Royal Collection TRC Utility for 2011

Blader-X

New to the bag will be a 17° TRC utility by Royal Collection. While its way too early to review here's some pics for all to enjoy.

My initial view of this club is stellar. Very clean with an excellent set up to the ball. :tsg_smiley_drool:

post-7973-009398100 1302024246.jpg

post-7973-054900700 1302024287.jpg

post-7973-034098800 1302024334.jpg

post-7973-044370400 1302024380.jpg

Comparative view of utilities. My old TourStage X-UT 17°, New RC TRC and an old Sonartec TRC 22°

post-7973-039639600 1302024442.jpg

Face view comparison - TourStage X-UT - RC TRC - Sonartec TRC

post-7973-091652800 1302024604.jpg

I'm looking to replace my current TourStage X-UT with this new RC TRC. Once I reshaft and regrip this club to my specs I'll be giving it a thorough exam up against the X-UT which is a very solid club in its own right and club that I've hit with much success so the new TRC will have its work cut out for it. I'm very excited about this new TRC because I've been very much impressed with my new 3 wood from RC that I've been bagging the last couple months. Excellent feel and I suspect the new TRC will have that very same feel.

:atsg_logo_anim:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice stick B! I was able to hit this club at the show and it's Outstanding! very forgiving nice mid/high trajectory. did you get it with steel or graphite?

Can't wait for the review for me the set-up of the X-UT looks the best, the square tow flatter/square back. Less wood like.

Edited by dodo

the sonartec and the rc look identical except for the sole.

i was always curious about the RC wood and hybrid. was

so close on pulling the trigger on a 3 wood. if i hadnt found

the yamaha i would certainly be gaming one. let

us know how it goes.

Yeah Id love to hear your thoughts about this club out of the rough, esp. with the steel shaft. Thanks :)

Yes its currently has the steel shaft but that won't be for long. I'll be changing the shaft out and I'll let you all know when I put in play and get some quality time with it. I just felt like posting some pics to get us started.

Yes the shape is very similar to the old TRC which for me, I really like. In fact I pulled this old 22 degree TRC out of the closet one day and brought it to one of my marathon range sessions. This old TRC has a Speeder 757 shaft and its always been a great performer. Well in that range session I was hitting it so well, I decided that it needed to come out of retirement. I think what makes it suit my game so well is that one, it has a tall face so it really frames the ball well. Two, the head is compact enough in that it doesn't get in the way, but still effective. And three, the sole with the twin rails I believe is still really ingenious in all lies from rough to fairway. I'm very accurate with this club. SO . . . , when the TRC was brought back last year by Royal Collection I had been thinking of making a change for some time. After hitting the 3 wood I reviewed on this site, combined with the new lineup from RC this year, I made the decision to go with this new 17 degree to try and replace the X-UT. Time will tell how good it is but I will report to you all on how it goes.

I'm also replacing my wedges this year but that will be yet another post . . .

I love the TRC, and I actually only game RC utilities cause they are simply awesome and not many utilities come close in feel and performance.

I'm glad you like it B. I am waiting for your post on wedges. (^_^)

C, sonartec used all RC designs albeit with a 2-3 year delay before they went under.

I love the TRC, and I actually only game RC utilities cause they are simply awesome and not many utilities come close in feel and performance.

I'm glad you like it B. I am waiting for your post on wedges. (^_^)

C, sonartec used all RC designs albeit with a 2-3 year delay before they went under.

yup yup. considering the 3 year gap, you can really see the shared Dna.

i did not even know they went belly up, guess im not up to date with the usdm gear.

i really enjoyed the sonartec woods from circa 06/07 those were really long!

I have the 2011 X-UT and it is fantastic. VERY hot face, and great sound and feel. Sometimes a little spinny but on the whole, fantastic.

B, Thanks for sharing your new toys! I, like you, still have my old trusted 2002 Super CV TRC in 13* and 16*with DG X100 which I sometimes bring out of the closet.

