Less is More! Smaller Driver Heads

Above_Beyond

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TourStage 415, whacked it today oh man is it solid! Jbeam 425-Tour, one of the best feeling heads ever, somewhat like a Kamui with that DAT55 face! Waiting on my Yonex 380, I'm loving small heads as long as the shaft suites my swing.

TourStage 415, whacked it today oh man is it solid! Jbeam 425-Tour, one of the best feeling heads ever, somewhat like a Kamui with that DAT55 face! Waiting on my Yonex 380, I'm loving small heads as long as the shaft suites my swing.

yeah i am super loving the looks of the yonex with the semi carbon body. i really love the yonex offerings for 2011. i havent recalled reading it in the posts or blogs but what exactly is E-zone? sorry if i totally missed it.

I think Ezone is just a name, it means explosive zone but they apply it to the woods down to the wedges. The wedges are produced at Kyoei, there isn't anything special in them simply the grind is unique.

For the driver Ezone can be related to the CG lining up to the center of the club face but thats only the driver, the rest really dont have that feature and Yonex is not explaining what Ezone means specifically.

Also I appear to be wrong about where woods are produced, at first I thought Endo because they show a Niigata factory. But based on another one of my contacts Yonex is one of several brands that produces in China and assembles in Japan listing country of origin Japan and Made in Japan.

Driver Head Material & Preparation = Body: 6AL-4V Titanium Precision Casting Face: SP700HM rolled titanium crown: high-strength carbon

The above is not what Endo uses, they would have used their proprietary VL titanium face. I'm still unclear on where the woods are made.

Chris, are you seeing any distance gains in these smaller headed drivers versus the larger 460cc heads? What I am trying to assess is are these smaller heads better for a player who hits it on a more consistent basis and why would that be. From what I would suppose the smaller heads provide less resistance when hitting because they take up less space. Consequently one would expect a faster swing speed. From there if you hit the sweet spot consistently and with more swing speed that should translate into extra distance. Am I right in this?

ooh I don't know until we eliminate all variables like shaft, loft, and then get it on a launch monitor with someone who swings a lot better than I.

Also I appear to be wrong about where woods are produced, at first I thought Endo because they show a Niigata factory. But based on another one of my contacts Yonex is one of several brands that produces in China and assembles in Japan listing country of origin Japan and Made in Japan.

Driver Head Material & Preparation = Body: 6AL-4V Titanium Precision Casting Face: SP700HM rolled titanium crown: high-strength carbon

The above is not what Endo uses, they would have used their proprietary VL titanium face. I'm still unclear on where the woods are made.

would you say that endo's proprietary VL titanium face is superior over what yonex is currently using(SP700HM rolled titanium ) not that it matters to me but you

cannot label asa made in japan and country origin of japan when in fact made in china and assembled in japan . very misleading

if its a solid product what difference does it make, i mean really ?! and how far does that go ie do you expect the end product to be assembled in Japan from components made in Japan from raw materials extracted from Japan soil, all at 100% ? unless you are buying antique nihonto blades, some of which might actually be crap blades and only have historical/antique value even tho entirely made in Japan btw, or something why does it matter ? Japan imports alot of raw materials like iron ore etc and outsources production like everybody else in the world. Endo manufacturing that you have mentioned is good example of that. the ability to deliver solid product is what matters most.

you cannot label asa made in japan and country origin of japan when in fact made in china and assembled in japan . very misleading

if its a solid product what difference does it make, i mean really ?! and how far does that go ie do you expect the end product to be assembled in Japan from components made in Japan from raw materials extracted from Japan soil, all at 100% ? unless you are buying antique nihonto blades, some of which might actually be crap blades and only have historical/antique value even tho entirely made in Japan btw, or something why does it matter ? Japan imports alot of raw materials like iron ore etc and outsources production like everybody else in the world. Endo manufacturing that you have mentioned is good example of that. the ability to deliver solid product is what matters most.

as i said doesnt matter. look at what epon does, all their materials are from japan and were assembled and forged in Endo japan and they used the slogan "japan forged"

when they moved some of their assembly and forging outside japan they changed it to "Endo Forged". There are labeling laws like this in the USa that are strictly enforceable.

i dont have a problem with how yonex is labeling their product but others might

i'm not a lawyer so cant comment what falls laws and regulations in this case, i just dont understand what the real, practical issue is with that kinda labeling. maybe some people dont expect to pay premium for something built from components manufactured elsewhere regardless of the product quality and consider that a rip off ? if you take Apple products for example they label them like "Designed by Apple in California Assembled in China". they dont even say "made" and to me this is fair because its not milk or alcohol or something like that. and their products sell like hot cakes and for a premium price too.

