Rocked by a 8.8 Earthquake

gocchin

Scray as hell... we had to leave the house.

House shook so hard my monitor cables disconnected.

There are actually fires burning in tokyo.

Still aftershocks and tremors keep coming...

here it comes again!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh wow hope you guys are ok. i know an earthquake hit japan as well yesterday 5.5 on scale.

do update us T. wait til all the aftershocks are done before heading back in.,

Put everything down on the floor and be safe. This brings a whole new meaning to "Rock and Roll" doesn't it?

About 10 minutes after an 8.9 hit northeast of Japan.

Huge Tsunami's are now sweeping the east coast!!

Japan tsunami damage follows 8.9 earthquake

March 11, 2011 - 6:01PM

post-8383-000043800 1299827376.jpg

post-8383-002513900 1299827377.jpg

Japanese television has shown major tsunami damage in northern Japan, following a strong 8.9-magnitude earthquake.

Public broadcaster NHK showed cars, trucks, houses and buildings being swept away by the tsunami in Onahama city in Fukushima prefecture.

Scores of cars were seen floating in Iwate prefecture harbour, local TV said, while the Tokyo Fire department says many people were injured after a roof caved in during a school graduation ceremony at a hall in east Tokyo.

Advertisement: Story continues below

Office workers in Tokyo's Shiodome district near Tokyo Bay stay on the pedestrian deck, observing surrounding high-rise office and hotel buildings swaying.

Office workers in Tokyo's Shiodome district near Tokyo Bay stay on the pedestrian deck, observing surrounding high-rise office and hotel buildings swaying.

Japan earlier issued its top tsunami warning in response to the major offshore earthquake, which strongly swayed buildings 400 kilometres away in Tokyo and sent people fleeing onto the streets.

The quake struck at 2.46 p.m. local time, 130 kilometers off the coast of Sendai and about 382 kilometres northeast of Tokyo, hitting at a depth of 24 kilometers.

The meteorological agency issued its top-level evacuation alerts for the entire Japanese coast, Russia and the Mariana Islands, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre said.

A screen grab of images taken from Japanese television showing a tsunami swamping a city in northern Japan. Click for more photos

Earthquake strikes Japan

A screen grab of images taken from Japanese television showing a tsunami swamping a city in northern Japan.

* A screen grab of images taken from Japanese television showing a tsunami swamping a city in northern Japan.

* A plume of smoke rises over Tokyo after an offshore earthquake measuring 7.9 on the Richter struck off the coast of northern Japan.

* Reporters at the Associated Press Tokyo Bureau in Tokyo take shelter under a table while a strong earthquake strikes eastern Japan.

* Office workers in Tokyo's Shiodome district near Tokyo Bay stay on the pedestrian deck Friday, March 11, 2011, shortly after an earthquake has struck off Japan's northeastern coast.

The quake was initially measured as a magnitude 7.9 but was upgraded.

National broadcaster NHK Television showed images of people getting medical treatment and footage of a tsunami engulfing a warehouse in Kamaishi in Iwate prefecture, with cars and trucks submerged. Ships were shown smashing into harbor walls.

Tokyo’s Narita airport shut down, Kyodo News reported. Haneda, the capital’s other main airport, was also closed, NHK said.

The government has set up an earthquake response team and Minister Naoto Kan returned to his office from parliament to convene his team.

Smoke could be seen rising from a building in Tokyo port.

Shinkansen bullet trains stopped when the quake struck, while Tokyo port has shut all 19 of its water gates as it prepares for the tsunami.

Japan’s Coast Guard is halting ships on their way to entering Tokyo’s port,said Takashi Mifune, spokesman for the Bureau of Port and Harbor of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government.

Japan’s meteorological agency said the quake struck at 2.46pm (4.46pm AEDST) local time at a depth of 10km, 125km off the eastern coast.

Footage on national broadcaster NHK from their Sendai office showed employees stumbling around and books and papers crashing from desks.

Police and coast guard officials said they were assessing possible damage from the quake.

The yen tumbled against the dollar after the quake, falling to 83.30 against the dollar from 82.81 before the quake struck.

Several quakes had hit the same region in recent days, including a 7.3 magnitude one on Wednesday.

The Joint Australian Tsunami Warning Centre said there was no tsunami threat to Australia.

Hope you and your family are okay. Is the refinery fire at Chiba affecting you? I am also watching live relay of NHK which is totally scary.

Just read the awful news on the earthquake and the tsunami in Japan. My thoughts are with the peoplen in Japan. I hope all of the forum members, admins and their families are doing ok.

Firstly thanks to the 10 or more customers and members who have sent me emails to check if I'm okay here in Japan.

Japan is in chaos right now as its the largest magnitude quake to ever strike Japan.

We had to evacuate the house 4 times cause everything was simply shaking too much and then out on the streets the cars and roads were just rocking back and forth.

Tsunami's have hit the north east coast hard and they are without electricity and the death toll while luckily still small is climbing.

If that quake magnitude had struck on the mainland of Japan instead of out in the Ocean we could say bye bye.

Industrial fires are raging through out japan including one refinery fire here in Chiba as Duffer pointed out.

I don't know how they will put that one out.

Transit in Tokyo has come to halt as well as flights at most airports leaving millions stranded.

I've packed an emergency pack and ready to leave as we are still getting aftershocks and tremors...

Damn scary. They upgraded the magnitude to range from 8.4-8.8 now.

