Best mallet putter??

swisstrader

I'm a mallet putter guy...currently using a backstryke with a big ole superstroke grip and I'm actually a decent putter with that setup. That being said, I'm looking to make a change to either a Scotty Cameron mallet style putter or open to other suggestions.

Thoughts on best mallets out there? Or best Scotty mallet?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a mallet putter guy...currently using a backstryke with a big ole superstroke grip and I'm actually a decent putter with that setup. That being said, I'm looking to make a change to either a Scotty Cameron mallet style putter or open to other suggestions.

Thoughts on best mallets out there? Or best Scotty mallet?

I once tried the SC Red X putter, nice but not for me!

Try the Scotty Kombi or fastback

Edited by Eca

Bettinardi for sure.

I prefer smaller mallets with good sight lines and good balance (not too head heavy). Some of the best IMO are past models, some of which you can pick up at a very good discount. Try looking at the Oddysey Black Series #3.

post-13986-027690300 1322579767.jpg

Bettinardi for sure.

I love the look of bettinardis in the past, but not the way the ball feels off the face. That was some years ago so perhaps the feel has changed. Any suggestions on best model bettinardi mallets?

This is what I'm using right now Miura KM-007

1/2 offset comes with Nippon Shaft

post-13849-051893000 1322603787.jpg

Edited by Eca

Very nice...like the way that putter sets up. What's it feel like at impact? I love the way Scottys look for example but was never a fan of the tinny sound the putter makes at impact.

I love the look of bettinardis in the past, but not the way the ball feels off the face. That was some years ago so perhaps the feel has changed. Any suggestions on best model bettinardi mallets?

Paul, I'll do some research on which model. I'm a big fan of the fit face which gives me a softer feel. I'm not a mallet guy.

The most popular (not necessarily the best) mallet amongst the pros is the Odyssey Two Balls in various form. It is a 'truer' mallet then the small/half mallet like the Del Mar or Squareback.

Paul, I'll do some research on which model. I'm a big fan of the fit face which gives me a softer feel. I'm not a mallet guy.

Thanks Pete. Never been a great putter with anything but a mallet. Just gives me more confidence

Very nice...like the way that putter sets up. What's it feel like at impact? I love the way Scottys look for example but was never a fan of the tinny sound the putter makes at impact.

All my friends that have tried it, no exceptions, said Soft great feel. I'm coming from Scotty studio select to Scotty button back to TM Spider

Ghost JDM & this one really suited me in all aspects.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone, I've just come across this awesome forum.

Why don't you give the Odyssey Backstryke a try? It really does seem to roll the ball in a different, softer way to other mallets (which I find a bit heavy handed), and I absolutely love it on fast greens. Like this review says (click the link), it even has an original Anser style "ping" sound too!

Yea makw a very very good one easy ro hit sifh line bi rounde semu curcle baxk won best putter in2008 in some american golf mag trying to rem the midel name not a victoria very similar but center shafted ill have a look ar home

Paul check out a SS10 or BB35 on Bettinardi's website.

• 2 months later...

I played a classic Ray Cook mallet for years before going through the inevitable flavor of the week phase.

Right now, I seem to have settled on a Yes! Victoria II. It seems as good as anything else. I think it's a mallet but one could possibly call it a wide flange.

Still, putting, chipping, and sand play have been my Achilles heel forever.

That's why I love our 5290 yard par 66 course. I'm not missing every single green as I possible could on a 6800 yard brute, so I avoid candlepin bowling scores.

Nobody's choosing me for the Ryder Cup team. It's about fresh air and socialiizing with my friends for me. But at 65, i still love it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried many mallets over the years (TM, Betti, Cleveland, SC Fastback etc) and recently found out I putt best with an older style Scotty Cameron. I randomly purchased a TeI3 Del Mar Two (straight back) and it's been PERFECT for me. I'ts basically a mid mallet with a super soft insert and has a plumber's neck. I think I really like the fact that it's lighter than most newer mallet models. good luck on your hunt!

post-15020-0-75296000-1333078079.jpg

post-15020-0-60447800-1333078084.jpg

post-15020-0-44479100-1333078091.jpg

post-15020-0-01702000-1333078095.jpg

"Best" is a relative term. What feels/works best for one person may not be the best for another. The only honest answer to this question is to try out every different putter that you can and decide what you like the best.

I really like my Tourstage Kevin Burns Type III. I roll the ball really well with it and it has a nice, soft feel at impact. Before that, I had a Cleveland Classic 2 and it was OK but I had alignment issues with it. I would oftentimes pull putts with it.

About 8 years ago I tried a Scotty Cameron Red-X and I absolutely HATED it. I couldnt putt the ball into the ocean with it if I were standing on the beach and I had some serious problems with distance control with it. To me, it just had no feel.

Ive tried a few Bettinardi mallets and they were OK but even at the height of my Mizuno obsession I never really liked them all that much. IMO, theyre highly overrated putters.

Im sure theres people who loved those putters that I didnt like and thats OK. Thats why they make putters in so many different shapes. Its all it what feels good to you and what suits your eye.

I'm sure you've noticed that most koreans and japanese use the scotty cameron and they still cannot putt well. scotty cameron is all about golf industry marketing and idol worshipping t. woods. its nothing special.

Ive had the pleasure of being group with just as many Americans who fit the same description.

i am a big Bettinardi Fan i like the 2011 model SS7 if i am not wrong. These are some of my collection.. Sadly i don't play Mallets anymore.

post-12329-0-62394900-1333460353.jpg

post-12329-0-77938000-1333460355.jpg

post-12329-0-49322800-1333460372.jpg

post-12329-0-51950100-1333460374.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

For some reason heel shafted half mallet putters are the only ones that suit my eye. Can't play anything else. They somehow feel more natural for my stroke. Have been using a cheap cleveland classic model for years and liked it a lot. Soft of the face and decent distance control. Always had issues with distance control with the odyssey white hot xg models which were way to soft. Graet for short putts but on longer ones... oh boy. Just recently purchased the 2012 Taylormade ghost tour ma81 (us version) model. While I'm not too convinced on the feel, performance more than makes up for that. That white finish really does work for alignement. Standing over the ball it gives you the impression that you will always hit it where you re aiming.

• 1 month later...