as i said doesnt matter. look at what epon does, all their materials are from japan and were assembled and forged in Endo japan and they used the slogan "japan forged"

when they moved some of their assembly and forging outside japan they changed it to "Endo Forged". There are labeling laws like this in the USa that are strictly enforceable.

i dont have a problem with how yonex is labeling their product but others might

i'm not a lawyer so cant comment what falls laws and regulations in this case, i just dont understand what the real, practical issue is with that kinda labeling. maybe some people dont expect to pay premium for something built from components manufactured elsewhere regardless of the product quality and consider that a rip off ? if you take Apple products for example they label them like "Designed by Apple in California Assembled in China". they dont even say "made" and to me this is fair because its not milk or alcohol or something like that. and their products sell like hot cakes and for a premium price too.

The issue is Made in Japan = Manufactured in Japan.

If it's not then it isn't... Simple as that.

Japanese company, selling a product labelled "made in Japan" that's actually made in China is misleading.

and how many products in your shop are 100% made in Japan, to the best of your knowledge ?

The issue is Made in Japan = Manufactured in Japan.

If it's not then it isn't... Simple as that.

Japanese company, selling a product labelled "made in Japan" that's actually made in China is misleading.

and how many products in your shop are 100% made in Japan, to the best of your knowledge ?

Not all but Many :atsg_logo_anim:

It's all Japan Domestic Market.

I'm right there supporting your opinion Chris!

so those products that 100% made in Japan and those that are not where you draw the line ? what would fit "If it's not then it isn't..." in order to separate them ? for example lets take Miura. i have no idea where their clubs are forged but if they were forged elsewhere then brought to Japan in completely raw form off the factory then more work was done on them in Japan in order to make them into final product would that qualify for made in Japan or not ? or in order to qualify for made in Japan the entire process from start to finish has to be done in Japan ? what if ingots were imported ? what if the shaft or grip or any other component is not made in Japan ? does it still qualify for made in Japan as final product ? you see what i mean ? so i dont think its that simple. if a company sells product made entirely elsewhere and labels it made in Japan then there is a problem and it is misleading but otherwise and i just dont see what all the fuss is about.

I don't see any fuss...

Personally I go by where the head is made but if you have your own interpretation around the words "Made in Japan" that works for you, by all means keep it but for the most part it doesn't support transparency, product knowledge or awareness.

Most manufactures define Head Made in _____, Shaft Made in _____, Headcover/grip Made in _____, and Assembled in _______.

I find it a bit misleading some brands skip all that and count assembly as MADE IN JAPAN.

If the Raw head is made in Japan it's simply a Japan Forged product. Forged in China and Completed in Japan doesn't equal "Made in Japan". Companies who use forged heads from China don't stamp Made in Japan on their products.

So in the case of the club were talking about the Yonex 380, The Head is supposedly made in China, Shaft is made in Japan, Head Cover & Grip is made in China and what I'm reading is you dont mind interpreting that as "Made in Japan".

I'm not attached to how you define it, I just want our members to be well educated.

When importing a large amount into the U.S they would have to define each part, Then they would be quick to say parts are made in China to avoid higher taxes and duties versus it being made in Japan. I find it interesting how a few brands would conveniently play with the wording to prop up brand image.

man i'm not trying to be right or wrong here i just think its silly that people would think its less of a club if its not made in Japan 100% from start to finish or feel they were mislead. that Yonex 380, supo67 had very good comments after testing it and if that head is made in China so what ? does it make it less of a club ? dont get me wrong i like when companies being honest and transparent about that, in my book its a big plus for any brand to do that and i appreciate you digging into details and educating us here and its interesting stuff but tax issues aside it makes no practical difference whatsoever. to me if the product is solid they can label it "Made in Japan" or "Assembled in Japan" or whatever suits them best, i buy product not its "made in" label in the end of the day.

I don't see any fuss...

Personally I go by where the head is made but if you have your own interpretation around the words "Made in Japan" that works for you, by all means keep it but for the most part it doesn't support transparency, product knowledge or awareness.

Most manufactures define Head Made in _____, Shaft Made in _____, Headcover/grip Made in _____, and Assembled in _______.

I find it a bit misleading some brands skip all that and count assembly as MADE IN JAPAN.

