with FEX 55r. played 9 holes and i outdrove my dad 30 yards most of the time. we hit

multiple drives per hole since course was empty. as my warmed up he was keeping up with me, and i

was hitting the ball pure! i was puzzled and discovered that my ball was spinning too much. would just

drop from the sky. my dad got tons of roll and had a nice mid to high trajectory. so his ball rolled to

so i am getting pure carry while my dad gets carry and roll and drives are about equal. hes 65 and is

easily hitting it at least 260! what blew my mind away is that i tried his driver for the hell of it. it is only

a 55g R shaft and a bit soft but as soon as i hit it my ball exploded into the stratosphere. bloody hell that

was soo high and straight. it just went straight. what is so perplexing is that i carried almost 30 yards past my

dads ball and past my own drive. mind you i landed in a bunker that is around 280ish from the blues. i have

never fell on that trap ever. i doubt though if i would have gotten any roll because the ball just fell from the sky

same as my di6!

so what do you fellas suggest? 65s? sr? i love the feel of the di6s. its perfect so something along those lines in

terms of flex. i like them flexier and want to feel the kick. wondering why i am getting too much spin on the di

when its supposed to be low spin. my launch angle is around 12.5-13* could it be that the di is too soft for me?

hell the 55 FEX R was a wet noodle but easily carried 20 yards beyond my average di6s drives. help me solve this

problem.

i thought i was done with shaft experiments. irons are dialed in perfectly, Ozik f6m2 is great! but the quadra route

is slowly creeping in my thoughts! dont want to open pandoras box yet but will do it anyway! i want to use this

the di 6 i found a little soft but it think its pretty low sin, and mid launching. the di7 skippercarey hit and reallly likes so there must be A big difference between the 2 .

quadra u cant miss with , go a 65s or sx for a bit more tighness. it wont soar i can assure you of that.

the di 6 i found a little soft but it think its pretty low sin, and mid launching. the di7 skippercarey hit and reallly likes so there must be A big difference between the 2 .

quadra u cant miss with , go a 65s or sx for a bit more tighness. it wont soar i can assure you of that.

i am done with the 75g range for driver shafts, i am comfy with the 68-69, di is perfect but on the high side w too much spin.

i will definetely hook myself up with the 65s.

same as my di6!

problem.

the quadras launch pretty low and low spin supo said the proto launches higher tho, but im suprised the DI is falling out the sky i would look at the flex, iv hit the DI6 and DI7 and found the 6 to be a lot softer. maybe move up a flex in the DI6 or the quadra in a s/x, the quadra is a far better shaft IMO

the quadras launch pretty low and low spin supo said the proto launches higher tho, but im suprised the DI is falling out the sky i would look at the flex, iv hit the DI6 and DI7 and found the 6 to be a lot softer. maybe move up a flex in the DI6 or the quadra in a s/x, the quadra is a far better shaft IMO

will definetely be going the quadra route. defintely in the 65g region. still debating though between the proto and ordinary FEX, just worried that the protos would be too beefy and would encourage me to go back to my caveman swing:) im surprised as well that the di6 falls from the sky, i get a nice height only to be let down by the ball falling at the apex.

will definetely be going the quadra route. defintely in the 65g region. still debating though between the proto and ordinary FEX, just worried that the protos would be too beefy and would encourage me to go back to my caveman swing:) im surprised as well that the di6 falls from the sky, i get a nice height only to be let down by the ball falling at the apex.

Carlo,

I am installing the QFE this week in my Yamaha head. I bought the SR flex to install as I am hoping to see long distance but retain the accuracy due to the high carbon content. Tario and I discussed. My SS is around 97 with a average tempo. I tend to release a little early. For me I didn't have the lag for the Proto.

On a side note, I played the DI6 stiff in the 102 when it was first released. Great combo. The shaft stiffness worked well for me.

Carlo,

I am installing the QFE this week in my Yamaha head. I bought the SR flex to install as I am hoping to see long distance but retain the accuracy due to the high carbon content. Tario and I discussed. My SS is around 97 with a average tempo. I tend to release a little early. For me I didn't have the lag for the Proto.

On a side note, I played the DI6 stiff in the 102 when it was first released. Great combo. The shaft stiffness worked well for me.

ss is 105-108 with a fast transition. did a swing change recently and am much smoother than i used to. the di6 s flex is perfect but flight is not working for me.

i am very impressed with the QFE and even though my dads was 55 it went dead straight albeit a little high. scary to think of the possibilities with the correct flex

and weight. will actually play again on tuesday and give the DI another chance. im hoping it fails so i have an excuse to change the shaft!

