Royal Collection TRC Utility for 2011

Blader-X

my mate has the older vesion of this last yrs model, he palyed it on sunday

hit it beautifully with the di7s in it

he was KILLING it with this thing so the newer model must be the bees knees.

didnt hit it but boy was it nice at address , frames the ball beuatifully. smaller head than the yamaha. but in the same shape. ur right, its not boxy what soever .

look fwd to hearing ur views on this

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my mate has the older vesion of this last yrs model, he palyed it on sunday

hit it beautifully with the di7s in it

he was KILLING it with this thing so the newer model must be the bees knees.

didnt hit it but boy was it nice at address , frames the ball beuatifully. smaller head than the yamaha. but in the same shape. ur right, its not boxy what soever .

look fwd to hearing ur views on this

ive seen the yamahas as well and these are more good looking. havent hit this yet but

i can tel it will be solid! i was going to put the di 105 into this one, thank god you told

me it was a bad idea!

i just received my 2011 TRC 17* utility with the upgraded ut-75s shaft.

man o man is this thing is pretty i love the rounded looks very much! not

a fan of the boxy hybrids. this is very appealing and love what they did

in changing the shaft color to a tasty tangerine!

the head is bigger than i thought and first impressions are quality, quality!

seems heavy on dry swinging, will bring it to the range later and post some

pics! so for now my bag is stable and no gaps between driver- putter!

thanks blader for your review and T for always steering me into the right direction!

im so glad i listened to you.

I got my TRC 20° on a Fubuki last week. Yeah, the head did feel heavy (like a wedge heavy) from just fiddling around with it. It does look like a real quality club and super nice at address -- for once, an ute that did not look like I was going to hook the ball to the parking lot! If it behaves like I think it should and perform on the course, I'd probably get the 26° as well. Alas, I only managed one hit with it before the game was rained out on Sat. It felt nice but being the maiden shot, I think I gave it too much respect and it was only so-so. Lets see how it fares this coming weekend... ;)

The head is definitely heavy. I too was a little concerned at first. But after hitting it the weight actually helps the swing. I absolutely love it. Mind you, my shaft is the GD SF8x. I like the heavier weighty feeling of the head so much so that when I go to the 3 wood, it actually feels a little too light. I'm kind of wondering if the new Royal Collection woods have the heavier feeling as well. Could I possibly foresee the new 13 degree driving spoon taking the 3 wood place? Don't know but it is intriguing.

As far as this utility no need to hold back. You can well hit any shot with. Go after it hard, go after it 3/4 and little tiny stinger shots. I've yet to hit a bad shot with it.

The head is definitely heavy. I too was a little concerned at first. But after hitting it the weight actually helps the swing. I absolutely love it. Mind you, my shaft is the GD SF8x. I like the heavier weighty feeling of the head so much so that when I go to the 3 wood, it actually feels a little too light. I'm kind of wondering if the new Royal Collection woods have the heavier feeling as well. Could I possibly foresee the new 13 degree driving spoon taking the 3 wood place? Don't know but it is intriguing.

As far as this utility no need to hold back. You can well hit any shot with. Go after it hard, go after it 3/4 and little tiny stinger shots. I've yet to hit a bad shot with it.

You are correct the heavy weight actually helps with the swing. Hit around 20 range balls and am very happy. It does indeed produce little stingers with anything less than a dedicated full swing. Will take this out for a quick 18 Tom. I am actually toting the idea of a 15 deg 3w but I'm afraid that it would be a step back in the forgiveness dept. Vs the 202ht.

Will have more updates after tom

The heavy head really allows you to feel the head and where it is at all times in the swing. The heavy head also creates very solid impact. I love the pop of the TRC UT. I actually hook short FW's and UT's if they are too light but not the TRC clubs as their weight really keeps the swing in check.

Yes, I tend to think that a heavier head is better than a light one on a utility/rescue club; it'd restraint a tendency to over-swing, which is the worst thing you can do, even though it's the thing your body/mind wants to do, when trying to get out of trouble! Trust me, I have a lot of experience in trouble ha! That said, it is not just marginally but noticeably weightier. Compared with my other clubs, especially the Egg Spoon on a Crazy FW80 whose head I could barely feel, it's going to taking some conscious adjustments. Anyway, like I said, lets see how it fares this weekend. ;)

1 round under the belt and a will have another go tomorrow.

Wow this combo is heavy do not know the static weight but this

Is easily the heaviest club in the bag. Had to adjust my timing

Many times and had a lot of swing misfires. Off the tee a monster

And is almost as long as my 3w but definitely more accurate. This

Is a laser club and I think I will be using this more as my go to club

When I don't have any confidence in my driver and 3w.

The shaft is ok but still sorting the weight issues , must be the head

As I use a ns950s in my 19 and 22 and this a measly 75g only. I can say

With confidence that I will get this sorted by Tom , the key is to get my tempo

And timing in tune with the heavier head. This thing feels like a beast compared

To the egg, my Adams and pnt hybrids. Will have more updates Tom.

