Epon technity 380cc experiment. Reviving old classic

Spoon

Will most certainly do. Playing this at 45 d2 265 cpm.

Did not want to play it too stiff, also did not want to

Tip the shaft, cut the butt only. Had it spines and playing

The shaft spine at 6ocklock for maximum distance. Could

Have optednfor 3 oclock for accuracy but that's just boring.

Will be playing Tom and if this one works, I'm pullingbthe FEX proto 65s and getting the

70s for my epon

65s too light?

65s too light?

yup. flex is fine but having problems with my transition.

having to slow down my tempo which is really unnatural.

Ive regained most of my strength back post injury.

yup. flex is fine but having problems with my transition.

having to slow down my tempo which is really unnatural.

Ive regained most of my strength back post injury.

Did you get Simon's old shaft ? I'd be interested in that one if you have no use for it. It might suit my old 983K.

I thought Simon a fool for going on to the bigger and newer clubs. He made some of his most impressive drives with that 360, his greatest improvements and it seemed to me a bit more learning would have had him shaping shots off the tee. That is a very good club but too pretty for my hands. Considering that I use my Drivers on the fairway and sometimes even on a good lie in the rough, a fancy paint job like that would be wasted on me.

Shambles

Did you get Simon's old shaft ? I'd be interested in that one if you have no use for it. It might suit my old 983K.

I thought Simon a fool for going on to the bigger and newer clubs. He made some of his most impressive drives with that 360, his greatest improvements and it seemed to me a bit more learning would have had him shaping shots off the tee. That is a very good club but too pretty for my hands. Considering that I use my Drivers on the fairway and sometimes even on a good lie in the rough, a fancy paint job like that would be wasted on me.

Shambles

Simon just sold me the head.

I'm not gaming the 380 not the Burl 360.

Had my first round with the combo today. Holy smokes!!!

This is by far the longest driver combo I have ever hit. Damn

Forgiving too for a 380 this blows all my previous drivers out

Of the water.

The 9003 shaft has smoothened my combo and I am easily

Outdriving my best 102 drives by at least 15 yards consistently.

Know that feeling when your further than any drive you've been

In the local course? No getting familiar stage, off the bat it worked.

No desire to replicate the shaft success w the 102. Was thinking of

Getting the proto65s pulled and installing a 75s but whats the point,

I'd be too greedy to do that as my new club just excels. It feels loads better

And the shaft is no slouch either. I have stuck to my 102 for 2years, in one day

I just found something that outperforms it.

Scary to think of the red devil with a quadra proto 75

Forgive me... I've posted links to your pics of the 380 over at golfwrx in a "Best Looking Driver" thread (i'll remove the links if you want),

Very, very glad to hear it performs as well as it looks.

Lordy.... I shall have to see if the friend in Bangkok who has Epon drivers (and Gauge, Miura, Epon irons etc etc !) has one of those, forgotten somewhere in some cupboard/closet/garage. Here's hoping...

what weight is the shaft you're using (or the raw headweight if you know it)?

I'm using an Adams 9015D (they picked out a heavier head) with a Blueboard 83, at 44 1/2" length which feels like a good overall weight.

My gut feeling is that if you're using regular weight steel shafts in irons (around the 120's-ish) then a 44 1/2" driver shaft would best be mid 70's or heavier; lighter steel shafts maybe you could go to a mid 60's to 70's in a 44 1/2" driver, and any superlight steel/graphite irons then...?

The 'old' swingweight system was only a reasonable estimate and works only with 1/2" shaft increments with same steel shafts including up to the driver, so getting a 'superlight' head and 50g shaft to 'swingweight' at D2 doesn't mean it's going to remotely feel like a D2 7 iron with a DG shaft in it when you actually swing it.

I'd be interested what experienced/expert club fitters really think about the issue (rather than the OEM's and their Iron Byron test results and marketing - and more to the point, tests with golfers hitting alternate 7 iron and then driver shots to see how they cope with the change of weight/length of club. Stand up there long enough whaleing away at the ball with your driver time after time, and you'll get used to it's swing feel etc).

