Flex options

DaleUK

ok after a Epic Epic disaster on my last shaft purchase I thought I'd ask if my train of thought is correct...,,

If I'm hitting a S flex in a Driver but wZnt an easy hitting 3 wood would it be fair to say I'd look at using a SR flex ???

Dale,

To help you find a suitable shaft, provide mor details about what you are trying to accomplish, what you will be installing it in, what had and what has no worked. Include realistic swing information such as tempo, swing speed, approach angle, etc. Shaft mistakes are costly!

I generally go same flex class at the most to 1/2 flex softer. My reasoning is that this is the hardest club to use in the bag used supposedly for accurate tee

Shot on tight holes or 2nd to a par5 to get home in two. This is the club u want to be swinging easy ie 80%. on average I use 4-5 times a round, hardly enough hits to really warm up to it.

There u go, different school of thoughts. Can give us more info, ie what happened with- what shaft/head, how was it installed/ trimmed. Ball flight u got, what you wanted. Are u more aggressive with 3w than driver or vice versa?

Right guys, I'll try and explain:

With the last shaft offerings.... 9003s and Di8s I had absolutely nothing but nightmares ....

I'll start with the Driver( Epon 9.5), I've alway aimed down the right as I tend to Draw the ball and found that with the 9003s it just was a straight block out and I mean a block.... Flight wise was a little lower than I like too.

I found that If I swung like a Gorilla I could just about keep this down my fairway, but to be honest I'd not fancy a full round like that.

The best feeling shaft I've had the pleasure of hitting was the Quadra FEX in S flex, nice light shaft with lots of tip action( which helps me square the head)... But as well we know these ain't the cheapest on the Market

Epon 3 Wood, if I could manage to swing it , then that too went massive right, not a cut but again straight block but very low... I got nothing from the shaft although the club head did feel sweet...

I might add here that I've never really carried a 3 wood other than I borrowed my friends old TM 3 with a steel shaft ( think it was called super lite?) which I hit like god!

Now I have to agree here that I'm trying to swing softer, not slower!

My Swing:... Lol

I take a 3/4 back swing , with a fast transit into my down swing... I'd say it's aggressive at worst, slightly quick and I do attack the ball steep!!

Any help??

All the very best

D

Ps its not a distance thing I'm after but something I can play !

I think there is some great info in each of these posts. The 3w isn't likely to have the swing speed or as aggressive transition as the driver. Also it is likely that you need a slightly softer flex as well as more torque. Each time I have found that I block a club consistently, that is where I look. In my case, I have backed down 1/2 flex and stayed in the magic torque numbers of 3.6+ on my driver shafts. Maybe install the 3w long and soft and test. You can always tweek the length and tip to add some stiffness, etc. Save your money and get into another Fire Express. The failure with the 9003 and DI shaft tells you something.

Driver SS & hcp?

Edited by Eca

I think there is some great info in each of these posts. The 3w isn't likely to have the swing speed or as aggressive transition as the driver. Also it is likely that you need a slightly softer flex as well as more torque. Each time I have found that I block a club consistently, that is where I look. In my case, I have backed down 1/2 flex and stayed in the magic torque numbers of 3.6+ on my driver shafts. Maybe install the 3w long and soft and test. You can always tweek the length and tip to add some stiffness, etc. Save your money and get into another Fire Express. The failure with the 9003 and DI shaft tells you something.

I totally agree with bogeydog that one should go with softer flex and higher torque, especially with the 3 wood, the most difficult in the bag, IMO. Sometime it make sense to actually use a fw shaft such as the GD SF series instead of cutting down a driver shaft for the purpose. In any case, i can only dream of going for a par 5 in two so I carry a 17* 4 wood instead, a much easier club to launch a ball off the fairway.

Driver SS & hcp?

My handicap is 9

Swing speed... Anyone's Guess!!

I'm drawn towards the Graphite Design Tour AD PT in 63g , S flex for the driver and SR for the naughty 3 wood

What do you guys think??

My handicap is 9

Umm get a prgr rep :)

Bit hard to talk flex with no idea of speed. How about driver carry & 7 iron carry?

Umm get a prgr rep :)

Bit hard to talk flex with no idea of speed. How about driver carry & 7 iron carry?

7 iron 160 yards( maybe plus 5 yards) which is my *NEW*relaxed swing( it ain't slow by any means!!)

Driver 260 yards, it's hard to judge carry on ya Driver, I know I've had 2 Drives Measured in Comps .. 297 and 295 total Drives

Dale i have a friend with a similar profile to you. For ur 3w adventure, Try hitting still

In the 80g class FW but in R. If there's a demo r9 3w that has an 85g motore

Avail in R. Or try SX but in a lighter class around 70g +|- a few grams ie fw80 6.9. Torque numbers can be tricky to compare between high carbon & standard shafts & diff manufacturers. There's no real standards.

