Land Rover stopped producing these in 1983. The schedule is 2013 for the concept and 2015 for the production model.

have a look:

lrdefsvx_1280_03.jpg

lrdefsvx_1280_05.jpg

lrdefsvx_1280_08.jpg

lrdefsvx_1280_12.jpg

lrdefsvx_1280_13.jpg

lrdefsvx_1280_15.jpg

lrdefsvx_1280_27.jpg

Pretty cool. I'd rather have the G55 Mercedes but it's also probably 100K more.

Pretty cool. I'd rather have the G55 Mercedes but it's also probably 100K more.

Not my cuppa tea but i'd have it if its free :)

I like the looks but it's not a configuration for comfort or control. I'd be very interested in the engine. Rover does not have all that good a history of economy, efficiency or durability. The only thing I ever really liked about the Rover has been the aluminum body and the square shape.

Shambles

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
...Rover does not have all that good a history of economy, efficiency or durability. The only thing I ever really liked about the Rover has been the aluminum body and the square shape.

Shambles

that's a very polite way of saying they're garbage...and you would be exactly right! my sport supercharged is the biggest piece of crap i've ever owned...but as you mentioned, they do look good.

They nice, nice of you like breaking Down!

Although the Defender was the more reliable out of the range!

I can't remember which TV pundit said he'd rather have a Ten year old Toyota than a 2 year old Rover!!

They nice, nice of you like breaking Down!

Although the Defender was the more reliable out of the range!

I can't remember which TV pundit said he'd rather have a Ten year old Toyota than a 2 year old Rover!!

I doubt they are all that bad but admit they need more care and maintenance than a Toyota Landcruiser 80 series. The short wheel base gives it more maneuverability in tight spaces and, surprisingly, contributes to climbing ability. I understand that Rover got into the aluminum body construction because there was so much left over after the war. Much of the design consideration was based on the ability to build by hand and the need of farmers for a utility vehicle for general service as well as that of soldiers for romping about in places where roads were not available. At the time it was first built, it was arguably the best vehicle for general purposes that could fairly well be repaired or maintained with very few tools. I think, but am not sure, the Defender was what made the Land Rover a big name world wide. One of the better to me design aspects of the Defender was the fact that it is ambidextrous.

These days off road vehcles are much more comfortable but also much more complicated.

Shambles

Love it!! Next beach car

Well I think with the range rover , range of vehicles , less is more!

We have a defender 90 on the Farm and it's brilliant!!

But would I have a RR Sport... Errr no ...

• 1 year later...

Love the look but would never get one!

Either the old crappy one or a really up to date one (not a Landy / Range)

this is one bad ass machine, a beauty Defender has stuck to its DNA and changed very little. This car looked almost the same over 20 years ago but the Jeep looks different from only a few years back. Just looking at the jeep, you can tell it is aimed more at the SUV class rather than a fully fledged off-roader. not really my style i'm more of a family station wagon with 552 hp, that is not a car it's a rocket :tsg_smilie_smile2: