Tourstage Drivers - where's the love?

corky3

A few years back TS Drivers were the talk of many a forum, but lately there seems to be a lack of buzz. anywhere....

The new 707 adjustable driver has barely managed a mention and not much in the way of reviews(that i am aware of....) ihas everyone just moved on? (Crazy, J Beam, Ryoma etc.). Is this also true in Japan?

Thoughts?

My guess is that TS is just as popular in Japan and other asian markets, but maybe the more fanatic side of the golf community (yes, like us) that is active in various forums have "moved on" so to speak to even more "exotic" brands like the ones you mentioned. But, my guess is that even in Japan the average avid golfer don't know what a Ryoma, crazy or JBeam is. I somehow doubt you will find every other bag full of Crazy or Ryoma clubs even in Japan. Brands like TS, Yamaha, XXIO and the other US OEM's will be dominating for sure. Even Honma is probably a lot more common in the bags over in Japan than the brands we think of as "in" brands. And I think TS sells just as well among the "normal" golfers like they did before. I might be wrong though, and Yururi irons, Jbeam drivers and and Ryoma FW is the norm, but I doubt it.

playing a p02-6 here, have always gamed a tourstage driver all the way back to the x500! they may not be the longest, but I love there more athlete geared drivers the 901, etc.

me too, hence the thread.... I go back to an MR23 non conforming...... current,y gaming a 705 415, ...

the only thing stopping me buying a 707 is that its 460 and it seems to me its a 705 with adjustable weights and face, im not really interested in adjustability....

Corky....Always like Tourstage and I tend to stick with what I like. Purchased the 705 type 455 last year with Diamana ahina 60 S shaft. Shaft keeps the ball on a much lower trajectory for me and when hit pure, there is nothing like Tourstage.

You do raise an interesting point as I have noticed a lot of members have "moved on" to more boutique brands. Does that mean the name brands that we all know and like (Yamaha, On-Off, Mizuno, JPX) are out? I dont think so. They appeal to the mass markets and nothing wrong with that. I tend to purchase items that I know and like. However, I am always curious about the exotics and love the forums that discuss these unique brands.

I'm actually tempted to pick up an X-drive 460, the older model with that Superdeep face (long before TM too). I find them now and then in Bangkok and usually for not much coin. Just for the fun of it, and fit it with a heavy short shaft. We'll see

My guess is that TS is just as popular in Japan and other asian markets, but maybe the more fanatic side of the golf community (yes, like us) that is active in various forums have "moved on" so to speak to even more "exotic" brands like the ones you mentioned. But, my guess is that even in Japan the average avid golfer don't know what a Ryoma, crazy or JBeam is. I somehow doubt you will find every other bag full of Crazy or Ryoma clubs even in Japan. Brands like TS, Yamaha, XXIO and the other US OEM's will be dominating for sure. Even Honma is probably a lot more common in the bags over in Japan than the brands we think of as "in" brands. And I think TS sells just as well among the "normal" golfers like they did before. I might be wrong though, and Yururi irons, Jbeam drivers and and Ryoma FW is the norm, but I doubt it.

i agree with your thoughts

and ur right bags are not stakced full of "our" clubs..

TM is still the biggest seller in jp the amount of exotic bags i see is mimimal

XXIO is prob the largest seller for jonnie chopchops, they keep thier value better than EVERYTHING.

TS is huge here.

its my guess.... TM TS ANd XXIO prob get the lions share of the whole market.

but as for drivers..............................

dont shoot me here....

i dont htink they do a good enough job.

they dont differentiate to others, and the designs on them apart for mthe p51 ai chan model form 08i think it was are just kinda dull, or too garish to look at.

yes ive played a ton of them, but thye didnt really do anything.

and esp for the guys on here, they dont offer an X factor that were all looking for.

they are my thoughts and observations living here.

• 2 months later...

I still have my 5-6 year old TS X-Drive 460. The scary thing is that this is the hottest head I have ever had in my bag. I still have MP Craft 460 and MP600. If I want 300+ yards, I take my XD 460 out! Now I want to find a few more spare heads.

I'm actually tempted to pick up an X-drive 460, the older model with that Superdeep face (long before TM too). I find them now and then in Bangkok and usually for not much coin. Just for the fun of it, and fit it with a heavy short shaft. We'll see

• 2 weeks later...

I love the sound and complete feeling I get at impact. I'm also a big fan of the pear shape.

If your looking for distance and ease of use, I'd stay away from the X series. Viq and GR are the way to go.

X series is for players who want to work the ball and have 105+ swing speed.

I'd actually continue playing ts, especially now that they're adjustable. Just waiting for someone to sale head only.

Edited by IshikawaFAN

I love my ViQ. Its the hottest-faced driver Ive ever hit, yet still very forgiving.

My personal opinion is that Japanese brands lack the marketing like other major American brands. Japanese forged irons get around mostly by word of mouth, but hardly so for drivers, fairway woods and hybrids.

It doesnt help either that most of the Japanese drivers have been banned by the USGA because the COR is too high.

Any talk of a 9 series or 440cc adjustable driver? (gocchin?)

Although now that onoff added MWT, it's a must try. Can someone give a quick comparison between tourstage and onoff drivers?

Edited by IshikawaFAN

Yes would love to hear anyone's thoughts on the Onoff adjustable vs the Tourstage.