Less is More! Smaller Driver Heads

Above_Beyond

The Yonex looks pear like no other pear, tear drop pear is what I would call it and its obvious it's 380cc's got a couple coming for testing, stock shaft is the Tour AD DJ-6. This 415 doesn't look 415 small it could pass for bigger.

The video review was shot already I'll get it up tomorrow.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Yonex looks pear like no other pear, tear drop pear is what I would call it and its obvious it's 380cc's got a couple coming for testing, stock shaft is the Tour AD DJ-6. This 415 doesn't look 415 small it could pass for bigger.

The video review was shot already I'll get it up tomorrow.

Would you attribute the medium high launch you're getting with the 9.5 head is from the Tour AD DJ-6?

• 2 weeks later...

I am very excited to try the new 380 Yonex. It sounds like it will even be available in the USA, same exact head as JDM for quite a bit less money. My local Edwin Watts will have it soon according to them. Would also love to try that TourStage but the Yonex shape just looks better to me.

final point for whoever was arguing with me about shaft length:

"PRGR introduces its all new EGG Impact PX-01 Driver for 2010. This high tech 4 Titanium Mix driver is approaches distance performance in a different direction. Unlike other manufacturers who have gone with longer clubs ie drivers over 46" to acheive distance, the EGG Impact is shortened to 43.5" to ensure optimal impact resulting in higher ball speeds and more distance. A long driver over 46" is great as long as the player can consistently hit the sweet spot. PRGR found that with the shorter driver and heavier head, players not only increased overall swing speed but were able to strike the sweet spot on a more consistent basis equalling a 1m/s increase in ball speed and overall distance. The Impact Driver uses 4 kinds of Titanium"

Citation: this very site.

also check out X-Drive 905 Limited 385cc in the shop, sweet spot 5% larger than X-Drive 703 and that is in a smaller head. if it didnt get all pre-ordered and sold out by now that is.

Smaller head but bigger sweet spot? How in the world are they doing this.

Does this mean it has the workability of the small head, but forgiveness of a 460 head?

not sure exactly what they did since all the info is marketing material and then it gets translated. it could as well be 5% bigger relative to face size. however there are ways to do that and here it could be something as simple as slightly deeper face thus stretching that sweetspot up and down the face and you get that 5% bigger sweetspot. i dont think that means it has forgiveness of forgiving 460cc heads tho as forgiveness is not determined only by the size of the sweetspot alone. in the end of the day if there is way too much miss off center othere isnt much they can do about that because they cant make entire face area into sweetspot not on larger head not on smaller head, just aint gonna work.

Smaller head but bigger sweet spot? How in the world are they doing this.

Does this mean it has the workability of the small head, but forgiveness of a 460 head?

• 2 months later...

Hey what can I say I'm biased to almost anything that's "Made in Japan".

Let me move this post forward by posting pics of the new X-Drive 415!

IMG_2879.jpg

IMG_2912.jpg

IMG_2942.jpg

Video review is coming soon but initial impressions are it has a muted and firm feel, what I love about smaller heads is that they seem more solid less hollow. the ball flight was medium high, the stock shaft fit me really well. Most likely the muziik BangVoo Premium is going in. Look at that face profile its so sexy!

The 705 with the Tour AD Di6 is the best Tourstage driver I have own, I love how small and compact the head looks. Definitely not forgiving but one of the best looking drivers out there.

Anyone playing this bad boy?? Thoughts and impressions vs other JDM drivers??

• 3 weeks later...

Since we're all sweating TourStage... my favorite small headed driver? RX-1 Type 315

Like how the X-Drive's still have a classic look/shape to them.

i just moved to a 380cc older epon. it just blows all my drivers out of the water

in feel and distance. not so deep but man does it go and is soft. i guess this is the

characteristic feel of smaller more compact heads. they certainly should do a revival

of the smaller heads

i just moved to a 380cc older epon. it just blows all my drivers out of the water

in feel and distance. not so deep but man does it go and is soft. i guess this is the

characteristic feel of smaller more compact heads. they certainly should do a revival

of the smaller heads

Nice combo C, that's saying something unseating the 102/proto combo.