My desk is still shaking as I write this.

Hope Stew is okay in Tokyo as well but it seems the countrysides were hit harder.

More pics!

post-8383-069449300 1299836416.jpg

post-8383-071095800 1299836417.jpg

post-8383-035550500 1299836418.jpg

post-8383-096636600 1299836418.jpg

post-8383-047901100 1299836420.jpg

post-8383-030148300 1299836421.jpg

post-8383-089696000 1299836421.jpg

post-8383-049213700 1299836422.jpg

post-8383-030792400 1299836423.jpg

post-8383-016817000 1299836424.jpg

post-8383-000228800 1299836432.jpg

post-8383-081041400 1299836432.jpg

post-8383-040589600 1299836433.jpg

Just read the awful news on the earthquake and the tsunami in Japan. My thoughts are with the peoplen in Japan. I hope all of the forum members, admins and their families are doing ok.

tks scary stuff... get me outta here!

there are no words forthis

it hasnt stopped all afternoon.

lets hope to god it doent hit tokyo centre

seriously im s**tttting my self!

The Tsunami is the bad part now... look at its damage..

http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2011/03/11/vo.quake.cars.water.mov.avn?hpt=C2

Darn these little tremors still happening... I won't be able to sleep tonight!

Hope everyone at TSG and its members in Japan are safe and sound; my prayers are with you.

Edited by FrankThong

I know Gocchin (Tario) lives in Chiba which I believe is across the Tokyo Bay from Tokyo. This is on the east coast and south of the epicenter of the earthquake. Approx. 4 hours south. I can't find much information on the effects of the quake on Chiba however it is a large peninsula and likely subject to flooding. Lets pray for the people of Japan, our friends at TSG and their friends and family.

post-7946-068247100 1299840108.jpg

Edited by bogeydog

I'm continuing to get lots of well wishes and emails inquiring about my well being.

Thank you to all of you for caring.

The odd tremor is still shaking us here and there but it looks like now the worst is over and Japan is evaluating the damage.

http://us.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/11/japan.tsunami.damage/index.html?hpt=T1

My neighbor and playing partner who commutes from here in Chiba is stuck in Tokyo as all transit has stopped indefinitely.

I just spoke to him and he has purchased a bicycle and is currently peddling his way back to Kiminomori.

He expects to arrive here in the next 6-8 hours... crazy!

Good news is gas has returned though phones and mobile networks are still jammed.

Kiminomori here is on a mountain so we are safe from the Tsunami which is only 20 minutes away by car at Kujukuri beach, but the added altitude magnifies the shaking here during the tremors... scary.

Glad to hear you are ok Gocchin. Tsunami's are expected to hit Pacific islands, Hawaii and California. Likely not anything large, but time will tell.

ive been thinking where the hell i can go theres NO high ground in a basin like tokyo.

my wifes friend just rolled in the door she was in shinagwa which might be below water level its that flat she lives in kamakura on the beach and that is one palce u dont wanna be right now.

looks like shell be here for a few days.

bloody golfs off tomorrow!!!!!

i was all set to kick some butt!

hope the courses are ok as well.

japaanese people are so pragmatic.

theres no panic just an alert sense of inevitability. everone just does what they are told and accepts thier fate u shud see it ,

my wife was under the table when i got home luckily i was on the scooter when the 2nd big one hit so i just felt small sway and was watching all the tellegraph lines shake, its still going on right now this is no .40 today i think right now another biggy.

ah im over this!

theres absolutley NOTHING at all u can do zilch

there was no panic when it struck i was on 4th floor of 40 story bldg built reccently and its erathquake proofed nad it felt like bambi on ice.

everyone was just pouring outt he bldg. there was nothing like it nothing i can put a piccy in yr mind.

pls just let it stop soon but after this size pretty sure these will go on for a long time.

might be a case of sayonara japan im too old to cope withth e stress of this. my wife and her friend are hoing into cheeese and red wine

and im sitting here hoping the ground stops moving!

anyone wanna swap places pls ?????

Edited by supo67

Man its still shaking here.... every few minutes. I am not destined to work today. Every time I go to my office which is on the second floor of my house the walls start creaking and the furniture starts moving and rattling...

Stew you should move out here on a mountain, it'll shake some but no Tsunami worries.

One thing that I was thankful for is how Japanese houses are built (at least newer ones), my house flexes with the tremors and shaking so that it won't collapse... at first I was scared to death at its wobbling but then I realized it was flexing the way it was meant to.

glad you guys are ok. keeping an eye on the news. read tarios post at 3pm and thought it was bad,

but when i got home at 4 pm and opened the tv man didnt realize a tsunami was involved and that

looks like bad news.

waves supposed to hit the philippines anytime now. stay safe guys if ya need let us know.

yes T, ur right.,

any houses for sale at kiminomori?

Our thoughts and prayers go out all who have been affected, stay safe .

It will be interesting to see how Japan recovers from this.

The refinery fire is within a 45 minute drive from here in Kiminomori.. and its still raging on.

They have even warned about electricity usage in japan now that at least one plant has shut down and everyone in Japan must have their tv on.

More pictures that show the impact: http://framework.latimes.com/2011/03/11/earthquake-and-tsunami-hits-japan/#/0

Many people are stranded in Tokyo and many public schools have opened up for shelter for people.

Airports and trains are of course shut down across the country.