Ur 9003 result def shows too stiff. Y not try RD in stiff or cb46 in 6.7SR or 7.2S. The 6.7 is used by a fren gian11 (pm him) who can make it work between 88-97 mph so it's quite versatile. I'm 100-104 using 7.2 but the 6.7 held well & wont have a problem

gaming that at all. The RD from my research needs a more Even tempo swing and needing

Just a bit Firmer in flex.

It's never easy but try filling up one of those forms in crazy fitting & email it to Tario.

Dale i have a friend with a similar profile to you. For ur 3w adventure, Try hitting still

In the 80g class FW but in R. If there's a demo r9 3w that has an 85g motore

Avail in R. Or try SX but in a lighter class around 70g +|- a few grams ie fw80 6.9. Torque numbers can be tricky to compare between high carbon & standard shafts & diff manufacturers. There's no real standards.

Ur 9003 result def shows too stiff. Y not try RD in stiff or cb46 in 6.7SR or 7.2S. The 6.7 is used by a fren gian11 (pm him) who can make it work between 88-97 mph so it's quite versatile. I'm 100-104 using 7.2 but the 6.7 held well & wont have a problem

gaming that at all. The RD from my research needs a more Even tempo swing and needing

Just a bit Firmer in flex.

It's never easy but try filling up one of those forms in crazy fitting & email it to Tario.

Thanks for ALL the advice, I shall go try hitting a few 3 woods with R flex!

D

Thanks for ALL the advice, I shall go try hitting a few 3 woods with R flex!

D

yea but heavy.. the iron shafted you hit would be fairly heavy? Then try a lighter but firmer shaft before actually buying.

yea but heavy.. the iron shafted you hit would be fairly heavy? Then try a lighter but firmer shaft before actually buying.

To be fair I need a golf shaft with a soft tip!!

Yup, so do I especially off the deck. Something similar profile to an ilima or redboard. Tip trim less from manufacturer reco especially with lighter heads & short bbgm.

Yup, so do I especially off the deck. Something similar profile to an ilima or redboard. Tip trim less from manufacturer reco especially with lighter heads & short bbgm.

Off topic slightly, but what's the head weight of an Epon 202 3 wood?

Seems very heavy to me!

Also what would be the results if I bought a Reg Shaft, and had to trim 1/2 off the tip??

Assuming it play to Soft?

Off topic slightly, but what's the head weight of an Epon 202 3 wood?

Seems very heavy to me!

Also what would be the results if I bought a Reg Shaft, and had to trim 1/2 off the tip??

Assuming it play to Soft?

Not sure of weight dale but generally 3w are around 215g.

Most driver shafts will have trimming instruction from none to 1/2" generally for a 3W. If u install one shaft on 2 heads one 10g heavier, the tip will play a little softer in the heavier head. Alternatively if one head is bore thru & the shaft bottom is practically on the ground, that will play firmer than if the shaft bottom is 1/2" off the ground playing the same length.

The tip more or less affect your ball flight. If what u buy requires tipping, try not tipping it & play it 1/2" longer if you prefer a softer tip. You then got a little room to

Trim if your ballooning.

Edited by Eca

Not sure of weight dale but generally 3w are around 215g.

Most driver shafts will have trimming instruction from none to 1/2" generally for a 3W. If u install one shaft on 2 heads one 10g heavier, the tip will play a little softer in the heavier head. Alternatively if one head is bore thru & the shaft bottom is practically on the ground, that will play firmer than if the shaft bottom is 1/2" off the ground playing the same length.

The tip more or less affect your ball flight. If what u buy requires tipping, try not tipping it & play it 1/2" longer if you prefer a softer tip. You then got a little room to

Trim if your ballooning.

Eca I'll keep you updated once the new shafts have come!

Thanks once again

Dale

Good luck Dale.. Jus remember, all 3 wood are possessed & can turn on u at any time hehe.

My handicap is 9

A whole lotta guesswork going on here. I'm all for experimenting with different shafts/heads, but not knowing basics like your swing speed and trying a bunch of stuff will only continue to frustrate you and is a recipe for disaster, besides being quite expensive in the end.

Why not get professionally fitted? Either here at TSG or through your local fitter with a Trakman?? It will tell you a great deal about your swing and ideal shaft/head combination.

There I some common information in this thread.

1) 3 woods are tough to hit and shafts are tough to find for them.

2) Dale is going through the process, as any of us have, somewhat blind.

3) Hunting and pecking for the right shaft is expensive and produces erratic results.

4) Proper fitting is a good investment.

How about taking your current setup to a fitter that knows shafts and find out where it is failing you. Find a trackman or similar and start there. It likely will educate you beyond just the three wood.

IMO, the Epon 3w is not that easy to hit.

A whole lotta guesswork going on here. I'm all for experimenting with different shafts/heads, but not knowing basics like your swing speed and trying a bunch of stuff will only continue to frustrate you and is a recipe for disaster, besides being quite expensive in the end.

Why not get professionally fitted? Either here at TSG or through your local fitter with a Trakman?? It will tell you a great deal about your swing and ideal shaft/head combination.

Agree 100% with trackman as long as it's done outside and you actually see the ballflight.