Other putters like Miura KM-350?

Ara selai

What putters have a similar design and/or weight to the Miura KM-350?

I was in the shop tonight getting the lie adjusted on my irons, and was killing time while they were being adjusted. After admiring a few new wedges (another post), I wandered into the putter gallery. I looked at the dizzying selection, and was quickly ready to go back to the wedges, when a Miura KM-350 caught my eye. It was shafted with a pearl white steel fiber shaft (don't recall the make), and a white grip, and that combination, together with the discrete silver head, looked totally unlike all the other putters on display. I'm not usually a fan of the all-white, R11 style of club, but it worked its charm on me in this putter. Plus, the small head and simple style really appealed to me, as didnthe graceful neack-to-head transition.

Anyway, having seen it, I gave it a spin, and really liked it. Just for good measure, I tried it against some Gold's Factory competition, the Miura KM-005, a Heavy Putter, and my trusty Scotty Cameron Newport Teryllium, which happened to be in my bag. I've used the SC since 1998, and had not given serious thought to replacing it. However, I found the Miura was ridiculously easy to hit accurately from 10-15 feet (as far away as I could get on the putting surface), had excellent lag (all my putts were within inches of the hole), and had a unique, firm feel to it compared to the other putters. Of particular note, it felt much more authoritative than my SC, which was the only club with an insert that I was hitting. One of the GF Anser-style putters stood out as well in terms of lag, but wasn't as accurate in my lowly hands. In general, the 350 had a better feel (to me) than my SC or the other Anser-style putters. I knew better where the ball was going (especially long and short), and it was easy to determine range. I kept going back to it again and again.

Which made me wonder: maybe the blade style and/or the particular balancing and/or weight is better suited to my putting. I have a pendulum-like swing, a fairly well-modulated tempo, and I putt with firm forearms (not sure if that's the proper way to describe it). I'd sure like to find something thatbperforms on the greens like that one was performing in the shop! Unfortunately, there were no other similar style putters on display to test whether it's the heel-shafted blade design or the weight or the balance that was working for me. I can rule out the heavier weight as a significant factor, as I found the Heavy Putter terrible to swing. So, over to the GTI community: are there any other highly-recommended JDM putters with a similar blade design to the KM-350 that you can suggest? I googled a little bit and found an Odyssey model (iX) that is similar to the one that Phil Mickleson apparently uses (shame on me for not knowing that!). From what I can see, other JDM brands/models besides Miura in the TSG proshop are the Kenmochi KP-01 and the TM Rossa. I'm not beholden to any brand, nor am I presently ho'ing (yet anyway!) for a new putter. Just doing a little research at the moment. Appreciate your help, and especially comparative comments if you've tried a few of these out in action.

Edited by Ara selai

Y not just get the km-350? I think it's size is Kool and I nearly bought one myself since I purchased the 1957 irons. Im a scotty teryllium user too.Only thing that stopped me is that I committed to buy Tario's ghost spider. Lucky I waited.. This putter is amazing.

"Y not just get the km-350?"

Now there's a clever idea! Having had the same thought after lusting chastely all day, I've made an offer I hope the shop won't refuse for the demo I tried.....

Unfortunately, I tend to obsess a bit about these things, and always want to see if there's anything I prefer more, before going with my gut. especially when I'm looking at "luxury" items with a hefty price tag compared to other options.

By the way, to aanswer my own question, I did some more googling today and finally found the magic word to use in a search: 8802, as in Wilson 8802. That gets me a whole pile of images of similar putters! Still think the KM-350 is one of the best looking in this particular style, and I just groove on the feel. (As an aside, Wilson must have been some company back in the day; between this classic putter style and their revered Pro Staff irons from the 60s and 70s, they were doing something right!)

How much? I know a supplier.

PM sent, Eca.

Ok

The shaft on the KM-350 I tried here in Jakarta is an Aerotech steel fiber putter shaft. Anyone know anything about these? I think it looks nicer than the standard steel shafts, and it gives a different feel to steel shafts, but does it do anything that justifies its higher price?

Not for the price they're asking :)

What about the UST Frequency Filtered shaft for a $10 premium over the Nippon NS shaft, from the dealer you recommended? Either option is a lot less than the best price in Jakarta. Anyone notice any uplift with a higher end putter shaft, versus a TrueTemper?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Trey, i just went for stock shaft with Iomic. He said he noticed the diff with ust ff shaft but not with nspro aside from weight.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the KM-350 assembled and delivered late last week, with a Project X 55 shaft and a green Iomic grip (the color of money). Looks outstanding with the non-stepped shaft! Thanks to GBS for helping me source it here in Indonesia, thereby avoiding the import tax! (Also, thanks to the other forum members who offered other options to source it.)

Now to play it! Review to follow at some point head-to-head against my old Scotty.

Would also like to compare it with the Yamada Razor and/or the Royal Collection Miami, but haven't found any in the area to demo. Has anyone had an opportunity to hit these models side-by-side against the KM-350, who cares to comment on relative feel? I'm mostly asking out of curiosity, as, aesthetically, I prefer the more compact head shape of the 350....

Edited by Ara selai

Glad to help T. :)

I personally think the heel putter like the KM-350 is very difficult to master for us midcappers. Do you use the in-square-in stroke like Phil with his Odyssey or his old old Yonex? I have the SC California Del Mar (and the Yonex too) and instead of using the in-square-in stroke, ended up just using the square square stroke like any other face balance putter in order to have a decent putt. Than again thats just me.

I will have to pay closer attention to the arc as I use the Miura. With the Scotty, it's always been a very minimal in-square-in swing, approaching square-square-square, and never felt quite right, nor gave me the length results I expected. I notice a bit more natural tendency to in-square-in with the Miura, and have found the putter gives me a more consistent putt. But that's been on practice greens, and not the course....

Definitely a square-square-square swing with the Miura, and the arc felt really comfortable and in-control.

Today was my first day on the greens with the putter, and the things I noticed were: (i) the putter was deadly accurate - went exactly where aimed, with authority; (ii) feel is magnificent - solid, firm, and buttery (it felt like hitting an iron purely); (iii) the dense head worked better for me on uphill or breaking lateral slopes than downhill lies. I was completely unprepared for the speed on the downhill lies. On three different holes, I missed the cup by inches or less (attesting to its true roll), but went yards long as a result of a little too much mustard on the shots. I was giving it the same gentle stroke I normally use with my Scotty, but didn't anticipate the length. Anyone considering buying one of these - and everyone should, IMO! - ought to keep in mind that the dense head REALLY transmits a lot of energy to the ball. That's great in many cases, but definitely requires some adjustment in other cases.

Overall, I can't speak highly enough of this club. It is pretty much the Uber-putter, as far as I'm concerned.

Compared to my Scotty, the main differences I noticed were my improved accuracy (no missed putts within 2 m, and excellent lag control on longer shots, with the exception of the downhill shots I mentioned previously) and the feel, which simply has to be experienced. There is NO torque on this baby, and the firmness ought to be a benchmark for other putters. It made the Scotty feel a little frail.

The last thing I'll say is that I'd love to try it with a shorter shaft. I noticed I was choking down an inch or two on the grip as a natural tendency. [Can someone direct me to the recent post on shaft lengths? I can't find it anymore.] I'm 6'2" and play with a 35" shaft, and wonder if I should consider something a little shorter?