The skinny on tipping a shaft and...

I've read various opinions on the outcome of what tip trimming a shaft and adding a butt extension will do to the overall stiffness and swing weight of the shaft. Now, to me, what makes sense is... tip trimming will make the shaft play stiffer, and adding a butt extension of the same length will add a similar amount of weight back to the shaft, maintaining the swing weight, while also rebalancing the shaft to its original balance point. Actually, I'm kind of blowing smoke about that last part regarding the balance point. If I'm right about that, I just got lucky.

I'm bringing this up, b/c I am playing an 'ilima 60S in my driver right now, but I'm thinking about getting the same shaft in regular flex and tip trimming it to a firm flex. The shaft that I have my eye is used and pulled. I'd probably have to add an extension in the butt to get it back to my preferred length.

Someone please, please, please let me know if I've done the right research or if I'm wrong and I'm going to completely screw up the feel, kick, balance, swing weight, and stiffness of this shaft if I do this.

Lastly, if I am actually able to get a pulled 'ilima 60R that's already been cut to length but not tip trimmed, how much will I have to tip trim it to get it to play to a firm flex, maybe 1/2 inch? I have an Epon Af-101 head.

Thanks, guys.

if u tip it it will make the club quite a bit firmer , ive found and much lower. so be carefull how much u tip it.

an ilima tipped will fly quite a bit lower and starighter id imagine.

not a bad shaft to do that to, i certianly woudlnt be doing it to a crazy.

the butt extensions are as simple as a pice of another shaft stuck in the butt and covred with a grip wont know the differnce feel a differnce.

nothing wrong at all with tipping most shafts just dont advise it on the anti left ones or ull have to be dustin johnson to make the thing go straight.

ive had some calamatous fk ups doing this., even to a blue board. which is now a tomato plant holder.

1/4 an inch in the ilima shud be fine id think ask goodsie tho hell know for sure...,

be careful on how much to tip. you will rarely get a flex higher than what you have half a flex at most

and that is already pushing it. you will also change the flex and flight profile of the shaft but not by much.

expect your cpms to increase by only 3-4 max half inch. you can obviously cut more but there will be

point of diminishing return. i suggest cutting it a half inch then playing it. now if that doesnt work then

cut it another half inch but not more. imho a 1" tip trim will still be softer than a full flex up.

It's what the lads said, ilima is firm mid section with softer butt & tip so tipping it 1/2 inch with play it tip stiff, lower flight etc. You also have to take into account bore depth and weight if your head. My ilima 80s on 3w had to be retipped to 1" total tipping on a heavier head & shallower bore depth (read up on bbgm)

example your driver head 1/2" bbgm and pull shaft you're getting played R in a 1" bbgm head. Then you don't have to tip it. It will play firmer in your head already.

Also remember that you're only likely to tip this 1/2" and you might find a sub 45" driver will work better.

Edited by Eca

Okay, thanks for your advice guys.

Spoon, I'm only looking to go from reg to firm, not reg to stiff. You think 1/2" will get that for me w/o screwing up the profile?

yup 1/2 is fine. , nope profile will be the same, you will hardly notice a different in flight etc.

try not to over analyze the small stuff, youl be fine. good luck