Forgive me... I've posted links to your pics of the 380 over at golfwrx in a "Best Looking Driver" thread (i'll remove the links if you want),

Very, very glad to hear it performs as well as it looks.

Lordy.... I shall have to see if the friend in Bangkok who has Epon drivers (and Gauge, Miura, Epon irons etc etc !) has one of those, forgotten somewhere in some cupboard/closet/garage. Here's hoping...

what weight is the shaft you're using (or the raw headweight if you know it)?

I'm using an Adams 9015D (they picked out a heavier head) with a Blueboard 83, at 44 1/2" length which feels like a good overall weight.

My gut feeling is that if you're using regular weight steel shafts in irons (around the 120's-ish) then a 44 1/2" driver shaft would best be mid 70's or heavier; lighter steel shafts maybe you could go to a mid 60's to 70's in a 44 1/2" driver, and any superlight steel/graphite irons then...?

The 'old' swingweight system was only a reasonable estimate and works only with 1/2" shaft increments with same steel shafts including up to the driver, so getting a 'superlight' head and 50g shaft to 'swingweight' at D2 doesn't mean it's going to remotely feel like a D2 7 iron with a DG shaft in it when you actually swing it.

I'd be interested what experienced/expert club fitters really think about the issue (rather than the OEM's and their Iron Byron test results and marketing - and more to the point, tests with golfers hitting alternate 7 iron and then driver shots to see how they cope with the change of weight/length of club. Stand up there long enough whaleing away at the ball with your driver time after time, and you'll get used to it's swing feel etc).

no worries, its fine and thank you:)

im actually looking for more of these little buggers!

i dont know the weight of the head but weight of the cut shaft is 71 grams, around 75 grams raw. playing

at 45" d2 swingweight. the heavier club has smoothened by tempo. i used to game 75x shafts and 130x irons

but after my back injury last year i have taken it down a notch, now that i am ok i am somewhat reorienting myself

with the heavier clubs.

i am using 115gram modus3 shafts, 70ish driver, and am pulling my 65 wood shaft in favor of a 70+ gram shaft.

key for me is to feel the club in the transition. this is the magic position and finding a club with the correct static weight

is key to getting in the right slot with the most normal tempo. i dont beleiving in alternating your tempo to suit the clubs

its vice versa.

i also believe in static weight more than swing weight. as much as swingweight on paper works i find that it is nearly not

as important as static weight imho. many many factors to consider and SW one of them but not the most important. thats

why after i get my clubs built only things i want to know are static weight and cpm. when i swing it and it feels good thats it.

if fallen prey many times to the trap of finding out that the perfect club was only c9-d0 and would operate on it to make d2-d3 only to

ruin the clubs feel. just my 2 cents

• 2 months later...

Well its been months since i updated this post, i havent been using a driver for the last month

due to the fact that i was totally dissapointed with the P9003X in this head. others would lynch

me for saying that but i found the P a struggle to use. i easily had one of the longest drives

ive ever hit but that was like 2x out of 10. i wasnt getting the carry i liked but got more roll

out. i would say that the P was just a bit demanding for me, as stew says they are the formula

1 of shafts, unfortunately my ss is only for indycar or F3 at best:(

i very much enjoyed the non p 9003, that was smooth and a freakin joy to hit, nice high launch

with a very explosive kick. but alas i get tired of things and have recently went back to my original

choice months ago. how ironic, i could have saved myself the trouble of 4 shaft changes, and a fistful

of $$$

so back to the original bad boy FEX PROTO 75S. This is everything i am looking for in a shaft. nice

and hefty, high launch, low low spin. flex is just right at 265, although i could have handled an sx

but that would have been on the verge of demanding. i just love the fex so much, i wont bother trying

another shaft in my drivers. playing my 380 at 45" D2.

everything old is new agn.

what a top driver this is.

pitty these arn around any longer . all those looking for a sub 400 cc jobby, this would fit the bill100% prefectly.

havnt hit a fex f in a driver for a while either, im gonna revisit it soon aswell.

