Expensive accident. Snapped my stinger!!!!

Spoon

so i have been gaming this stinger since i purchased it from pete the pilot around christmas time.

has been my trusted gamer since then. i kid you not nothing comes close to this Yamaha old skool

405d and this sst pured stinger.

so me vince and pete have a round in the wack-wack's east course. brought two drivers one 435II

and this stinger. i opt to use it on number 2. nice high drive that leaks right. ok thats playable. place

the club down as im waiting for Pete to hit his drive. here a crunch. mind you i did not put any weight

on top of the shaft. just my hand. was not pressing down. C-R-U-N-C-H. nooooooo!!! scared to look

down. damn it that was a costly accident and the end of my stinger swinging days.

i take care of my clubs, this was a pampered beauty, eyes always on this club, my prized possession

pained me to have to play a round without her. oh well. luckily i have a backup thats been tipped .75" by

some tour player in the states. i used this briefly in a TP Superfast. was wondering why it was so much stiffer

and Cpms were of by 10-15. aha suckers been tipped .75

oh well some lucky head will be mated with a snapped stinger. snapped at .5" i think i can tip trip another .25

and shel be in good condition. perfect for a 3w or a 5! oh well. i should be careful what i wish for been placing

WTB ads in the many forums for a stinger pull for a fw. no luck. guess a snapped one solves that bit.

ahhhhhhhhh!!!!

stinger2.jpg

stinger.jpg

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Very sorry for you Spoon - feel your pain. Are you having a burial for the tip?

Not good!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I feel so sorry for you and literally feel your pain!

I once hit my driver in anger - the sort of gesture noone wants to see - on the ground and immediately looked down if everything was still ok. Wasn't a hard knowdown on the tee but still frightened the sh**s out of me. That was the first and only time I forgot myself for a millisecond.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......

YES very very painful. the tip will ground and drilled and the remaining

boron fibers and dust will be collected and spread around my home course.

seems like the decent thing to do.

i dont recall any incident of banging this club. in fact i am so OC and make sure

only my trusted trained builder gets to touch this club. hasnt been touched since

assembled. i can only speculate what caused this. never hit this puppy in a range

mat. never leaned on it. never hurled or bashed it in anger. always placed in a safe

position in the boot of the car etc etc.

oh well she would make an awesome 3 wood shaft. my backup stinger is playing at .75 tipped

i can handle it so this one would be the same tipped .75 to straighten out the fibers. i have some

akira prototype tour heads coming and this would be my next experiment. makes no sense touching

my yamaha V tour 14* w 9003s!

i wish it was the crazy shaft that snapped!

Sorry to hear that. Odd that it would snap like that?

OT - I've play in Wack Wack on my golfing trip to Phillipines and it's just a wonderful course.

OT - I've play in Wack Wack on my golfing trip to Phillipines and it's just a wonderful course.

i suspect that it could be my swing as of late. been more upright and steeper angle of attack.

then again i doubt if it could have snapped because of that. i also snapped some quattrotechs

last year but those were like sloppy pulls from the wrx.

wackwack east was brutal with the 104f temp! was so humid as well

That's the kind of damage inflicted by people who don't know how to swing a golf club, something like a new guy. Spoon does not fit that description so I think someone got hold of that club and gave it a try somewhere. More likely a range, and very likely the guy had time a plenty for a number of swings and still cleaned the club up after. I would look for marks on the hosel.

Shambles

That's the kind of damage inflicted by people who don't know how to swing a golf club, something like a new guy. Spoon does not fit that description so I think someone got hold of that club and gave it a try somewhere. More likely a range, and very likely the guy had time a plenty for a number of swings and still cleaned the club up after. I would look for marks on the hosel.

Shambles

this club never leaves my sight. i have never lent this to anyone. its in my main bag, my main gamer.

and have never used this on a range with a plastic matt. only outdoors with real turf. had a few good

hits with it on the grass range prior to our round.