After I got over the 'head is heavy' thing, it was business as usual. Straight as an arrow. Though I must say, I have not had a chance to play it from too much trouble, the forest or beach, just shots off the fairway so the rails weren't really called into action. Still, if anything, I think it's only going to be better than other utes/rescues I've used. Very happy with it. :)

another 18 in the bag, have used it in place of the 3w and its almost as long. although i am still adjusting to the head, overall combo is more

than satisfying. this is my first 2h as my previous ones were all 19 and 20, the additional loft is alright! this is one of the straightest clubs in my

bag and will be using this as a 3w replacement til my 3w comes. i see how the rails benefit this club, and the feel is just great. has more of a solid

tink which i like and have grown accustomed to.

one thing for certain is that i could have used a lighter shaft same flex or same weight softer flex. i usually game my woods on the softer side but out

of the box this thing is manegeable and i still need more time to familiarize with the club. i love this club so much that i ordered the 3w twin rail. cant

wait for that one.

another 18 in the bag, have used it in place of the 3w and its almost as long. although i am still adjusting to the head, overall combo is more

than satisfying. this is my first 2h as my previous ones were all 19 and 20, the additional loft is alright! this is one of the straightest clubs in my

bag and will be using this as a 3w replacement til my 3w comes. i see how the rails benefit this club, and the feel is just great. has more of a solid

tink which i like and have grown accustomed to.

one thing for certain is that i could have used a lighter shaft same flex or same weight softer flex. i usually game my woods on the softer side but out

of the box this thing is manegeable and i still need more time to familiarize with the club. i love this club so much that i ordered the 3w twin rail. cant

wait for that one.

Weren't you using the Egg Spoon? I thought that was way longer than the TRC by a country mile!

Weren't you using the Egg Spoon? I thought that was way longer than the TRC by a country mile!

202ht then the egg spoon in 17 then back to the 202ht.

I was never comfy with the sound and feel of the egg.

I preferred the solid feel of the 2o2ht. It was also easier for off the tee

Use.

I however got bored and will be replacing it with the RC. I know it's shorter

But from what I heard it will be more accurate. Time will tell.

202ht then the egg spoon in 17 then back to the 202ht.

I was never comfy with the sound and feel of the egg.

I preferred the solid feel of the 2o2ht. It was also easier for off the tee

Use.

I however got bored and will be replacing it with the RC. I know it's shorter

But from what I heard it will be more accurate. Time will tell.

Yeah, the sound from the egg is thud-ugly, I admit, but it gives good distance, is quite forgiving and as versatile as a 3-wood gets being able to hit off many different lies. If only it didn't launch so high hmph.

IMO, the egg and TRC are completely different clubs for different purposes. Doubt if you could settle for either in your bag. ;)

another 18, this club is sooo long. its way longer than my 5 wood and much easier to use. i think i find it too long

for my needs, i am thinking the 20* would be more suited to me. i will give this more time, so far so good love the

head, love the feel, everything about this club is a1! only time i think il get less use is when i get my RC 3w. been using

this as a 3w replacement for now and has worked superbly!

another 18, this club is sooo long. its way longer than my 5 wood and much easier to use. i think i find it too long

for my needs, i am thinking the 20* would be more suited to me. i will give this more time, so far so good love the

head, love the feel, everything about this club is a1! only time i think il get less use is when i get my RC 3w. been using

this as a 3w replacement for now and has worked superbly!

Glad to hear its going well. I've hit some epic shots with this club and yes its long.

Glad to hear its going well. I've hit some epic shots with this club and yes its long.

yup i have one of my best ever shots with this in two particular holes i would struggle with.

since i no longer game a 5w as i no longer require that particular distance, i know it retrospect

should have ordered a 20* instead of the 20.

i may choose to reshaft this with a livelier ozik fm series shaft and compare it to the RC TRC 3W

i just received. il be comparing forgivness and ease of use as well as distance. will have updates soon.

Ok have another two rounds with the ute. Verdict, I think the problem is the shaft. Although it is relatively lightweight

I find the feel a bit dead. It's not spectacular feeling, ball flight is ok but I was expecting more considering this

Is an upgraded ut75s shaft from graphite design. I will try a little experiment and put a steel shaft in this one.

I may opt for a nspro 850 steel fw shaft or a nspro 950 high trajectory shaft as used in my 22 9o1 and 4iron.

Hoping that this experiment works. If not then il go back to the driving iron route

ok the verdict is in. this club is way too long for my needs. this is very nearly as long as 5wood distance, probably

longer but much easier to use. i dont carry a 5 wood. i need a 200-215 club that is versatile from anywhere, the 17

is just too long and utilizing half swings will not provide the nice high carry trajectory i desire but baby stingers that

never hold the green.

also i did not get a long with the shaft. even with hybrids i fair better with super stiff lighter shafts, flex of the ut75s is

alright but feels like a mace with the 75 gram shaft. whats weird is i had a 18 super hybrid from adams with an aldilla 85s

shaft that was way livelier than this combo and we all know usdm shafts are much boardier. i was thinking of re-shafting this

with a quattro md shaft but what is the point, with this shaft it may even be longer and higher than with the existing shaft which

will make my problems worse.

so with much regret i am going to get the 20* instead. i dont have any use for this 17*. i could re shaft it with the quattro md and

play it at 42.5 and essentially play it like a 3w. id certainly to that but i love the RC TRC 3 wood so not a chance.