So tempted to game my TM 360R with grafalloy prolite 35. Cost me $880 in 2000 and it's awesome but non conf. It's amazing how the new R11 cost half 10 years later lol. If I was mid to high capper it wouldn't matter but at my short stature but decent distance, my equipment always gets inspected lol. Funny now though coz they look at my ryoma with a 'what the Fk is that' look then I show them the conforming print on he hozel. Then I say don't ask how much..

Nice combo C, that's saying something unseating the 102/proto combo.

So tempted to game my TM 360R with grafalloy prolite 35. Cost me $880 in 2000 and it's awesome but non conf. It's amazing how the new R11 cost half 10 years later lol. If I was mid to high capper it wouldn't matter but at my short stature but decent distance, my equipment always gets inspected lol. Funny now though coz they look at my ryoma with a 'what the Fk is that' look then I show them the conforming print on he hozel. Then I say don't ask how much..

i have never hit a combo that just demolished an existing club out of the bat.

the smaller head and heavier shaft just rock! im so tempted to tinker with the 102

and get a 75+ crazy or quadra but it will be another black hole of expenses:)

3 of my clubs now are pimping graphite design, driver, 3 wood and tour ad DI 95s

on my RC hyrbid. fyi GD was my ultimate favorite shaft before i ventured into the quadra

80Ts.

i may put the 360 cc into play soon. that head is enjoying itself too much on the shelf

Hmmmm maybe i should be taking out my ol' S yard driver and put a fresh shaft in it. Sounds good. I should be digging into my garage tonight. GOOD LUCK

• 1 month later...

Hmmmm maybe i should be taking out my ol' S yard driver and put a fresh shaft in it. Sounds good. I should be digging into my garage tonight. GOOD LUCK

Aaaah, don't forget the Miura Precious 390 Driver. A proven winner and has a long history of success. Suited up, the Precious Head is very stable, keeps the ball down and has a great pear shape to it. Oldies rock!!

Aaaah, don't forget the Miura Precious 390 Driver. A proven winner and has a long history of success. Suited up, the Precious Head is very stable, keeps the ball down and has a great pear shape to it. Oldies rock!!

Back then, I never thought I would stop playing this driver and I still think about it.

I changed because of the forgiveness of a bigger head. But now with 46" shafts, I think I was more accurate with a 44.5" or even 45" driver with a smaller head.

I agree about the Miura Precious. I just moved that out to CA so I don't have to travel with a bag of clubs when I go se my family. But what a great driver, actually the whole line up of woods were great...

I agree with the Miura driver. Bought two of them a few years ago from TSG and gave one to my brother. He has since gone with the Burners or what have you on the latest craze but at the end still come back to the Miura 9* as his main gamer. I also have the Epon 380 but prefer the deeper face Miura more than the old Epon.

Based on this thread I took my 10 degree Mizuno (Tour Spirit Model III) 300s driver to the range today. Hadn't hit it for years and I have only played on the course with it once. It's in mint condition with original Mizuno "Amorphous Carbon Special Tune" shaft (s flex) and grip. What a revelation! Such a rewarding connection from hands to ball and really not that hard to middle despite being 300cc volume. I'm very excited to get on the course with it again and have some fun.

I have a question regarding re-shafting this club versus leaving it in tact (I doubt it's worth much any more?). The original shaft plays OK but feels a touch soft for me. Flight is still low-ish despite the 10 degree loft. The club is 45 inches, D3 swingweight, but the shaft says 4.3degrees or torque!!!!

If I was to re-shaft this little blue fella, should I stick to a shaft that is NOT TOO LOW in torque - I'm guessing such a small head will twist-load the shaft completely differently to all of my 440-460cc monsters, some which host ~2 degree torque shafts. The shaft I am thinking of is an older AXIV 7576L (77g, x flex, low kick, 2.9 degrees of torque) - besides, the deep blue colour, silver and gold decals and carbon weave "window" at grip end would look the sh*t with the blue Mizuno head!!

Any feedback appreciated from those who may have done similar experiments - Cheers