C, if you are 105-108 with a fast transition, but you can't overpower the DI-6 stiff, which you should, you should not be considering the proto at all.

As skippercarey observed, the trajectory and apex could definitely be the result of the DI-6 being too light and soft.

A DI-7 would do much better.

The Quadra 65s has a stiffer butt and mid section than the DI-6s but is ever so slightly softer at the tip area.

An SX may be the way to go.

C, if you are 105-108 with a fast transition, but you can't overpower the DI-6 stiff, which you should, you should not be considering the proto at all.

As skippercarey observed, the trajectory and apex could definitely be the result of the DI-6 being too light and soft.

A DI-7 would do much better.

The Quadra 65s has a stiffer butt and mid section than the DI-6s but is ever so slightly softer at the tip area.

An SX may be the way to go.

thanks T! actually spoke to stew this evening and were discussing the proto vs the non proto and i think i will go

with the non proto. i dont want to go the di route. really want to get my hands on the quadras. ive decided to go

with the non proto.

i will get the s flex. i want something in line with the flex of the di6s. your suspicions are correct though in that it may

be a bit soft. it is so easy to hit and feels like a charm, like my shafts to feel that way as i dont get the urge to muscle it.

coming down from a 75x which i used for over a year but did not want to be swinging like jake lamotta on every drive

do you think i will have the same problem with the quadra 6s?

i pulled the trigger, i ordered the QFX non proto 65s. thanks to everyone that helped ! will have updates

soon. hopefully i can game it this weekend. are there any tipping instructions for the Quadra?

thanks T! actually spoke to stew this evening and were discussing the proto vs the non proto and i think i will go

with the non proto. i dont want to go the di route. really want to get my hands on the quadras. ive decided to go

with the non proto.

i will get the s flex. i want something in line with the flex of the di6s. your suspicions are correct though in that it may

be a bit soft. it is so easy to hit and feels like a charm, like my shafts to feel that way as i dont get the urge to muscle it.

coming down from a 75x which i used for over a year but did not want to be swinging like jake lamotta on every drive

do you think i will have the same problem with the quadra 6s?

def no balooning problem., 100% not.

the quadra plays a lot tighter than the di6 in the same flex.

if ur coming down from 75x shafts the 65 sx is DEFINATLY what u want not the S the quadras play pretty true to spec maybe slightly on the softer side i think the crazy play harder

def no balooning problem., 100% not.

the quadra plays a lot tighter than the di6 in the same flex.

if ur coming down from 75x shafts the 65 sx is DEFINATLY what u want not the S the quadras play pretty true to spec maybe slightly on the softer side i think the crazy play harder

yup down from an 75x but that was a bit much. the di6s flex is ok for me, so even if the quadras

play softer i can live with that. i will get another quadra for when the epon 152 comes out:) maybe

the proto

snuck out the office and played a quick 18, course was empty as usual. i need more

time to come to a conclusion. i wasnt much farther than my longer drives with my DI

i notice though that i have a harder time squaring the clubface compared to the DI.

i still get a highish ball flight but defintely low spin. and dispersion is tight!

i defintely need more time to get along with the shaft.

IMG_2619.jpg

snuck out the office and played a quick 18, course was empty as usual. i need more

time to come to a conclusion. i wasnt much farther than my longer drives with my DI

i notice though that i have a harder time squaring the clubface compared to the DI.

i still get a highish ball flight but defintely low spin. and dispersion is tight!

i defintely need more time to get along with the shaft.

IMG_2619.jpg

when i first got mine i had one pracky sesh and put it straight into play in a big tornament.......well the first 7 holes i had the major tiger woods blocks hapening, until i finaly relized that i could really fire the hands through coz this thing was never going to go left and after that i hardly missed a fairway for the 3 rounds. its definatly a anti left shaft

when i first got mine i had one pracky sesh and put it straight into play in a big tornament.......well the first 7 holes i had the major tiger woods blocks hapening, until i finaly relized that i could really fire the hands through coz this thing was never going to go left and after that i hardly missed a fairway for the 3 rounds. its definatly a anti left shaft

you are so correct! my second round with the shaft was a totally different ball game. once i got the characteristics of the shaft i could

not miss, hit all of the fairways up to the 13th were i had to retire due to back pain. the shaft is amazing very very tight dispersion and

quite predictable once you get used to it. im happy with it! it does feel very different. i understand now what you mean by glass feeling.

hopefully i am well this weekend to play my 3rd round with the shaft

• 3 weeks later...

you are so correct! my second round with the shaft was a totally different ball game. once i got the characteristics of the shaft i could

not miss, hit all of the fairways up to the 13th were i had to retire due to back pain. the shaft is amazing very very tight dispersion and

quite predictable once you get used to it. im happy with it! it does feel very different. i understand now what you mean by glass feeling.

hopefully i am well this weekend to play my 3rd round with the shaft

How do you find the ball flight and spin compared to the DI-6 ? Is it any longer now that you've got a few rounds under the belt? Is the feel of the shaft also different?

