Chronicle of custom Lajosi BM3 – Smooth & Damascus Custom

EdGolf

Thanks..... here's more pictures

Kari is moving at super speed….. at this stage he has also finish the milling of the Damascus head and the only thing left is to weld the flow neck to the head.

KLP401Damsmooth001.jpg

KLP401Damsmooth002.jpg

KLP401Damsmooth005.jpg

KLP401Damsmooth006.jpg

Kari doesn’t waste much time. Milling work have completed and looking good so far….

Now left the neck on the Smooth to be bend to my spec.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Smooth neck is now bend to my specs and all it needs now are some buffing and should be ready for a trip to the SPA.

Still need to confirm finished with Kari….

KLP401Damsmooth017.jpg

I know how much you guys love pictures, so here’s a couple more pictures of the Smooth……

KLP401Damsmooth015.jpg

KLP401Damsmooth016.jpg

KLP401Damsmooth019.jpg

KLP401Damsmooth021.jpg

KLP401Damsmooth025.jpg

Love how the neck seems to flow seamlessly with the whole putter.

It's lookin good! Was it not an option to have it milled from a single block of steel?

Hi Chris,

The bay neck for the BM3 is milled from one block of carbon steel.

Here's some pictures I borrow for the same model showing the actual milling work in progress.

BM3-Smooth005jpg_thumb.png

BM3-Smooth011jpg_thumb.png

However, the Damascus model will have a flow neck and this one will be milled separately and welded on. I think it's more to keep the cost down to have the flowneck milled separately but can't 100% confirm lol.

My Damascus (KLP01 DAM) is ready for the welder. Once back from the welder, the neck can be bend to my spec offset.

KLP401Damsmooth009.jpg

KLP401Damsmooth010.jpg

KLP401Damsmooth012.jpg

KLP401Damsmooth013.jpg

KLP401Damsmooth014.jpg

At this moment, you cannot see the Damascus pattern yet but once the acid itching is done on this baby, the Damascus pattern will start to show and it should look really good.

Yes it's indeed a cost saving measure. I agree with it, why waste all that good Damascus for just a neck.

If this putter cost 1k+ I would demand single piece though because it looks like this guy can do it.

KLP01 DAM is back from the welder and the neck bend to specs. Both putters have been buff and ready for the Spa treatment this week.

KLP401Damsmooth028.jpg

KLP401Damsmooth029.jpg

KLP401Damsmooth035.jpg

KLP401Damsmooth036.jpg

KLP401Damsmooth030.jpg

KLP401Damsmooth037.jpg

Some pictures at address position…

KLP401Damsmooth032.jpg

KLP401Damsmooth031.jpg

Edited by EdGolf

Sooo sweet! I call first dibs on the smooth face one if EVER on BST:)

Just received these quick snap shots from Kari of the finished KLP01 DAM back from the platter.

Very please with how this turn out and the wooden grains pattern are absolutely beautiful.

KLP4A-D-5.jpg

KLP4A-D-4.jpg

KLP4A-D-3.jpg

KLP4A-D-2.jpg

This is a black oxide finished and the paint fill will be gold and should look very classy once done!

BM3 Finish:

Hard to decided on the finished as Kari have so many great finishes. Shortlisted 3 top finishes for me were the Antique Silver, Silver Nickel platting or Gun Metal.

For the BM3 – Smooth, I finally decided to go with a Gun Metal finish. This is actually a Titanium nickel finish with added black chrome. Should give me a maintenance free putter for a very long time, as this finish is very durable.

Decided on chilies red for the fills, apart for the Monkey and BM3 wordings, which will be in black.

Most probably will match this with a Red Signature grip and matching head cover.

The last few days the weather in Australia was gloomy and not much chance for Kari to take some pictures outdoor but it finally clear up a bit today….

KLP401Damsmooth052.jpg

KLP401Damsmooth053.jpg

KLP401Damsmooth054.jpg

KLP401Damsmooth056.jpg

KLP401Damsmooth057.jpg

KLP401Damsmooth059.jpg

I think the red/black combo came out very well on the Gunmetal finish.