And I have to agree that I am always feeling and saying to myself why did I put these performers in the closet. The feel is really that good.

I think I may be tempted to upgrade the shaft and have a play around or may be buy the new one.

Look forward to reading your review.

F

• 1 month later...

Updated review:

Having had some time now to really get to know this club I must say that its a definite winner. Had Goodsie put in the Graphite Design SF8 I had in my EGG into this new hybrid. Cut length is 41.5".

First off, this club is very confident looking from the address position. Face is high enough that you don't feel at all like you'll scoop right under it. Club sets up square.

From a feel standpoint, head is heavy but not overly so. For those looking for a bit more weight in the hybrid, this club is the way to go. Impact is just pure and the ball melds with the clubhead nicely. No harshness and not overly soft. Feels very close to the what my RC TourVS 3 wood feels like upon impact. Sound goes hand in hand with the feel.

Performance wise, this hybrid shines. Easy to hit, trajectory is of medium height. Can be worked either left or right but it does go straight fairly easily. Shots out of rough work well due to weighty head as well as the sole design. Compared to the older model TourStage X-UT which this club replaced I do like this RC better in terms of feel. I hit a lot of really great shots with the old X-UT and so that club is not so easily replaced. I do believe this RC can do it as I've already hit four shots along the caliber of the many that I pulled off with the X-UT. I do believe this RC is easier to hit than my old X-UT and better out of the rough due to the head design. I cannot speak about how it stacks up to the new X-UT as I've yet to hit that and the new X-UT has a different head shape that I believe would help its performance out of the rough in comparison to the older model.

As for this RC its 17 degrees and off the tee I'm hitting it right around 235 yards. It is excellent off the tee so it can be used as a replacement for a fairway wood if one desires. Off the fairway its just as easy to use and I've been using it anywhere from 210 up to 225 yards just depending upon the conditions of the day. For the lower yardage I do grip down a little because I find that the yardage for this club given a full swing is right around the 225 mark.

All in all this is an excellent hybrid club which would suit a player looking for a hybrid that is a perfect combo of an iron-like set up (square face) in a wood-like body. The good thing about this hybrid is that you can put most any fairway wood shaft in it due to its hosel being .335. This is to date the best "feeling" hybrid I've hit. Trajectory and flight off the face is strong. One hybrid that's a must to consider if looking for a new one.

B Feel is really the key for me for this UT. It is the best feeling hybrid I've hit as well which is also what I told Spoon. Throw in its awesome performance and looks and its definitely the one to beat.

A very timely post. For me, that it. ;)

I was going to replace my current utility clubs and the TRC was highly recommended to me. Frankly, I was already sold on the TRC but your post made my choice feel like an excellent one! Problem is I'm finding the loft combinations a little hard to work with. I carry a 3-wood and my next longest club is a 4-iron, so there's a gap from 15° to 23°.

I was thinking of a 17° and 23° TRC but how practical is a 17° utility? Is it going to give me enough height to get out of trouble or fairway bunkers? Would it be hard to handle as a 2-iron?

Then I thought about the 20° and 26°. But how useful a 26° utility? 26° is the loft of a 5-iron; in what circumstance would I not be able to hit a 5-iron and need a utility club? I didn't find much use for a 5-wood before, would a 26° utility become the same white elephant?

20° and 23° seem like the only lofts for me but they're too close to be bagging both. Yet, having just either 20° or 23° would not be enough.

Any ideas, anyone?

me too. I'm going to conduct my own "battle for the 3rd club" between, TRC UT 20*, the Srixon utility iron a 302 3 iron and 901 22* and may be my currently benched 5 wood. I was planning to pick up these this week but a rude bill from Lexus will defer the contest for a month.

