Hard step vs Soft step....

DaleUK

ok , as I'm sure you guys know I'm looking for the " firm" feel in a shaft, and I got to thinking....

Is it better to hard step a Reg flex or Soft Step a Stiff??

Benefits of both Please?

Most customized shaft flexes I have seen are soft-stepped. Each "step" is about a third of a true flex. In trying to achieve a "firm" flex, if you want something just a bit softer than a true stiff, than I would soft-step stiff shafts. If you want something just a bit more stable than a regular flex, than I would hard-step regular flex shafts. Now I'm no fitter, but to me, hard-stepping makes more sense b/c once you soft-step a shaft and cut it to length, you can't reverse the process. Technically you can add butt extensions to each shaft to save them, but I don't like extensions. If you hard-step a shaft and decide you want to reverse it, then you can just cut those shafts to length. But again, most steps I have seen are soft.

Also trajectory will change slightly.

Doesnt hardstepped shaft seem to have a stronger trajectory than a softstepped shaft at vrtually same flex?

Gosh it all seems like to much info!!

ive soft stepped in the past and i didnt like it , the shafts felt sloppy in the tip section. i got a lot of whip i didnt /coulnt control properly .

i like a firm feel nad mid high flight in my irons the soft stepping didnt do it for me,

im a hard stepper!@.

Edited by supo67

ok , as I'm sure you guys know I'm looking for the " firm" feel in a shaft, and I got to thinking....

Is it better to hard step a Reg flex or Soft Step a Stiff??

Benefits of both Please?

Actually, it's better to first determine what flex you need. If the club is already working for you, you should also be already aware of what flex you need, or at least, think you need. If you are still unsure, keep playing what you have and keep trying to improve until you are absolutely sure of what you think you need.

Stepping shafts is no longer the simple thing it used to be because manufacturers have different ways of making them. For example, I extended a set of NS Pro 950GH an inch because I found the shafts too short and didn't want to continue the struggle to adjust to those shorties. Surprise. The shafts became perceptibly softer regardless of common wisdom that extending a shaft does little or nothing to the flex. I had done this to an old X14 SW and there was no change other than greater comfort for me. The NS Pro was apparently Butt Stiff and therefore reacted differently to the extension.

You now need to determine what kind of shaft you have and how it was made before doing anything to it.

The safer and simpler way these days is to just buy the shafts you think you need and install them.

Shambles

Actually, it's better to first determine what flex you need. If the club is already working for you, you should also be already aware of what flex you need, or at least, think you need. If you are still unsure, keep playing what you have and keep trying to improve until you are absolutely sure of what you think you need.

Stepping shafts is no longer the simple thing it used to be because manufacturers have different ways of making them. For example, I extended a set of NS Pro 950GH an inch because I found the shafts too short and didn't want to continue the struggle to adjust to those shorties. Surprise. The shafts became perceptibly softer regardless of common wisdom that extending a shaft does little or nothing to the flex. I had done this to an old X14 SW and there was no change other than greater comfort for me. The NS Pro was apparently Butt Stiff and therefore reacted differently to the extension.

You now need to determine what kind of shaft you have and how it was made before doing anything to it.

The safer and simpler way these days is to just buy the shafts you think you need and install them.

I'm after a Firm flex

Shambles

+1. I also would prefer 'straight in' where possible but if not, then hard step for me would be better than soft

I'm after a Firm flex

I'm a little bit every which way about " FIRM " as that's so fine a difference between stiff and Regular that I sometimes feel it's personal feel if at all. But then that's just my personal feel from the shafts I've played with. As a matter of fact, my current baggers range from stiff to boardy with a couple of near seniors here and there among the woods. That is about to change as I've just acquired a couple of Fourteen wedges that feel so good I'm taking my Fourteen irons out of retirement and giving them a couple of test rounds. These Fourteens are shafted soft and I may re shaft them to stiff if they prove nicer than I remember. My most recent tinkerings have been with the Fourteens rather than my favored Eye 2's because the Japanese set is more a player's iron than anything I own and I can feel changes more significantly with them. For sure, messing around with clubs is a chancy thing and sometimes results are unexpected.

I am very confident that I know nothing about your shafts so I can say nothing about how they should be adjusted to achieve the changes you want. Likewise, some of the changes I would contemplate require more time and effort than is worthwhile for clubmakers so I feel your most effective and economic alternative is really to find the shaft with the characteristics you want and just buy them and have them installed. In that manner your chances of success are greater. However, if it results in failure, you still have your original shafts to go back to.

Shambles

• 9 years later...

look like an ad for their website....  

Who dragged this old thread up?

some spammer advertiser.   I removed the thread.