Scotch.. or Single Malt In General

Single Malt?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What do you drink?

• Single Malt!!! ...mauahahaha fredooom!!
    • wtf is single malt? ... wait what is malt...? Why am I alive?
    • I drink Sake... but not too fast or it goes to my head.. so i need to liie down after I have a cup
    • SOJU!! because Koreans do it better.
    • I like my whiskey with a cobra in it because Im from laos and Im just the FSODHJFK hardcore
    • I drink beer.... aka the worlds nastiest blend of concentrated crap

Whether it be a fine Islay, Highland, Lowland (gag) or even the under-appreciated Japanese Yamazaki single malt. If you are a lover of the single malt or scotch whiskey in general - this thread is for you. List your faves, what you currently have stashed in the house or in a decanter on the office desk.

Lets hear it?

Islay only for me!

Lagavulin, laphroaig and ardbeg! check my avatar out duhh!!! havent tried the yamazakis yet

the lagavulin pedro ximenez special cask edition is my standard

nice sounds like some good stuff. I find those malts to be a peaty, they almost mask other flavors - but then I know lots of people who can down through the peat and unlock at the flavor.

My standard right now is a Benromach 21y/o from speyside, delicious honey with a touch of smoke.

Get around to a bottle of 18y/o yamazaki when you have the chance, it won a fair number of awards at the international spirits festival. Definitely I high quality malt. Its basically a sotch malt from Hokkaido :)

I love the poll options!

Japanese single malt, Master Sasaya took me to a scotch bar where i tried Nikka Yoichi. I googled it and it's 20 years.

it was great!! Also love Yamazaki but really I'm not a scotch snob but I do require good Vodka in my drinks!

I'd like to try islay. It's just dangerous to have these in my cupboard A very different Chris would be posting in these forums :tsg_smiley_devil::tsg_smilie_mad::tsg_smiley_skull::tsg_smiley_cop:

islay only baby, as i post this thread i had some ardbeg and shoju so i should probably vote twice on the poll.

nothing beats the medicinal oaky burnt toast taste of pure islay single malt, oh soo yummy! ending the night with

some hot ramen and a purchase of some golf gear:) tomorrow will be fun haha

next time im in japan we must play a round then hit up some scotch :D

Islay only for me!

Lagavulin, laphroaig and ardbeg! check my avatar out duhh!!! havent tried the yamazakis yet

the lagavulin pedro ximenez special cask edition is my standard

C, as TSGer said, you should really try the Yoichi by Nikka out of Hokkaido (not sure that Suntory/Yamasaki is really out of Hokkaido). Just bought a bottle of the limited 1990 Yoichi as a collection and would be interested to see whether this vintage would win anything later this year. Nikka also produces the Miyagikyo single malt from their Sendai distillery. Unfortunately I don't know whether that distillery would be producing anything soon. Also bought a few bottles of 15 year old single malt for keep sake.

Edited by Duffer19

Just stumbled into this thread, so to speak, but thought I'd throw in my $.02. I'm a Highlland Scotch lover, Glenmorangie (Sherry) being my favorite and once a year I buy the Glenmorangie 25 Year Old and sneak away by myself to enjoy it, no sharing this stuff!! What did George Thorogood say "when I drink alone I like to be by myself"! I also have gotten into some high end sipping bourbons for a change but that's for another thread.

Before I moved to Maui I lived in Colorado in the US. If any of you are ever in Denver there is a place called Pints Pub in the downtown area that advertises it has more Scotches than any other bar this side of Scotland. If you love scotch and you're in Denver check it out.

Jim

• 2 months later...

Single malts only. Yoichi 20 yrs is the best. Spicy. Yamazaki 18 is next, more complex. I think both have won some sort of awards over the years. The yoichis are hard to get unless you arey in japan, so a mate of mine orders them on line for me. Mccallans are great, but over priced for what we get on 18s. Was once taken to a local whiskey bar in kyoto - tried a tiny bottle of single malt ( 400ml ) they said was unique and special. It was awesome, pity i cant remember the name.

well i was in my brother in law's bar and after a nice hearty dinner

i ordered my favorite islay SM after about two glasses i noticed a bottle in

the corner that looked vaguely familiar. Ah it was the yamazaki i saw in Tsg,

ordered the bottle and drank a couple of glasses. not bad, my first taste of

japanese malts, it does take some getting used to but i like it a lot.

IMG-20110708-00071.jpg

Royal Salute 21. Cause I'm a wuss and need something super smooth...

I'm not a connoiseur by any means but I take pleasure in single malts. The Yamazaki 18 is very nice but not to evryone's taste. My favorite casual malt is probbaly the Glenfiddich 14 yr. I also do like, although not a sinle malt and is a blend, the Johnny Walker Blue label. That is one smooth baby.

• 8 months later...

Glenfiddich is my fav too.... recently now been trying some Jap single malts. Different but nice.....

Not a big Scotch guy but always have a bottle of The Macallan 12 year old on hand.

The missus just picked up a bottle of 18 Y/O Laphroig. Looking forward to trying it out :)

wow you have a good one. laphroaig and lagavulin are my top two single malts of all time.

they are from the islay region. smoky and peaty! you will love it!

• 4 weeks later...

I shouldn't really admit this but I'm Scottish and I don't like Whisky.................now before you all start lambasting me it gets worse.

.My wife works for William Grants the company who produce Glenfiddich & The Balvenie range of fine Malts and gets lots of free whisky!

My favourite drinks are Corona or a Southern Comfort

hahahahaahahahahaahahahaha

thats like a mte of mine yrs back met gril in a bar in the US started dating her , turned out to be "miss budweiser" ie, the daughter.

he doesnt drink beer.

what a waste.............,!

thats like a mte of mine yrs back met gril in a bar in the US started dating her , turned out to be "miss budweiser" ie, the daughter.

he doesnt drink beer.

that is a waste indeed.

@Gken74

i love the balvenies! especially the Doublewood12!

shaking head, what a waste!

that is a waste indeed.

@Gken74

i love the balvenies! especially the Doublewood12!

shaking head, what a waste!

Well I'll maybe offer a bottle up in a free comp the next time she comes home with some.

Edited by gken74

he doesnt drink beer.

That's OK Stew, Budweiser doesn't make real beer anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

I just can't seem to acquire the taste for most scotch. There is something about the peat-mossy taste in most that doesn't do it for me. I prefer my whiskey darker and with a high proof, which means I gravitate to bourbon, preferably with about 10+ years on it. Usually in the rotation: Bookers, Pappy Van Winkle, Buffalo Trace and Black Maple Hill 16.

However, one scotch I do have an affinity for is the Glenrothes 1992. It was my celebration bottle after taking the law school admissions exam.

Yoichi 20 yrs - best out there. For something different, they have coffee grain & peaty slaty botles too !! Mcallans / yamazaki are great, but overpriced