Differences between the RomaRO wedges

RIduffer

With 4 distinct 2012 wedge models, what are the playing characteristics of them and how do they differ? Also any comparison to the PRGR LED?

TIA,

RIDuffer

Differences include, shape, grind. and even materials.

The two new wedges the SX and Alcobaca are amazing.

I had a chance to check them out a few months ago and they are beauties.

The SX is a tad rounder and is S20C. It has the groove in the sole which is very nice for versatility .

The Alcobaca is a bit more of a teardrop and is also S20C. Its sole is a multi level sole and what they call a double arch sole.

The SX is probably the more all around wide variety of player wedge while the Alcobaca is the wedge players want to open up and try all kinds of more difficult shots like flop shots, lobs etc thanks to the sole design.

The VX and W are older models actually and were out last year.

The W is one of Romaro's older designs and is a more classic no frills kind of shape whole the VX really compliments the Ray v Forged irons with the similar sole and shape and size.

If you are looking at a new Romaro now its certainly the SX or Alcobaca.

I am about to build a SX in 50 56 and an Alcobaca in 60.

• 2 months later...

I was thinking about the same set up but I like the Titleist to I'm looking for a set what I can play in soft condition in the winter and hard tie lie in the summer.(or ATV)

The Epon 210 I play now are very good all ready I like the wider sole

Any advise?

I was thinking about the same set up but I like the Titleist to I'm looking for a set what I can play in soft condition in the winter and hard tie lie in the summer.(or ATV)

The Epon 210 I play now are very good all ready I like the wider sole

Any advise?

I love those Epon 210s... But I must say I like the versatility of the Vokeys. They are very soft and great in the cold conditions, especially when you're looking for extra feel. The Romaro Alcobaca and SX wedges are also great, and spin very well, but to me it doesn't feel as soft as the Vokeys. Either way the wider sole on these will definitely allow you to to be more creative around the greens. The Epon 210's are wonderful off tight lies, but I feel they let you down a bit in deeper rough or bunkers.

Thanks,

I love the 210 from the bunkers and the deeper rough and from the tight lies to just looking for more feel and just a little less bounce from tight lies because some times I just want to slide more under the ball.

What would be a great shaft to with the Titleist

I play the Yamaha Tour with NP 1050 I was thinking the NP wedge or should I stick with the stock NP 950.

I'm not a big fan of the Epon 210's especially off of tight lies but they do pretty well in the bunkers with their wider sole and higher bounce.

The JDM ATV's are actually even better out of the bunker. I've never had an easier bunker club than the ATV 64* although its almost useless from anywhere else.... for me.

I REALLY LIKE the JDM Vokeys and the Romaro wedges.

I think I like the Romaro SX wedge because to my eye they setup similar to the Vokey's.

If you have the chance and it's not sold out Crazy Toyoshima wedges are solid as well.

• 5 months later...

How's the leading edge on the SX and VX models? I'm thinking of a 48 bent to 46 to replace the stock H PW but am concerned that if the leading edge is already sharp, bending it 2* strong may not be a good idea. I have no issue with a 5* bounce from the stock 7* after bending.

Been so long sinc I've hit or looked at them, but I don't recall them being overly sharp. You should be fine bending it.

I saw some Alcobaca's yesterday, my conclusion sweet.

Been so long sinc I've hit or looked at them, but I don't recall them being overly sharp. You should be fine bending it.

Thanks for chiming in. Against the H irons, do the wedges really feel harder/harsher/clickier as what one or 2 have posted here?

I just found out the regional dealer who used to be the sole AD for S-yard has now picked up RomaRo. Hopefully they have some SX or VX demos.

Thanks for chiming in. Against the H irons, do the wedges really feel harder/harsher/clickier as what one or 2 have posted here?

I just found out the regional dealer who used to be the sole AD for S-yard has now picked up RomaRo. Hopefully they have some SX or VX demos.

Can't speak to H compar as I play the Pro Forged, but yes they are clickier/not as soft. If memory serves T indicated that it is by design.

Went to the RomaRo AD today to see the SX 58 today and it seems to have just that very slight offset at the end of the hosel near the sole. I've requested to se the 48 SX and VX. Hopefully it will be a full straight no offset hosel and the leading edge has some camber relief.

What's the cut (scoop?) out in the sole supposed to do?

• 1 month later...

Given that these wedges are S20C is the crispness in the feel associated to the plating that is used? I guess you could also ask the question as what attributes the feel differences between to clubs that are forged from the same base metal?

If it is the plating I wonder how they would feel if they were converted to raw or copper plated...

It's almost certainly the plating and should be nullified with a proper refinish. It isn't so much the actual feel as it is the sound frequency created by the surface coating itself from my understanding.

On the SX and VX, size wise, which is smaller or are they the same size?

They are both also S20C forged so both should feel the same or do the face milling on the SX give a less clicky feel (I doubt but thought I'd ask).

Also, for FP, the SX has a FP of 5.1 for the 48 but I can;t find the FP info for the VX on Romaro's website. Anyone know which has less for the 48*?

Thanks