#1 good hit. #2 pete awesome hit( hit a high ball which he swears is not his flight) then i hit , very high ball

as well, put the club down head down, placed my hand on top of the grip like most of us do(no weight at all)

crunch!

could it be the heat? then again i hardly leave my clubs in the boot of the car in the crazy 100f + heat

It most definitely could be the heat. Stole this from an engineer on WRX site:

"the carbon fiber in graphite shafts are not going to fail during normal human use. the most likely cause of failure is exposure to UV causing the epoxy/ resin matrix (ie the glue that holds all the cabon fibers together) to break down. for most epoxies, about 1000hrs (@4hrs a round, thats 250 rounds) will weaken the material by 30%, so thats why shaft manufacturers paint the golf shafts and will last a lot longer since the paint will absorb most of the UV. so dont leave shafts out in the sun and touch up areas of exposed epoxy."

It most definitely could be the heat. Stole this from an engineer on WRX site:

"the carbon fiber in graphite shafts are not going to fail during normal human use. the most likely cause of failure is exposure to UV causing the epoxy/ resin matrix (ie the glue that holds all the cabon fibers together) to break down. for most epoxies, about 1000hrs (@4hrs a round, thats 250 rounds) will weaken the material by 30%, so thats why shaft manufacturers paint the golf shafts and will last a lot longer since the paint will absorb most of the UV. so dont leave shafts out in the sun and touch up areas of exposed epoxy."

been playing in over 100f in the last few weeks.

our main rounds 2x a week are at the peak of the days

temps averaging 95f.

BUT most of the time the driver is in the bag and the headcover

protects that part of the club. i guess down the line the cuprit could

be the degradation of tip strength down the line as its been pulled

at least 4x, at least 2x in japan one in Oz and one by me. all done

by competent club builders using the utmost care. i guess even so

as the number of times the club is pulled there will be some form

of weakening even at at small percentages. they add up though:(

this club never leaves my sight. i have never lent this to anyone. its in my main bag, my main gamer.

and have never used this on a range with a plastic matt. only outdoors with real turf. had a few good

hits with it on the grass range prior to our round.

#1 good hit. #2 pete awesome hit( hit a high ball which he swears is not his flight) then i hit , very high ball

as well, put the club down head down, placed my hand on top of the grip like most of us do(no weight at all)

crunch!

could it be the heat? then again i hardly leave my clubs in the boot of the car in the crazy 100f + heat

That's the kind of care I expect of you.

I don't believe the heat. The only time heat was a factor was way back when Glass shafts were truly fiberglass but these days when shafts are graphite, heat in the boot becomes ignorable except for the grips.

Since the shaft has been owned a number of times I'm now inclined to believe you were simply unlucky and some owner along the way weakened the shaft with some bad swings and there had to be a lot to damage any shaft made these days. Either that or you just had the bad luck to get a factory defect of the type that cannot be seen via inspection. Just bad luck.

I agree the shaft can probably still be used as a three wood or a 5 wood. The 5 wood strikes me as a more true to spec option considering the amount of tip lost in the break.

Shambles

I don't believe the heat. The only time heat was a factor was way back when Glass shafts were truly fiberglass but these days when shafts are graphite, heat in the boot becomes ignorable except for the grips.

Since the shaft has been owned a number of times I'm now inclined to believe you were simply unlucky and some owner along the way weakened the shaft with some bad swings and there had to be a lot to damage any shaft made these days. Either that or you just had the bad luck to get a factory defect of the type that cannot be seen via inspection. Just bad luck.

I agree the shaft can probably still be used as a three wood or a 5 wood. The 5 wood strikes me as a more true to spec option considering the amount of tip lost in the break.

Shambles

thanks. shaft is 100% boron. dont know if thats a factor.

all previous owners are accounted for and have taken care of the shaft.

i can vouge for them.

where and how its snapped its either from excessive heating when pulling or that shaft had manufacturing defects the later is unlikely tho with a shaft like that. you would never know for sure unless you decide to send it for post mortal someplace with expertize eg manufacturer but from the looks of it i'd bet its excessive heating realted. with how often folks here change shaft/head combos you'd be far better off with weaker epoxy that breaks at lower temps. there is no way you could have done it with your swing unless you were doing something really extreme in terms of forces applied to shaft and head.

Since the shaft has been owned a number of times I'm now inclined to believe you were simply unlucky and some owner along the way weakened the shaft with some bad swings and there had to be a lot to damage any shaft made these days. Either that or you just had the bad luck to get a factory defect of the type that cannot be seen via inspection. Just bad luck. I agree the shaft can probably still be used as a three wood or a 5 wood. The 5 wood strikes me as a more true to spec option considering the amount of tip lost in the break.

