Soft feeling JDM Driver

potuna

I just moved a Yamaha driver because it felt like a skillet, hard, harsh. I've talked to a few friends that also said JDM drivers feel harsh except one claims the Epon 101 is different. Now I know feel is mainly sound but my irons feel soft/smooth but the JDM drivers I've hit don't, thoughts?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. What model of Yamaha felt hard? What shaft was in it?

I think a lot has to do with the right shaft for the head.

But I haven't hit too many Epon Drivers that were anything but harsh. Very soft feel.

Kamui feels soft and solid. Put an i'lima in it and it is real soft feeling.

Most of the PRGR and ONOFF has a soft feel.....

They're out there. :)

Interesting. What model of Yamaha felt hard? What shaft was in it?

It was a 2008 model I got from Stew, it had a Miayazki 72 black in it. The shaft is on the stout side but the sound/feel was hard/harsh.

I'm currently playing an R11 9 with a Mitsubishi Blueboard 73 in it. Soft mid flight that goes and rolls out.

He would be best to answer about the head. I have several 2009 Tour heads and they are silky smooth. LMK is you need one.

Epon had aways been a soft feel. I have had PRGR, Kamui, Ryoma, etc. I do agree with idrive that shafts matter, but haven't experienced a hard head.

Feel is very subjective. Every person will perceive it differently. Shaft will also affect the way a driver feels.

What other drivers have you tried?

Many of the JDM drivers are forged and known to feel quite soft.

As you said, sound and feel are very much related. In your opinion what constitutes a soft feel? A muted quite sound at impact or a higher pitched metallic sound?

Muted sound at impact.

I've hit all the Taylormade drivers, I don't play Callaway, long story, Cobra S3 white, Titleist D2/D3 and just the Yamaha in JDM

I think the Ryoma head feels "muted" at impact...but have also learned that some people refer to the sound as "soft." It is definitely taking some getting used to after hitting my tin can Sasquatch

That Nike and a lot of the Cobra's sounded/ felt like hitting a trash can. I'd love to get a JDM driver but for the coin it has to perform and have a soft/ not harsh tingy feel for me. I'm playing blueboard and DI-7 shafts and would like to go Crazy but that's another issue.

I just moved a Yamaha driver because it felt like a skillet, hard, harsh. I've talked to a few friends that also said JDM drivers feel harsh except one claims the Epon 101 is different. Now I know feel is mainly sound but my irons feel soft/smooth but the JDM drivers I've hit don't, thoughts?

Most of the high end JDM drivers feel so much better then any US drivers out there.

Before I made the switch over to Yamaha drivers (thanks in large part to advise from Bogeydog) I've had Ping, Taylormade, Titleist, Adams offerings... The main problem with US heads is not really knowing where on the head I've hit the ball plus the tolerances being all over the map (loft, face angle)...

Definitely worth the extra coin!

Edited by charge

softest feeling driver i had was my old 360cc with a di shaft in it.

in my experience i would consider the muted sounding ones were

soft at least to my perception. shaft it with a GD and it becomes softer.

the larger sized drivers say 460cc have more ting to it thus feeling more

tin to me. just me though.

i can relate somewhat to your situation. The epon 101 is defnitely soft but i found my callaway ft9 ta to be very soft, softest driver i have hit !!! Im gaming a Kamui Ray right now, it doesnt sound very good to me at all, too loud a driver for me, but the results are great !!! Long and forgiving and very predictable....i wish it sounded better but it feels nice !

My R11 feels way better than the Yamaha I hit, I hit the Miayzaki in a superdeep and it felt better than the Yamaha. I'm looking for a head that will feel good to me with a BB or DI-7, before I get into a Crazy or Quadra fire.

My R11 feels way better than the Yamaha I hit, I hit the Miayzaki in a superdeep and it felt better than the Yamaha. I'm looking for a head that will feel good to me with a BB or DI-7, before I get into a Crazy or Quadra fire.

for some reason most of the heads i try with a GD regardless of the shaft model feel good.

cant say the same for fuji and usdm shafts

I think it's more the head than the shaft. I like smooth shafts so that's all I have, Altus, Di, Blueboard.

I am so happy that Potuna did not like his new Yamaha driver because now I have it and I like it. I put a brand new "White" House of Forged shaft in it and it is a monster. If you are not familiar with House of Forged, they provide long drive shafts for long drive competitors. All their shafts are white like the Patriot and the Sadlowski but their newest shaft is called the "White" shaft. Their shafts are made by Matrix and all of their shafts are very nice. You can check of House of Forged online.

One again, thanks Potuna for trading me for the driver.

Doc

softest could be the epon 102 , i think.

depends on the shaft, lower kick will be softer feeling.

the 360cc you have with a di8s was the softest thing ive ever hit.

not the lightest though.

If you're going to talk softest...... Epon Technity My #1 - I wish I'd never sold club

The Technity 460 Anniversary edition - Deep Blue.....

Anyone have one laying around??

u ddidnt like the yammy??? oh no.

wow.

out of the yammaha range i guess , thinkng baout it now..,

this is prob. the most rigid of the heads.

they get progressivelly softer as yrs go on, til lthis yrs which feels a tad more robust than last.

boggies fav is the 09 that is a beaut stick the new shape stars here.

thas isnt harsh at all.

that mightbe ur answer.

all yamms i absolutely love.

oh man no idea u didnt like that one. damn.

If you're going to talk softest...... Epon Technity My #1 - I wish I'd never sold club

The Technity 460 Anniversary edition - Deep Blue.....

Anyone have one laying around??

im familiar with the 460zr maroon. did not even know they had the deep blue limited.

the zr was pretty soft come to think of it. softer than the 102 and even 101

Again for me it's the Epon 102!

The softest feeling heads I have/had is the FT9 tour, vega DAF and my current favourite, the Tourstage 703. I've hit the 703 with a few different shafts but it feels soft and springy regardless of shaft.