With the gap wedge being a non negotiable fixture currently, the club slot between 3 wood and 4 iron is quite critical. I'm looking forward to hitting the TRC UT in due course.

i just re shafted my epon 22 deg 901 to fill the gap between my soon to be hybrid 19* and my 24* traditional lofted yonex 4 iron.

the 901 is awesome, fell in love with it all over again. love it!

but i still need a hyrbid, was debating between the TRC and Yamaha, but now i know what i want and its going to be the TRC in 19!

i just re shafted my epon 22 deg 901 to fill the gap between my soon to be hybrid 19* and my 24* traditional lofted yonex 4 iron.

the 901 is awesome, fell in love with it all over again. love it!

but i still need a hyrbid, was debating between the TRC and Yamaha, but now i know what i want and its going to be the TRC in 19!

But there isn't a 19° TRC.

OT a bit, Spoon, what did you reshaft your 901 with? I currently have the KBS Hybrid in mine and I dont like the shaft at all despite liking the KBS iron shafts.

i have tried all these shafts on the 901: machline ut370 75, kbs tour hybrid, nspro 950 hybrid, super peening orange etc etc.

in the end the best shaft i have ever tried on the 901 is the nspro 750 S flex! nice and perfectly weighted!

Some further thoughts on this club as I have more time to become accustomed to it. I just posted some very glowing comments about my new wedges and this post will be just as glowing. Where do I begin other than to say that this club just flat-out performs. I've only been using for a short time but I've hit some EPIC shots with it already.

What I like the most about this club is its heavier head than most other utes. It allows you to be able to feel the clubhead more in the swing giving you better knowledge about where its throughout the swing. It also gives you more punch through the hitting area. Off the tee this club performs really well and its perfect for short and tight par-4's. Tee it up just ever so slightly off the ground. Fairway, rough, bunkers all no problem and I've hit from all three areas. Yes, I wrote bunkers. I've found over time that utilities are ideal from them given the right utility. I first discovered this with the cousins of this club the Sonartec TRC. The sole is what allows for this and this TRC falls right in line with its ancestry in this category.

While this club is easy to hit and produces reliable results, this club can be worked. The other day I played in heavy winds and had to go with a lot of 3/4 knockdowns and stinger type shots. Needless to say this club really shined in that. I used to do this with my former TourStage X-UT and it worked well. This club is better at that. The trajectory is stronger and bores through the wind better at these 3/4 shots. I was very impressed. And this is here is what I want to point out. In another related post a few of you were pondering about what lofts to get. I agree with getting a less lofted club like this 17 and then using it for shorter shots simply by either swinging 3/4 or choking down. I believe by doing that you then have a club that you can hit over a 40 yard range. Also if you go with 2 utilities I would and say you're trying to choose between 17 and 23 or 17 and 20, go 17 and 20. For a shot where you require a 23, choke down on the 20 or swing 3/4.

As for distance this club is long. I went with Goodsie's advice of going a little longer in the shaft, 41.5". This club (at times) can rival my 3 wood in distance. The 3 wood is longer mind you, but this club can get out there. I've hit this club up to 235 yards. It is much easier to hit than the 3 wood so in my opinion would be a good replacement to it for those looking for such a club. At the same time though, I can do 180 yards just as easily by going 3/4, stinger, etc. Its all about "creating" shots and when you practice at it can really be fun to do.

Overall I don't believe you can wrong with this club. I find it easy to hit, easy to maneuver (should you choose to do so) and has the ultimate feel. Lastly as I've mentioned before it has one more feature that increases its versatility as well. Its hosel is .335 allowing you to place most any shaft you wish to use. I sometimes find the shafts at .370 made for most utility clubs to be too limiting.

Some further thoughts on this club as I have more time to become accustomed to it. I just posted some very glowing comments about my new wedges and this post will be just as glowing. Where do I begin other than to say that this club just flat-out performs. I've only been using for a short time but I've hit some EPIC shots with it already.