I too am also currently playing the DI-6 stiff and find the flex to fit me very well. Am considering the FEX/FEX Proto vs the DI series in a new driver setup.

How do you find the ball flight and spin compared to the DI-6 ? Is it any longer now that you've got a few rounds under the belt? Is the feel of the shaft also different?

I too am also currently playing the DI-6 stiff and find the flex to fit me very well. Am considering the FEX/FEX Proto vs the DI series in a new driver setup.

its all about spin and dispersion and the quadra blows the di in every department but feel. the di6 feels very smooth while the quadra

feels a bit glassy and tingy but i do not mind since its much much longer than the di. you will immediately notice less spin and a slightly lower trajectory.

works with me.

i suggest the normal FEX the protos are a different animal altogether

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Spoon,

How are you?

Im looking to get a quadra FEX 55 sr or s. Im not sure which flex at this point. I am 21 and swing my driver about 96-100 MPH. I have a smooth swing and want a stable yet responsive shaft.

Do you think i could get away with the Stiff/Regular?

Thanks,

Chris

Hey Spoon,

How are you?

Im looking to get a quadra FEX 55 sr or s. Im not sure which flex at this point. I am 21 and swing my driver about 96-100 MPH. I have a smooth swing and want a stable yet responsive shaft.

Thanks,

Chris

Hey Chris,

there is a thread on quadra shaft fitting. Also depending on your build, how long you been playing etc, hcp, you could get faster since you are young and may easily fit into the S. SR at the minimum. At 105 i got the 65XS on the way. Post on the shaft fitting thread with answers to the form and there are quite a few experts that will help you.

Eric

Hey Spoon,

How are you?

Thanks,

Chris

sorry for the late reply chris, for 96-100 you are in my dads swing speed territory. he is using a 55sr and he loves it. i think you can get away with either but i suggest you get the SR. it will be more stable in my opinion and you have more room to grow with the shaft. SR is my pick

• 1 month later...

just to update i had a quadra FEX proto thats gathering dust, it was intended for my new yonex 380cc driver head

but i got impatient and decided to take stews advice and place the proto into the 102 and transfer the Non proto fex

into the yonex.

the 102 fex and i have developed a strong relationship. nothing wrong with it, in fact its perfect, super tight and super

reliable. all my death holes in my club are virtually non existent. i wonder if the proto can oust the el primero combo.

i already know it will.

yes it will.............!

thats a great combo. both of them.

the epon 102 proto is the one club i own that i positively will not ever touch. its perfect in every way.

the yonex , the old yonex nextage from 09 and the quadra fex is one super duper combo, i had this going for a long time. its actually the combo im going to swap around for in the new yonex, the fex 75xs i have sitting dormy is going in there and that bangvoo is going into another head.

C, ur going to love both of these so much u wont need that persimmon..........!

yes it will.............!

thats a great combo. both of them.

the epon 102 proto is the one club i own that i positively will not ever touch. its perfect in every way.

the yonex , the old yonex nextage from 09 and the quadra fex is one super duper combo, i had this going for a long time. its actually the combo im going to swap around for in the new yonex, the fex 75xs i have sitting dormy is going in there and that bangvoo is going into another head.

C, ur going to love both of these so much u wont need that persimmon..........!

after some luring with equipment trades and a golf invite to one of the more exclusive courses

my guy budged. and i thought he meant, " and youl have to pry this from my cold dead hands!"

apparently the offer was too good to resist. photos soon

just to update i had a quadra FEX proto thats gathering dust, it was intended for my new yonex 380cc driver head

but i got impatient and decided to take stews advice and place the proto into the 102 and transfer the Non proto fex

into the yonex.

the 102 fex and i have developed a strong relationship. nothing wrong with it, in fact its perfect, super tight and super

reliable. all my death holes in my club are virtually non existent. i wonder if the proto can oust the el primero combo.

i already know it will.

The FEx Proto would be my favourite right now, same smooth feel as the previous but for some reason not as anti left which i like...........but that could be due to the jbeam head vs the 101, but it does seem just a little easier to turn over and you can throw the kitchen sink at it and it holds up nicely, dispertion is a lot better IMO than the original