Golf Resorts in Florida

I'm desperately seaching for first hand information on golf resorts in Florida. I would like to spend my spring vacation anywhere in Florida - preferably on the coast. Top notch golf courses is tops on my list but the hotel/condo/beach house shouldn't be scrappy either...

Any help is very much appreciated!

I have been going down to Florida for a week around end of Feb or beginning of March for the past 10 years at various locations. Depending on your own need but for us four guys (would not bring families) on a guys' trip with wall to wall golf, we find that Orlando offers the best compromise of good golf, accommodation and good food at a reasonable price. In the beginning we would stay at Disney and play all the usual suspects but in recent years, we have been staying at Reunion Resort which offers 2 to 4 bedrooms condo and 3 18 holes of championship courses. Besides the 3 courses on site, the other courses we always return would be The Orange County National, the home of the PGA Q school. You can imagine the two courses there are not exactly your retirement community courses. Besides golf, there is the Annika Sorenstam Golf Academy on site at Reunion and while you might not get Annika to teach you personally, you could certainly get her sister Charlotta.

If you are going to the Tampa area, be sure to play Saddlebrook, perhaps Innisbrook but World Wood is definitely a must.

Edited by Duffer19

Thank you Duffer19 for the prompt reply. I'll check out the destinations on the net as fast as I can.

No offense to anyone, but I'm not a big Disney/Orlando fan...very touristy and Disney golf courses are a bit Mickey Mouse, if you will. Tampa a bit on the sleazy side...lots of strip clubs and some golf on the side.

If you want a bit higher end, I would suggest either West Palm Beach or for just plain great nightlife and great golf, look at Miami Beach.

Go out of the way to Brooksville, FL. About an hour or less North of Tampa. Play World Woods Pine Barrens and Rolling Oaks. Drive 35 minutes North and play Juliette Falls. 3 of the top 7 public golf courses in FL. If its about golf do these. Add the private Black Diamond Ranch a top 100 Private Course in Lecanto by staying on site. Awesome Quarry Course. Lecanto is actually almost the center staging area for all three of the public options I mention. 4 great courses, get the local food stops. Probably the best 4 courses you can play within 45 minutes of each other in all of Florida.

Edited by stevopagolf

Thanks Stevo for your very useful information on some of the nicest courses in Florida. I just checked them out and they seem to be top-notch!

Thank you swisstrader too btw.

• 1 month later...

Hi, gifted golfer

I have decided to try Sandestin in the Panhandle region of Florida. I'll be there soon and with leave a review here as I get back. Actually I can't wait to get there!

I'll chose a different location for my next vacation ;-)