Quadra 4AX SOF 100i stiff flex graphite iron shaft review

Ian-500

I recently bought a set of Yamaha Inpres X V forged tour model 2011 irons, and these came shafted with Quadra graphite shafts. Here is my review of the shafts:

From the outset they look great. I like the way the colour changes from red at the butt in to black half way along the shaft. You can also see the carbon/graphite weave at this point. I don't think that they feel heavier or lighter than previous shafts I've played (TT Black Gold, DG S200, graphite Wilson Fatshafts), but a friend of mine said that they were definitely heavier than his Callaway Big Bertha irons with Callaway steel shafts, and those irons are like shovels!

I was worried that these shafts would be too soft and flexible, but after gaming them for 3 rounds I actually think they feel stiffer than the Black Golds I've used. As described in the Pro Shop, they are very very stable and very accurate. This could be because they've been spine aligned or purely down to how good the shaft is. I think the usual soft feel from the Endo forged heads are enhanced even more with these Quadras, for example; on Monday I played 18 holes. On the 16th hole, par 5, I had 192yds to the front of the green after a great tee shot. I put a 5 iron shot over a bunker to the centre of the green. No more than 10yds of roll. Looking back now I actually think I didn't feel the club head hit the ball, so pure was the shot and so shock absorbing are the shafts.

I've noticed 2 things that I need to get used to. 

1) I now hit the ball higher. The 5 iron shot described above was high, but PW's 9's 8's seem to hang in the air forever.

2) a consequence of the high ball flight is longer carry. I'm now hitting my PW 140yds, 7i is about 160yds - 165yds.

A bit of info about myself, I'm 6ft tall and weigh 12st 8lb. I play off 16hcp, but this is because I don't play enough. I'm a fit 39 year old guy with no ailments/injuries. 

So there you go, the shafts look great, feel great and play great. Hope this helps anyone's decision to buy or not to buy. I would certainly recommend them to anyone.

Thanks for looking,

Ian.

I'm definitely a fan. When I eventually get a driver I'd like to try out a fex. What's the ball flight like for your swing?

Med high, super easy to swing. IMO one of the best feeling shaft. Just butter. I have the fex in 102 and Ryoma v spec Ryoma feels much softer like persimmon with flatter trajectory.

I have the FEX Proto 75s in Ryoma Vspec 10.5 - feels fluid, tight and loooong withought being a ballbreaker - ball gets up fast and cuts through the air, then hits the ground running. Just enough give in the shaft that I can still get a little bit of shape in my drives (hint - go with a slightly softer shaft in your Ryoma - this head just throws straight knuckleballs!).

Once you spend some time with these high modulus shafts you can see where your money goes! Played yesterday off the black tees on my home course and ball was finishing further than where I normally hit to off the blues (+10-15-20m), although winter here now and more run too.....

Random shaft piccies

post-15035-0-85828700-1337727881.jpg

post-15035-0-80504200-1337727982.jpg

post-15035-0-39874600-1337728022.jpg

Not just a Ryoma but a Ryoma Premia with the FE is a marriage made in heaven, soft and fluid at the same time.

• 1 month later...

About a month ago, I bought this sets of irons from Ian when he put it on BST. I was lucky enough to be the 1st person to pm him saying i will buying the whole set-: 3-pw + 52*+58* with the quadra 4AX SOF 100i shafts. So after 2 rounds of playing this set of irons + wedges, I found that these quadra iron shsfts are not soft at all compare to steels. I think they actually feel a bit stiffer than the modus 3 in stiff flex. They are like what Ian said- very stable and accurate! I hit them side by side with my epon Af tour with shimada Ks' tour in stiff flex, from 160+ meters away from green, back pin, I used af tour 7 iron, landed in the middle of the green, then I pulled out the 9 iron from this Yamaha/quadra set, it landed about a foot behind ( left side of the 1st ball mark, baby draw)the af tour 7 iron! And it roll about 15 feet and stop (There are only 2 ball marks and I was the 1st person to play that hole), So I gain 2 clubs when I use these Yamaha /quadra combo! I know the lofts are week in af tour but 2 clubs? That is scary! Could it be shaft weights + lofts = lots of distance gaIn? The feel of the head shafts combo is probably the best feels I ever hit!

Jeez Kokkee, you're hitting the 9 iron 175yds! Glad you like the irons. They look and feel fantastic. Happy golfing

Jeez Kokkee, you're hitting the 9 iron 175yds! Glad you like the irons. They look and feel fantastic. Happy golfing

I'm thinking because of the weight differences of the shaft (steel vs graphite) + lofts? I am still in shock! Ian, did you gain any distance when you play this set?

I did gain distance, but only 1 club length. 9 iron went from 140 ish to 150 ish

• 4 months later...

So how are you playing these shafts now?

I regret selling them :(

I have been eying them for so long. Also the DGL115s. They have a new one also. But I have been unable to find any real life info on them. Tell me more. What do you love about them? Not liked? Comparison to others you have liked?

If comparing to any steel shafts, these are best feeling shafts I have ever play! TT DGS300, modus3, shimada tour, Nippon 1150, c taper, matrix program 130. The only thing I don't lie about the shaft is might be a little light and on the soft side BUT that kind of help my game.... Coz I tend to swing too hard sometimes! Thanks Ian for the deal!!

Is this shaft has that soft and muted feel or somewhat lively? Do you think this shaft is able to deliver enough forgiveness and decent accuracy. The C-Taper launch a little bit low for me, so I'm curious what would be the expected launch angle of this shaft.

I would like to switch to graphite myself too, the Aerotech i95 is available now for me to start with and hopefully this will be installed on the Miura baby blades this week.

Edited by gian11

• 3 months later...
About a month ago, I bought this sets of irons from Ian when he put it on BST. I was lucky enough to be the 1st person to pm him saying i will buying the whole set-: 3-pw + 52*+58* with the quadra 4AX SOF 100i shafts. So after 2 rounds of playing this set of irons + wedges, I found that these quadra iron shsfts are not soft at all compare to steels. I think they actually feel a bit stiffer than the modus 3 in stiff flex. They are like what Ian said- very stable and accurate! I hit them side by side with my epon Af tour with shimada Ks' tour in stiff flex, from 160+ meters away from green, back pin, I used af tour 7 iron, landed in the middle of the green, then I pulled out the 9 iron from this Yamaha/quadra set, it landed about a foot behind ( left side of the 1st ball mark, baby draw)the af tour 7 iron! And it roll about 15 feet and stop (There are only 2 ball marks and I was the 1st person to play that hole), So I gain 2 clubs when I use these Yamaha /quadra combo! I know the lofts are week in af tour but 2 clubs? That is scary! Could it be shaft weights + lofts = lots of distance gaIn? The feel of the head shafts combo is probably the best feels I ever hit!

Hi,

Your 9I rolls 15 feet? Is that good for a 9I? Where maybe drop and stop action is preferred? Did you top it?

im considering this one. any info from actual players?

Fire Express PROTO TYPE DGL-115S

Tae had them. I recall he said pretty stout and not that easy to launch. Check with him.

I'd like to try out the Quadra 100i in Pro X. Might give me a lower ball flight like my Roddio i-10 but with better feel. Would also like to try Crazy CBI 80 limited. Bet they're nice. I need to ask Chris as I think he's tried both the Roddio and Crazy.

• 6 years later...

So after all this time I'm finally getting a set of the Quadra 100i Pro X shafts. When I have them I'll post my thoughts. This will be 3rd time I've gamed the 100i. Had it in stiff,  stiff tipped 1/2" and now the Pro X. Can't wait.