KBS C Taper vs Nippon Modus3

rb2235

I found the Modus to go higher!

For me Modus play softer to flex and it's butt and tip is soft and the ball flight is higher. C Taper play stiffer to flex and its butt is stiff and the ball flight is lower and more penetrating.

With the Modus softer tip, it does give a better feel over C Taper (not that C Taper is not smooth) so I guess a lot will depends on what you want of the shaft.

Playing into the wind, I will pick C Taper while normal days I will choose Modus.

I do not have much experience with the Modus, but a lot of experience with the C-Taper. I would categorize both shafts as "smooth." The modus has a softer tip and plays slightly lower than the stated flex because of this feel. High ball flight with soft landings, especially in the lower irons.

The C-Tapers have gotten a bad rap as "harsh" and "hard to load." Here are my thoughts. First, while the C-Taper 130s CPM higher than most standard X, they are very easy to load if you have the right swing. KBS C-Tapers are not meant for smooth swingers, but those that are hitters. In my case, I have a smooth tempo, but my swing is a digger/driver type swing that is of a hitter. If paired with this type of swing, the C-Tapers are very, very smooth feeling and make my TTDG X-100s feel like crap.

C-Tapers really do reduce spin and give you a very strong flight in windy conditions. The flight is not as low as many seem to think as I don't have much trouble landing on the greens softly with my lower lofted clubs. Heck, I even play a 130 in my 50* and a softsteped 8i 130 in my 56* (which is a spin monster in itself... yururi tour). A really high quality shaft that has changed my game.

Go X or soft stepped X in Modus if you're going to mess around. Straight stiff were all over the yard for me, C-tapers are better all around for me.

They sell them as individual shafts on ebay....just buy a 6 or 7 iron shaft and give it a shot before reshafting the entire set !

They sell them as individual shafts on ebay....just buy a 6 or 7 iron shaft and give it a shot before reshafting the entire set !

Good call.

aerotechs......... i keep forgetting to try these babies out..... mental note to self GEAT A SET...!

ive got both the c-tapers protos in stiff that were made for the tour guys.

and the modus3 tx X in my yamaha tour irons.

the tx X are NOT soft to flex 1 iota. these things are solid shafts.

if u meoooooow a shot with these ull know about it.

the ctapers hmmmmm persoanlly i dont really like the way they feel. and they are in the softest of heads.

they are kinda muted, i wont say they are really that harsh, they certianly arnt soft tho.

they are very low, and the ball goes further with them. i think they remind me of the NS superpeening blue. but not as nice

i think ur right saying playing these into the wind is a good idea, u wont be gettitng baloon ball s or huge distance losses with them.

and yea they are a lot nicer to play than x100s.

but playing the modus TX are just as good , just higher.

with the yamaha tour 2011 heads tho.

the ball aint going high.

id choose the TX X 100% of the time out of these two ,, simply a much better all round shaft for my game.

and i too am a very slow smooth swinger but i get thru the ball at impact quite hard and take small craters as divots sometimes .

gottta get the aerotechs...............,

aerotechs......... i keep forgetting to try these babies out..... mental note to self GEAT A SET...!

Do it Stew..... would be interesting to hear your thoughts about it as compare to all the tour proto you're hording lol

might just ahve a few of those............................, and ..

there MIGHT be a cpl leaked back ONLY to the lovely chaps at TSG soon too.

rethinking a few things again...,

aerotechs are very smooth, nothing like anything steel i can think of but close enough to steel that you don't feel like you're playing graphite. i have them in my af-tours and it's a pretty good set-up.

now thats a good idea im going toswap out the DPs i have in those bec they are prob not quite perfect.

do aero techs come in differnet weights, flex yadda yadda yadda

yep, and iirc that was what set them apart from other graphite shafts. they figured out how to use steel fibers to increase weight instead of having to increase wall thickness. i have the heavier 125g stiff flex in mine and they're pretty darn true to flex.

• 1 month later...

Good read. I've been thinking of trying the MODUS shafts. For me like mentioned above the C-Tapers didn't work with my swing. I'm very smooth swinger, even though I really hit down and through the ball and take bigger divots then most I didn't get the feedback I wanted from the C-Tapers. The KBS Tours were just better for my swing type, although the ho in me wants to try out the Modus shafts.

Another option is Nippon Super Peening Orange. Same distance as C-taper but higher flight and softer landing, really nice for me.