That thing is a beauty. Congrats on your sexy putter it's a work of art!

Thanks Chris - I love the clean look

KLP 4011 DAM paint fill is also ready BM3 Finish. The gold fill sure bring this putter a class above the rest…..

Now all it needs is a shaft and grip…….

KLP401Damsmooth039.jpg

KLP401Damsmooth040.jpg

KLP401Damsmooth043.jpg

KLP401Damsmooth044.jpg

KLP401Damsmooth046.jpg

KLP401Damsmooth047.jpg

KLP401Damsmooth049.jpg

KLP401Damsmooth050.jpg

KLP401Damsmooth051.jpg

Thanks Stew.... a great putter maker from down under.

Did you ever visit this man when you're back home? Some of his work are exceptional

i didnt get t enough time i was sposed to sen him my 7 rion nad i LOST the fricken thing somewhere..

so i had to order a brand new miuraism 7 iron, which is provoing to be THE most infuriating prospect ive ever encountered in golf.

i might give kari a call agn and see if he can work some magic for me ,, this one of yrs is delightful

• 4 months later...

hows this going .. esp the flat faced non milled one Ed?

Firstly the Damascus KLP 401 - this one have a light mill face and the rolls the ball extremely well. The sound off the damascus face is slightly clickly (which I like). I would describe the feel is softer than a copper face putter but slightly clickier than say a Bettinardi Honeycomb face. The sound is similar to a TP Mills handmade I've with light face milling.

At address this putter is absolutely beautiful and gives me a lot of confident to make everything within 10feet in. For the Damascus, Kari uses Gripmaster new 2012 exotic black Tejus Lizard. Very unique and special. The feel of this grip is very nice and it just spell out quality.

The KLP401 DAM also comes with a unique shaft band – and YES, it’s Damascus as well….. In addition, also have a matching Damascus ball marker and divot tool....classy

Now for a quick review on the BM3 - Smooth - Went with Gripmaster Black Signature Tour Roo for the Smooth. Initially wanted a medium Red Signature Tour Roo grip for the smooth but sadly out of stock so settle with black instead as the other remaining option in stock are Blue and Burn Orange. However this putter arrived with some issues on the Gun Metal finish. Sadly finish is the only area where Kari have no control over but Kari was quick to offer to have this putter refinish so back to Down Under it went.

Took about 10 days before the putter was refinished and at the same time Kari specially order a medium size Red Signature Tour Roo grip for me and replace it accordingly. I must say to this point Kari's customer service is second to none and I'm impress at Kari determination to make his customer happy !!

Anyway back to the putter review; this putter have a deeper face milling of the lizard and the feel off the face is very soft. The sound is almost muted and initially I was having difficulty to gauge distance control but after a few carpet rolls, I got use to it quickly. For those who likes a softer feel off the face, I would strongly recommended this deep face lizard milling or Kari's deep face milling. I would say this face milling is the softest I've ever putted on any putter. It's even softer than a Bettinardi F.I.T (which IMO is one of the softest feeling 'non-insert' putters out there already)

The ball rolls very well and at address it frames the ball well. The head is slightly larger than my KLP 401 and does gives you more confident that it's easier to stroke. The medium size Red Signature Tour Roo grip is very soft (almost sponge like) and feels great in my palms.

Game both the couple of weeks and so far both rolls very well. So far my favorite is still the KPLP401 as I always likes a smaller head at address and the light face milling gives me a very audible sound on the greens. If I were to get another Lajosi putter, I would make the same design KLP401 but with a longer flow neck.

Kari's work is in the $350 to $450AU price range Stew. I just got one of his that I love!

Beats a Scotty circle T hands down

Pete

+1 on Kari work.....best part is he is getting better and better each time I see his newer models. There is nothing this guy can't do !!

• 2 months later...

Wow. That's about as stunning a putter can be. Congratulations.

Thanks Jay. This guy does some amazing work.

Did I read correctly, they go for 350/450? Or is that something else?