Best mallet putter??

swisstrader

My present rotation includes a Rife Trinidad, a Louisville HB, and one mallet--a Yes! Victoria II.

The Victoria II is, I suppose, as good as anything else.

It's my opinion, however, that the next good putter made will be the very first.

I've hated all putters for fifty years as that has been the one aspect of the game with which I've never significantly improved.

All of which makes my opinion on putters especially useful; sorry.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play bettinardis and they are very well finished.....in terms of feel, it depends on the material, i dont like inserts so i stay away from those.....with bettinardi, they have DASS, Copper, and Carbon Steel as well as various platings......I play a handmade CS mallet made of carbon steel and it works well for me....My other favorite includes the older dass half mallet . has a shape similar to the Odyssey Rossie

• 2 weeks later...

Do you like larger or smaller mallets? I've gamed a Del Mar, and an old Callaway Tuttle II. Both were great putters. For larger mallets, I just received an Odyssey DART that moves the ball very nicely.

Edited by asualum

Hands down... the new Bettinardi BB-54 mallet.

Aluminum plus fit face = amazing soft feel with the perfect amount of audible feedback.

Adjustable backweight.

Putts and amazing roll on the ball, distance control is a breeze and the ball really seems to hug the line as I find myself playing less break then usual around my club.

Love it!

post-4264-0-04644100-1341921239.jpg

post-4264-0-65982500-1341921274.jpg

post-4264-0-17348300-1341921319.jpg

Hands down... the new Bettinardi BB-54 mallet.

Aluminum plus fit face = amazing soft feel with the perfect amount of audible feedback.

Adjustable backweight.

Putts and amazing roll on the ball, distance control is a breeze and the ball really seems to hug the line as I find myself playing less break then usual around my club.

Love it!

Wow, love the look

• 1 month later...

I had a few Scotty mallets...but I have to give my vote to the Original Odyssey Rossie putter...major winner which started all of us on mallets. Newer generations also good especially Tri Hot equivalent...but not as epochal.

• 1 month later...

This is the best mallet putter that I've ever seen. :tsg_smilie_love:

post-15035-0-56880900-1349437965.jpg

post-15035-0-63083600-1349437989.jpg

post-15035-0-38636100-1349438005.jpg

I've got the Miura KM-007 and Odyssey #9 that's here in the TSG shop with the new face. Gotta tell you, the Odyssey's been in the bag a lot lately. The feel is way better than any Odyssey I'd tried before and rolls it great. Soft but not mushy, and with good feedback. The Miura is dead solid like their irons, a little less forgiving than the Odyssey. Sad to say, I hit the Baby Blades better than the Miura putter.

This is the best mallet putter that I've ever seen. :tsg_smilie_love:

post-15035-0-56880900-1349437965.jpg

post-15035-0-63083600-1349437989.jpg

post-15035-0-38636100-1349438005.jpg

That's FANTASTIC looking!!!

It's not in your bag, lemme put it in mine!

Edited by Miuramaniac

It's not in your bag, lemme put it in mine!

Ha ha ha, go for it, it's on ebay.com right now but it hasn't met its reserve price. For some reason I just highlight all the great stuff that's on sale but never buy anything myself! Stupid low paid job :tsg_smiley_loser:

• 1 month later...

I've played many acclaimed mallets and recently got a RomaRo barque and love it. Nothing fancy or super sexy but just a mean putting machine.

It's nice knowing that even on the rough days it has your back. Toe miss? No problem. Heel miss? No problem. They roll more true and with proper speed than any putter I've ever tried. Not for everyone but for someone wanting a great feel putter with tons of forgiveness it's worth a look.

• 7 months later...

I've played many acclaimed mallets and recently got a RomaRo barque and love it. Nothing fancy or super sexy but just a mean putting machine.

It's nice knowing that even on the rough days it has your back. Toe miss? No problem. Heel miss? No problem. They roll more true and with proper speed than any putter I've ever tried. Not for everyone but for someone wanting a great feel putter with tons of forgiveness it's worth a look.

Sounds like a good standby putter .. What is the barque type 1 lie and loft ? Is it toe hang at 4.00 o`clock ? .. Based on the product japanese words there is suppose to a tpu resin insert for the barque, but yet the picture of the putter face is milled ... ?

Bettinardi Signature 6, best mallet to me.

TSG... Are they still available for sale?

TSG... Are they still available for sale?

They should still be available in the ProShop. Assuming you are talking about the RomaRo. It is a standard production model.

It's not the prettiest thing but it works well. The CS version is what I use.

I've contemplated sending it to Sasaya-san for a mod job.

• 1 month later...

Have been thinking about getting one of those Scotty Red X2 Lawsuit putters and sending it in to Gold's for mods.

Anyone have experience with the Red X2 with the GSS insert?

Guest kbeasley

I have one, absolutely love it. I gamed a Miura KM-350 for a couple years, it is a fantastic feeling putter, but with a toe down balance, it is completely wrong for me. The Red X2 feels similar to the Miura, but it is nowhere near as dense behind the ball, if that makes any sense. I putting better than I ever have with the X2, mostly because it is a CS mallet. The GSS insert is very solid. If it were a bit thicker it might well be perfect like the Miura.

As a comparison, I also have a Scotty Futura Mallet 2 (http://www.scottycameron.com/archive/putters/2007/futura_phantom_2007.aspx) . It has a big, semi-circular stainless backweight with a 6061 aircraft aluminum face and body. At the exact same length and head weight, the Red X2 feels like I am pointing and shooting. The Futura Mallet 2 just doesn't have the same density, I feel like I am trying to herd the ball to hole. I attribute much of the differnce to the GSS insert as much as anything else.

HTH,

Kevin

ive use that phantom. loved it. when i was good iwas hot when bad oh godi shud have turend around left handed.

hers my newest as in yesterday.. 14 puttts back nine.........

borowed it form m y buddy. hes not getting it back.

I have one, absolutely love it. I gamed a Miura KM-350 for a couple years, it is a fantastic feeling putter, but with a toe down balance, it is completely wrong for me. The Red X2 feels similar to the Miura, but it is nowhere near as dense behind the ball, if that makes any sense. I putting better than I ever have with the X2, mostly because it is a CS mallet. The GSS insert is very solid. If it were a bit thicker it might well be perfect like the Miura.

As a comparison, I also have a Scotty Futura Mallet 2 (http://www.scottycameron.com/archive/putters/2007/futura_phantom_2007.aspx) . It has a big, semi-circular stainless backweight with a 6061 aircraft aluminum face and body. At the exact same length and head weight, the Red X2 feels like I am pointing and shooting. The Futura Mallet 2 just doesn't have the same density, I feel like I am trying to herd the ball to hole. I attribute much of the differnce to the GSS insert as much as anything else.

HTH,

Kevin

Thanks for the info Kevin.

Just picked up a used x2 on the bay.

Always liked the 3 dot seemore alignment. can't wait to try her out!

ive use that phantom. loved it. when i was good iwas hot when bad oh godi shud have turend around left handed.

hers my newest as in yesterday.. 14 puttts back nine.........

borowed it form m y buddy. hes not getting it back.

That's an interesting looking putter. what kind is it?

I wish I could be better at toe balanced putters.

its called a silver blade sb-hb 03 andi was pinging them al day with it yesterday.

amazing.

its face is lovely to hit. heavier but soft. nad it rolls right out.

my distacne was senastional with it.

i haveno idea about any of tis materials

nothingi just know where the baleneded up.

had to get one this AM