New Ryoma Special Tuning Driver

Craig

My new Ryoma arrived yesterday and I have given it a pretty solid workout.

9.5^ with Crazy Royal Dec

I think the king of Drivers distance wise is the Crazy 435 and I have 2 of them.

What better test for the new Ryoma than to test it against the big boys head to head.

So far for me there is no Driver which comes close to the 435 distance wise. Accuracy well that's another question. The 435 is made for much better players than me, but that does not stop me dreaming that one day.......

The new Ryoma is long. Certainly much longer than the original and maybe yes 20- 30 yards longer while still almost as forgiving.

So far I would say it is possibly as long as the 435. I think it would be a toss up. Certainly it is longer than any other setup that I have except of course the 435.

It plays similar to the original just goes further. Really surprising in that the ball does not look or feel smashed but it is a long way down the fairway

The only disappointment so far is that I don't like the feel of it. I have never hit a brick on the end of a graphite shaft before but I imagine this is what it would feel like.

Very interested in other users think the same feel wise.

Next test will be the Epon zero with a Crazy Boron

Initial impressions for me is very positive.

Edited by Craig

are you talking about the RYoma Special Tuning craig?

Yes

Sorry guys the Ryoma special tuning driver

If someone can amend the title for me it would be great

Hi Craig

May I ask what shaft did u pair with the special tuning? : )

9.5 ^ with Crazy Royal Decoration S flex

Sounds like a big hitting combo!?

hmmmmmm seems you tried the non special tuning ones as well. do they have the same feel and sound?? I used to own a V-spec and i want to know how much of a difference are they.

"A brick at the end of a shaft" doesn't sound very pleasing. I order the same spec but my is 10.5 loft and sx. How do u like the shaft Craig?

I wonder what your playing partners would say if you use Special Tuning to take their beer and chips?

Craig, its interesting your comment on the feel.

I have tested the Special Tuning head to head vs the conforming models and I think the Special Tuning feels better.

Nice pop and but that soft but crisp feel off the face.

It can only feel this way since its probably got a thinner face than any other driver.

Distance wise its about 20y longer than my conforming Ryoma but it does launch higher.

I find it more forgiving. I hit shots off the heel and low on the face that traveled as far as my conforming Ryoma.

And even those miss hits felt good, I thought I hit center.

I wonder what your playing partners would say if you use Special Tuning to take their beer and chips?

What if all of them have been taking my beer and chips for so loong with their non conform driver? : )

Compared the Ryoma ST / Crazy LY Nero to Kamui 456 / Crazy LY Nero:

The Crazy LY Nero is a better fit for the Kamui 456 head. At the moment the Ryoma ST is not longer than the Kamui 456 with the same Crazy LY Nero shaft.

The original Crazy Longest Yard works much better in the Ryoma ST.

Waiting for the Crazy RD SR....

20 yards longer and more forgiving with great feel, sounds like a absolute winner.....if this driver was conforming, you could double or triple the price and it would still be sold out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay this is my review after my first outing with my new Ryoma 10.5 RD rs.

First is this the most expensive setup I've ever doughed out for. So I was expecting something extra.

In the moring I went to the range to hit a bucket. My ball flight was low and lots of roll. I decided to try it on the course hat afternoon. Played 18 on my home course so I know it well and know where I usually end up for shots after the initial tee shot.

This is where I got the biggest surpise. Using my regular low compression ball (Bridgestone 6 and 330 rx) I felt the pop and I could fell the compression off the face. My ball flight was now mid to mid plus. It was very windy but ball cut throug nicely. My drives were at least 20-30 yards closer to the green (on par 4s). So instead of hitting long irons or 5 wood ( I only hit my old driver 220 average) to the green, I was was hitting 6 and 7 irons and some less than that. I hit 10 of 13 fairways. The three I misses were my regular pull hook but only one was in the trees. All flew out longer then I usually do. I was able to draw, fade at will. I was amazed. Today was my lowest score at my home course.

Like I said in another post, The driver length is my weakness. I feel good about my irons expecially my mid to wedge. So this extra distance allows me to use my mid irons.

I wish it was legal then I can use it all the time. How much shorter is the regular Ryoma to this. Might consider getting one with the exact same set up just to use in legal play. First need more $$.

Edited by shintajay

Been giving this driver a solid workout since my initial post.

Second impressions are even better than my initial ones.

This is a seriously long driver. Much much longer than it's conforming predecessor and probably as long as the Crazy 435 maybe even longer.

Higher launching than the original with both more carry and run.

It is also as forgiving.

I still don't like the feel of it but my brick comment may have been a tad harsh. Maybe a small soft brick.

As far as shafts go I love the Royal Dec shaft but think that maybe for me a different shaft in thisnhead may work better for me. My playing partner actually made this comment and I think he may be right.

Will keep at it though for the moment as it is so long I am hesitant to change.

Against the original I would say it is at the very least 1 club longer and probably 2 clubs longer.

Am going to pit it against the original with Royal Dec shaft and get more accurate numbers for those thinking of trying it.

C, the RoyDeco is a superb distance shaft but it really does fit a specific type of swing. If you have been working on your swing which I think you have and you find the roydeco is not giving you the dispersion you want, a different more balanced shaft may be better as the Roydeco is a pure distance shaft.

Oh schuks fellas look whis just shown up at my driving range......

The ryoma van full of drivers and fws

looks like ill be able to have a voice on the specail tuning driver in20 mins

schweeet rider!

Ryoma van!!!

Oh schuks fellas look whis just shown up at my driving range......

The ryoma van full of drivers and fws

looks like ill be able to have a voice on the specail tuning driver in20 mins

schweeet rider!

there's a ryoma van??? i'm in the wrong country!!!

well they set up in bay 50 of 300

they had about 30 differnt shafted drivers but the stiffest i could get my mits on was a vspec 9.5 GD bb7s

oh if ur fthinking of changing shafts to something.,

u might wanna consider this they work brilliantly.

hit a few to get tuned in, and was very happy with results but old mate, damn ive forgotten his name agn lets call him ryoma -san

said the shaft was too sloppy for me , the miss hits were balooning high and right, good ones when i slowed down i was peeling of beautiful draws but when i stepped it up ddint handle it. said i had to play this shaft in x flex, i reckon hes spot on

so...........................

the mighty special tuning regular joe GD ev sahft in it at 6s

terribly NOT my shaft i assure u, but i hit some slow shots and it s not too bad its juts way too high

20 yards huh ???

yea i d think no probs there at all

im stupified really

those that held thier nerve and didnt bail out will have THE LONGEST DRIVER on the market

for swings under 45 m/ps

get this..............,

rRyoma san..,................,wouldnt sell me one, said id break it .

i almost fell over laughing

no joke tho he wouldnt let me have one

these things are paper thin to the extent that if ur not slower than 45 uaint getting one form ryoma -kun

seriously i was as shocked at hitting this one as i was when i first discovered the v spec/ stinger from nakajima san 18 odd months ago.

craig reckons its like hitting a brick with eyes.. i kinda gotta agree its dull but dull= huge

il take dull al lday with this thing

if i was allowed!

those that have this driver. im NOT playing u for money!

45 mps ? Does this equal 100mph? T told me that the limit was 105mph lol

I think my blood pressure is increasing while reading this! 100mph!

Craig

So, the longest you have tried among the conform drivers is the original 435? And not the 435II?