Shambles

Very hard to do this sort of thing as a result of bad swings...unless of course the guy consistently hit the hosel!!

Very hard to do this sort of thing as a result of bad swings...unless of course the guy consistently hit the hosel!!

Not as hard as one would expect. A relative broke three of my Drivers trying to learn to Golf. All breaks were pretty much at the same place as Spoon's and he broke them because he was a strong guy who didn't have sense enough to hire a teaching pro. It took him a lot of bad swings to break them. I saved the head of one and rebuilt the others as gifts to children of proud papas who wanted their sons to learn to golf.

An argument with a tree branch or a root normally breaks higher not far from where a bad temper will also break a shaft, or a bad caddy who jams the club into the bag. I'm pretty sure shafts break at the hosel mostly from bad preps and bad installations or bad swings, none of which belong to Spoon so I have to blame a manufacturing defect that escaped inspection. I can't even blame repeated pulls because done properly, only the epoxy, even the type used by Ping, will be affected. These breaks I have seen and a couple I was witness to the act. I am certain todays shafts are more durable and closer to standards than the shafts of my youth, and I am still using some shafts of my youth. They made pretty good shafts back then even if todays shafts are better made.

Life happens, Spoon was unlucky and we have a mystery to think upon until such time as a possible answer arises.

Shambles

oh well. im not touching my back up stinger. i will just use this snapped one, tip it .25 which would make total

tip trimming 1" which is about the same as my backup 1" tip trimmed stinger from a tour pro. no harm here.

will just put a butt extender and mate her with the most forgiving head i own Epon EMS proto 10.5.

lets see if there is still some life in her.

oh well. im not touching my back up stinger. i will just use this snapped one, tip it .25 which would make total

tip trimming 1" which is about the same as my backup 1" tip trimmed stinger from a tour pro. no harm here.

will just put a butt extender and mate her with the most forgiving head i own Epon EMS proto 10.5.

lets see if there is still some life in her.

The extension: Does an extension affect the performance of a shaft much? Is it miniscule or should it be avoided? I mean, if you use a graphite extension at the grip end.

The extension: Does an extension affect the performance of a shaft much? Is it miniscule or should it be avoided? I mean, if you use a graphite extension at the grip end.

I guess an inch won't hurt. Don't expect to extend by 2-3 inches..

1 inch is still within part of your left hand grip for a righty

when the shaft is made they use some sort of epoxy to keep it together and it would weaken and eventually become more fragile eventually after repeated reheating. obviously the lower that reheating temp is the less damage is done but there will be damage when heat is applied. manufacturers dont design them to be constantly reheated at temps that break epoxies. they do design them to withstand the forces involved when the club is swung. an idiot can break anything and i would know ;) broke a few shafts, steel included but none of those where results of normal swing conditions eg steel shaft hitting tree after impact. i know what i'm saying isnt popular with shaft pulling crowd and i know lots of people do many pulls and installs without any apparent side effects whatsoever but that largely depends on shaft construction, epoxies and temperatures used. this is the reason i personally would not buy a pull for any serious money and i dont care if it was done by a tour van pro who spent all night with a hairdryer pulling that shaft.

An argument with a tree branch or a root normally breaks higher not far from where a bad temper will also break a shaft, or a bad caddy who jams the club into the bag. I'm pretty sure shafts break at the hosel mostly from bad preps and bad installations or bad swings, none of which belong to Spoon so I have to blame a manufacturing defect that escaped inspection. I can't even blame repeated pulls because done properly, only the epoxy, even the type used by Ping, will be affected. These breaks I have seen and a couple I was witness to the act. I am certain todays shafts are more durable and closer to standards than the shafts of my youth, and I am still using some shafts of my youth. They made pretty good shafts back then even if todays shafts are better made.

and as luck has it i found another stinger 7x fitted on a nike

tour 420cc. odd though as it plays only 44" assembled.

may have to add a but extender !!

debating between diamana X, BB7s, for my main driver

put that in a 3 wood NOW......!!!!!!!!

diamana x is just gettigng better and better

graphite design bb is super, gamed tthat yesterday at longy . 70 x terrific shaft.

the stinger in a fairway wood is unbelievably BETTER than it is in a driver.

u want a new boron, i thoroughyl recommend tha crazy boron, that thing is great. especially in a 101 head.