let mek now the differnce bet the fex and gd in this style head ove the next few rounds pls.

everything old is new agn.

what a top driver this is.

pitty these arn around any longer . all those looking for a sub 400 cc jobby, this would fit the bill100% prefectly.

havnt hit a fex f in a driver for a while either, im gonna revisit it soon aswell.

let mek now the differnce bet the fex and gd in this style head ove the next few rounds pls.

with all the new tech im using a 6 year old driver. the old is new again i like it

the fex is a bit looser (flexwise) but you get mostly all carry, just the way i like it. very hard to push it left

with this one you can really go at it and get balls that just soar (think head has something to do with it)

i would rate this at par with the no P 9003 but the 9003 was punchier and longer but dispersion was

erratic. the FEX proto is just electric with a glassy sensation(80t)

the p9003x on the other hand was a beast of a shaft. 273cpm of pure piercing ball rage. thats the best way

i can describe it, low launchers that sliced thru the wind like the silver surfer, balls apex was slightly lower

but you get tons of roll out. i liked it very much and wish i had the brawn to use it.

the P9003 IS THE IDEAL SHAFT FOR SUB 400CC DRIVERS had the best trajectory, the best

flight, best dispersion, best distance. quadra fex proto 2nd. i guess the p9003 could be in the caliber of

the heavy crazy sigmas ( no experience with those tho) but they are cheap and one could easily experiment

with them. i know i have

the P9003 IS THE IDEAL SHAFT FOR SUB 400CC DRIVERS had the best trajectory, the best

flight, best dispersion, best distance. quadra fex proto 2nd. i guess the p9003 could be in the caliber of

the heavy crazy sigmas ( no experience with those tho) but they are cheap and one could easily experiment

with them. i know i have

I would agree with this sentiment. I would add though they need to be low spin heads as the shaft can balloon if not properly matched. I have used a few Crazy shafts, but none of their driver shafts as of yet so cannot say for sure if the GD would outperform the Crazy...

Spoon,

Might be time for you to try out a Crazy. Let me know how it goes cause then I might follow suit...

Edited by RIduffer

I would agree with this sentiment. I would add though they need to be low spin heads as the shaft can balloon if not properly matched. I have used a few Crazy shafts, but none of their driver shafts as of yet so cannot say for sure if the GD would outperform the Crazy...

Spoon,

Might be time for you to try out a Crazy. Let me know how it goes cause then I might follow suit...

must resist the darkside. Lol the crazy lineup terrifies me

• 1 month later...

well its been awhile, the 380cc has been on vacation inside my drawer, its coming out of retirement to

be shafted with something fitting. i hope this is the combo to end all combos! stay tuned

• 2 years later...

Talk about rehash nan old thread.

Have. CBT 75SX in the 380 and it is a tad too spinny but a definite performer. Also have the little brother with a P9003x, wow.

Definitely still some value in playing older heads, not only are they usually more compact in size but also feel great.

I just aquired a Yammy inpres V 360 forged 15-5-3 B Ti face 10*....stunning condition

Just shafted it with a new Fuji Zcom MW54

Holy smoke does this thing go.

Old body new engine is quite satisfying...

Indeed my friend

I have all the older Yammys with various new shafts

2 x 460Ds 9 & 10, 460V 9, 445D 10, 2 x 410Vs 9, V201 & last but not least 360V non con

Love them all but some shafts make some as good as anything you can get now

Know how you feel about the older smaller heads C

Must be something special if it your gamer :)

Been gaming yammy v inpres 360 as a second driver and it is a rocket launcher

Sound and feel are just superb.

The noise this thing makes is like a crack of thunder...love it

Know how you feel about the older smaller heads C

Must be something special if it your gamer :)

Been gaming yammy v inpres 360 as a second driver and it is a rocket launcher

Sound and feel are just superb.

The noise this thing makes is like a crack of thunder...love it

my 2 most successful drivers are an Epon 380 from 2004-6 and a yamaha 405d from 2005.

you should try that yamaha inpres 405d. its a monster!