Pardon my NOOB like question but having never played a UT club...

Isn't 18* a standard loft for a 5w, so barring significant differences in shaft length shouldn't a 17* UT fly as far or farther than a 5 wood? Also given that it is a heavy head wouldn't that add to the distance achieved with solid contact?

Thanks,

RIDuffer

Pardon my NOOB like question but having never played a UT club...

Isn't 18* a standard loft for a 5w, so barring significant differences in shaft length shouldn't a 17* UT fly as far or farther than a 5 wood? Also given that it is a heavy head wouldn't that add to the distance achieved with solid contact?

Thanks,

RIDuffer

well yes a standard 5 wood is 18 degree but it is played at 42.5 vs 40.5 for the 17 hybrid.

all things being equal the wood will go longer. i find the hybrids easier to hit though as i can

hit down just like my irons. cant do that with a wood. the hybrid also serves different purposes

as it can be used on the fairway, rough etc etc.

the heavier head is there to make getting out of the rough easier.

ok the verdict is in. this club is way too long for my needs. this is very nearly as long as 5wood distance, probably

longer but much easier to use. i dont carry a 5 wood. i need a 200-215 club that is versatile from anywhere, the 17

is just too long and utilizing half swings will not provide the nice high carry trajectory i desire but baby stingers that

never hold the green.

also i did not get a long with the shaft. even with hybrids i fair better with super stiff lighter shafts, flex of the ut75s is

alright but feels like a mace with the 75 gram shaft. whats weird is i had a 18 super hybrid from adams with an aldilla 85s

shaft that was way livelier than this combo and we all know usdm shafts are much boardier. i was thinking of re-shafting this

with a quattro md shaft but what is the point, with this shaft it may even be longer and higher than with the existing shaft which

will make my problems worse.

so with much regret i am going to get the 20* instead. i dont have any use for this 17*. i could re shaft it with the quattro md and

play it at 42.5 and essentially play it like a 3w. id certainly to that but i love the RC TRC 3 wood so not a chance.

C, is that 200-215 m or yds? How long are you hitting it?

told ya....................,

get the 21* or even the 24*

the 17 is long. its a 3 w repalcement tool ,much easier to hit and close in distance.

the 24 wil be that tool. higher 200 yarders.

im trying one this wekeend

well yes a standard 5 wood is 18 degree but it is played at 42.5 vs 40.5 for the 17 hybrid.

all things being equal the wood will go longer. i find the hybrids easier to hit though as i can

hit down just like my irons. cant do that with a wood. the hybrid also serves different purposes

as it can be used on the fairway, rough etc etc.

the heavier head is there to make getting out of the rough easier.

Wasn't it PRGR's marketing material for the 2010 Egg Impact that said shorter shaft and heavier head yield better quality shots and faster ball speed off the face? That is if you believe marketing hype...

So I agree that the UT should be easier to hit as it is shorter and better out of the rough due to the head design and mass, but I think the extra distance makes sense for the same reasons. Better quality contact with more mass behind the ball...

As an aside I am awaiting delivery of the 21* & 24* OnOff UTs later this week as 7 wood and 3 and 4 iron replacements, so some of my arguing is rationalization on my part related to that purchase...

Wasn't it PRGR's marketing material for the 2010 Egg Impact that said shorter shaft and heavier head yield better quality shots and faster ball speed off the face? That is if you believe marketing hype...

So I agree that the UT should be easier to hit as it is shorter and better out of the rough due to the head design and mass, but I think the extra distance makes sense for the same reasons. Better quality contact with more mass behind the ball...

As an aside I am awaiting delivery of the 21* & 24* OnOff UTs later this week as 7 wood and 3 and 4 iron replacements, so some of my arguing is rationalization on my part related to that purchase...

well as for distance gains or losses.

i think i already told the story a while ago about a guy called chris hetherington that played american footy for sanfran i think it was...,

as fulback and is also a super hot golfer.

seriously the longest hitter ive eve seen ............. by a long long way.

well he games the titleist 13* ute. with a v2 108 grams xxx shaft in it doesnt use any other fairway wood. and hits it galaxies long.

i wouldnt have beleived it unless i was standing next to him when he did at narusawa on the 3rd. flew the green 285 out.

i ifell on the ground in hysterics . in total........... utter.............. disbelief.

hence ive got some utes in my bags now . still lolking for the "ONE" tho.

u want to see someone hit down on a ute u shoullda seen this , was abslutley incredible. was murdering it all day. from that day on ive been looking at utes since , hard thing is to get one that suts my eye. the best shape one ive had is the adams super black, but it feels just so-so ordinary.

he reckon definalty they are long and easier to hit than the fairway woods.

but i just cant see it happeeneing from a tee. all i see is balloons when i stand on a tee with a ute. i need a bigger head. from a faiway tho. sure not a problem.