EPON Zero

HULC1105

there would be a loss not as much as marketing machine would lead us to believe. distance loss from off center hit is more significant than distance gain from longer shaft.

there are plenty of people who play their 3 wood instead of driver, met a few and they always say that its because the distance for them is roughly equal on average between the two but 3 wood is more reliable. think about this for minute. people hit a smaller size, much worse COR club and get roughly the same distance and more reliable accuracy. granted that can be for variety of reasons but you give them a reasonably forgiving high COR driver head on a shorter stick similar length to their 3 wood and they just might wanna buy it.

maybe its a typo and maybe its too extreme and maybe they are not doing it but i was hoping that in addition smaller heads trend among manufacturers theres gonna be shorter shaft trend coming and not just cutting shafts to shorter length but also designing clubheads that should work better with shorter shaft length. its ridiculous that manufacturers sell longer stock drivers to general public while even tour players whos ability to hit consistently is ways higher and who play on super manicured courses with practically no real rough still prefer to play shorter length. how is that logical ?!

Ok, perhaps not against all logic, but certainly against the grain, where the trend as of late has been toward longer and longer drivers. The blurb on better energy transfer and consistency at shorter lengths is certainly true. But I think most people can make decent contact with a controlled swing, especially with how forgiving game improvement clubs are these days. It's my opinion that there would considerable distance loss decreasing your club length by 3-4 inches.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a compact deep faced head, and if the COG is really high 10.5 is probably smart in order to be able to launch the head at all. The added loft will give some extra forgivness and coupled with a (supposedly) high COG it can be a terrific driver. One thing Im slightly surprised about though is the face material..Havent we learned and been told that 6-4 ti is a budget s**t metal and only DAT 55, 56, SP700 or that special Endo Ti that I cant remember the name of right now is good enough in a super premium head? 6-4 is what all budget heads use.

6-4ti is not very expensive. But this I assume like all of Epon's clubs will be Forged Ti not cast and made in Japan. We will see what their logic is behind this.

its a typo indeed. got interested in this and turns out the actual length is pretty standard modern 45.25. oh well, somebody will get it right someday ;)

http://www.gcc-tomita.ne.jp/img/zero.jpg

http://www.gcc-tomita.ne.jp/pdf/zero123.pdf

What length is your driver?

PERFECT! It comes with the Tour AD BB7 too! Still, does it only come in 10.5? Please tell me they will do custom orders in 8.5...

I launch the hell out of the ball - way too much spin and height and I end up loosing major yardage due to my steep swing. Without being obnoxious, i'm a big athletic guy so i can swing it very quick. On those swing radar things i've been as high as 149mph. But i've heard those aren't totally accurate. I'm sure I could get in the 145 range with a long drive club, though.

Hahahah BIG "if"... it goes straight. My approach shots with wedges suck too - too handsy. Putter saves me at least. It's a tough game but oh so rewarding.

And ya, I saw that video too. The kid's unreal!

the actual length is 44.75 but I choke down on clubs quite a bit so effective length should be about 43.25-43.5 which is also where my persimmon driver actual length is. I realize that might be a bit unusual thing to do but I'm in a good company, for example Anthony Kim driver is at 44.5 but he chokes down 'about two full inches' in his own words so thats pretty much that Epon Zero typo spec right there.

What length is your driver?

the actual length is 44.75 but I choke down on clubs quite a bit so effective length should be about 43.25-43.5 which is also where my persimmon driver actual length is. I realize that might be a bit unusual thing to do but I'm in a good company, for example Anthony Kim driver is at 44.5 but he chokes down 'about two full inches' in his own words so thats pretty much that Epon Zero typo spec right there.

Why do you bother to choke down that much every shot off the tee? Why don't you just cut the shaft?

I do it with all clubs not just the driver and thats just the way I grip them so no bother. bother is actually not to do it when the club is normal length like with my persimmon for instance tho with persimmon it doesnt hurt to choke down a bit either ;)

Why do you bother to choke down that much every shot off the tee? Why don't you just cut the shaft?

I don't know if you noticed but the driver is no longer on Epon's site, Epon has not even produced the final product yet and they are slated for an April release.

Epon told me just now someone accidentally jumped the gun and posted the product page on the site.

For those who are curious, the head is of course forged and chemically milled from a high rally Ti (my guess is VL titanium as Endo has been loving the material lately but will find out for sure soon).

10.5* of real loft, a strong mid trajectory, very low spin and recommended for 105mph and faster swingers, with a stronger ribbed/variable thickness face.

This will be primarily an athlete better player model and yes 45.25" is the proper length.

As always they have real lofts with a variance usually of around 0.5* meaning you could probably get as low as 10* real loft.

Epon has stressed to me and I mean stressed... that this is a VERY VERY low spin driver (yes they used the word very twice!)

T whats the scoop on that kamui pro kp-x i have ..,

i reshafted it last night with a diamana stinger , form an attas t2 .

and it was slighttly higher ,but its still really low.

will this be comparable to the epon u think bec i think this is the lowest head ive hit so far.

Edited by supo67

• 1 month later...

What would be the results if , say you had a swing speed around 100 mph and tried this club??

What would be the results if , say you had a swing speed around 100 mph and tried this club??

your ball will not launch optimally.

i say optimally as you wont be maximizing the

original design of the driver. this is very very low

spin.

il have mine next week, il have results in after i get to

play with it.

Hmmm very nice looking!