If the Raw head is made in Japan it's simply a Japan Forged product. Forged in China and Completed in Japan doesn't equal "Made in Japan". Companies who use forged heads from China don't stamp Made in Japan on their products.

So in the case of the club were talking about the Yonex 380, The Head is supposedly made in China, Shaft is made in Japan, Head Cover & Grip is made in China and what I'm reading is you dont mind interpreting that as "Made in Japan".

I'm not attached to how you define it, I just want our members to be well educated.

When importing a large amount into the U.S they would have to define each part, Then they would be quick to say parts are made in China to avoid higher taxes and duties versus it being made in Japan. I find it interesting how a few brands would conveniently play with the wording to prop up brand image.

man i'm not trying to be right or wrong here i just think its silly that people would think its less of a club if its not made in Japan 100% from start to finish or feel they were mislead. that Yonex 380, supo67 had very good comments after testing it and if that head is made in China so what ? does it make it less of a club ? dont get me wrong i like when companies being honest and transparent about that, in my book its a big plus for any brand to do that and i appreciate you digging into details and educating us here and its interesting stuff but tax issues aside it makes no practical difference whatsoever. to me if the product is solid they can label it "Made in Japan" or "Assembled in Japan" or whatever suits them best, i buy product not its "made in" label in the end of the day.

I hit the Yonex 380 as well, its an awesome driver! You ask does it make it any less of a club, IMO absolutely not... Did anyone say that it was less of a club..Nope.

Your asking what's with the fuss, there is no fuss. Simply stated was that assembled in Japan doesn't equal "made in Japan", that's a bit misleading.

Would I like many of our customers prefer it was made in Japan, Yes! nuff said let's move on :tsg_smiley_japan:

if you are saying that you would prefer it was made in Japan it implies, to me, made elsewhere would make it less of a club. if that however is not the case and its simply your preference like color etc i have no argument with you or anybody else having same preference as it would be pretty stupid to argue about which color is best.

I hit the Yonex 380 as well, its an awesome driver! You ask does it make it any less of a club, IMO absolutely not... Did anyone say that it was less of a club..Nope.

Your asking what's with the fuss, there is no fuss. Simply stated was that assembled in Japan doesn't equal "made in Japan", that's a bit misleading.

Would I like many of our customers prefer it was made in Japan, Yes! nuff said let's move on :tsg_smiley_japan:

Hey what can I say I'm biased to almost anything that's "Made in Japan".

Let me move this post forward by posting pics of the new X-Drive 415!

IMG_2879.jpg

IMG_2912.jpg

IMG_2942.jpg

Video review is coming soon but initial impressions are it has a muted and firm feel, what I love about smaller heads is that they seem more solid less hollow. the ball flight was medium high, the stock shaft fit me really well. Most likely the muziik BangVoo Premium is going in. Look at that face profile its so sexy!

this is a really good loking club.!

havnt been a huge fan of toursatge drivers over the yers, just preferd others, but ths really took my eye when i saw it

its seemed to me to be a lot more pro model esque driver than the 703

sure TS said ok lets get a bit serious with a retail driver and this is it.

havnt hit this yet, but itching toi have a crack.

its alot more compact than the 703 and it looks like the face is a lot smaller too.

i t looks to me to be very much along the concept of the tour model yamaha just a beautiful piece, similar design in bringing the power from the back of the club

tour stage and yamaha prob compete neck and neck on everything id say.

the good thing is thier products dont look identical ,personally im more of a yamaha fan the look of yamaha appeals to me more. but performance, ah cant split em, i just hit yamaha better.

this driver here looks like a solid no nonsense driver that will give good rewards for the better driver of the ball for sure.

looks like u can do anything with this

its 100000000000000000000000000 times beter looking than the gr thing they did.,

what the?????

THAT looks like golf driver spam, the graphics on that are horrid.

this one tho.. oooooh yea.

IMG_2879.jpg

IMG_2912.jpg

IMG_2942.jpg

Video review is coming soon but initial impressions are it has a muted and firm feel, what I love about smaller heads is that they seem more solid less hollow. the ball flight was medium high, the stock shaft fit me really well. Most likely the muziik BangVoo Premium is going in. Look at that face profile its so sexy!

Very sleek looking!

IMG_2879.jpg

IMG_2912.jpg

IMG_2942.jpg

wow that is very good looking. like the offerings of tourstage but i like the yonex better:) whats the retail of this club and what is the stock shaft?