What I like the most about this club is its heavier head than most other utes. It allows you to be able to feel the clubhead more in the swing giving you better knowledge about where its throughout the swing. It also gives you more punch through the hitting area. Off the tee this club performs really well and its perfect for short and tight par-4's. Tee it up just ever so slightly off the ground. Fairway, rough, bunkers all no problem and I've hit from all three areas. Yes, I wrote bunkers. I've found over time that utilities are ideal from them given the right utility. I first discovered this with the cousins of this club the Sonartec TRC. The sole is what allows for this and this TRC falls right in line with its ancestry in this category.

While this club is easy to hit and produces reliable results, this club can be worked. The other day I played in heavy winds and had to go with a lot of 3/4 knockdowns and stinger type shots. Needless to say this club really shined in that. I used to do this with my former TourStage X-UT and it worked well. This club is better at that. The trajectory is stronger and bores through the wind better at these 3/4 shots. I was very impressed. And this is here is what I want to point out. In another related post a few of you were pondering about what lofts to get. I agree with getting a less lofted club like this 17 and then using it for shorter shots simply by either swinging 3/4 or choking down. I believe by doing that you then have a club that you can hit over a 40 yard range. Also if you go with 2 utilities I would and say you're trying to choose between 17 and 23 or 17 and 20, go 17 and 20. For a shot where you require a 23, choke down on the 20 or swing 3/4.

As for distance this club is long. I went with Goodsie's advice of going a little longer in the shaft, 41.5". This club (at times) can rival my 3 wood in distance. The 3 wood is longer mind you, but this club can get out there. I've hit this club up to 235 yards. It is much easier to hit than the 3 wood so in my opinion would be a good replacement to it for those looking for such a club. At the same time though, I can do 180 yards just as easily by going 3/4, stinger, etc. Its all about "creating" shots and when you practice at it can really be fun to do.

Overall I don't believe you can wrong with this club. I find it easy to hit, easy to maneuver (should you choose to do so) and has the ultimate feel. Lastly as I've mentioned before it has one more feature that increases its versatility as well. Its hosel is .335 allowing you to place most any shaft you wish to use. I sometimes find the shafts at .370 made for most utility clubs to be too limiting.

you do know that i decided to get this over the yamaha because of your review? i even changed my original 20* to the 17! thanks man youve helped me a lot.

you do know that i decided to get this over the yamaha because of your review? i even changed my original 20* to the 17! thanks man youve helped me a lot.

Don't forget how many times I told you go to the RC too man. Even though you kept wanting the Yamaha! (^_^)

Don't forget how many times I told you go to the RC too man. Even though you kept wanting the Yamaha! (^_^)

yeah T you too! was so set on the yamaha but your comment about the tinny pop of the yamaha and the softer

impact of the RC sealed the deal. that article of yours on the twin rail is a sticky on my laptop! thanks to everyone!

OT a bit, Spoon, what did you reshaft your 901 with? I currently have the KBS Hybrid in mine and I dont like the shaft at all despite liking the KBS iron shafts.

Eponfreak, had a successful experiment today, loving the nspro 1050s on my irons so I re shafted the 901 with a ns950ht high trajectory 3iron shaft and it is amazing. Nice high launch which is what I want for this club. Was considering the 950hybrid but that has a lower launch. I usually use this club to attack the pin so I want a soft landing. Definitely more stable than the 750 which tended to go wild when swung too hard. Just thought I'd share this with you.

And bogey dog and t just wanted to let ya guys know I picked up the z17deg w upgraded ut75s. Can't wait for it to arrive!

• 2 weeks later...

i just received my 2011 TRC 17* utility with the upgraded ut-75s shaft.

man o man is this thing is pretty i love the rounded looks very much! not

a fan of the boxy hybrids. this is very appealing and love what they did

in changing the shaft color to a tasty tangerine!

the head is bigger than i thought and first impressions are quality, quality!

seems heavy on dry swinging, will bring it to the range later and post some

pics! so for now my bag is stable and no gaps between driver- putter!

thanks blader for your review and T for always steering me into the right direction!

im so glad i listened to you.