Jbeam 435R review - this shxt is crazy...

luting_chen

This is probably my first post giving review on equipment :)

I don't usually do reviews but figure many people may be interested in hearing about the new 435R

Fortunately I had the chance to try out the new Jbeam 435R, which I believe is to replace the FX 435.

Driver spec

We don't have the exact spec but was told this head is 10'

But judging from the look with some measurement... I would say it's about 10-10.5

Loft: 10-10.5'

FA: +0.5 to +1.0

Weight: 195.5g

Shaft: CB46 8.1

Length: 46'

SW: D2

Look

Though this driver is at 450cc, but it looks relatively compact at address.

Reminds me of my old yamaha tour but even prettier

Paint job is nicely done, while the black paint has this metallic sparkling within. Reminds me of the metallic paint they had on the old lambo diablo.

The sole design is really pretty and compact. I think it looks much better than the original 435.

It has relatively a deeper face, but definitely doesn't look deep like the TM super deep.

Seriously I was really doubting if it's really a 450cc head... b/c I wonder where they hided all the volumes.

Sound

Love the sound, it's not high pitched nor is it muted. It's just about right. Not too loud, not muted. Perfect

I've played quite many heads... epon, ryoma, yamaha, tm, titleist... it's more closer to epon line similar to 152 but slightly louder.

The sound make sure you know that your on-center hit is flying miles far... unlike ryoma where it's relatively muted... that you don't really get rewarded at your ear...

Feel

Feel is spectacular, and just wonderful.

This is the first time trying out jbeam head. I've played yamaha tour, epon 102/152/zero, ryoma... etc etc.

So far this is the best feeling head I would say. It feels more like epon/yamaha tour (v201), but with a bit more soft but compressed feeling to it.

For epon lines, though the feel is wonderful and soft, but it doesn't seem to have the ball staying on the face for that long through impact.

The 435R on the other hand, felt like the ball stayed on the face for that extra milisecond.

It really gives you the feeling of compressing the ball and then the ball just shoots out. By no mean it's overly done or soft to an extend like Taylormade burner line or RBZ.

While hitting at it, you will definitely know where on the club face you hitted it.

I definitely know where the ball goes before looking at it. The feedback is just nicely done.

Performance

This is the part where it tempted me to write the review.

All I could say is that this thing is a beast.

My swing speed is about 110mph with average transition, and about 115mph if I really go at it.

This combo is probably the longest... I really mean really the longest I've ever hit.

Though it's only a range session and I've only hit about 30 balls into the net. But judging by the initial ball speed, launch height... I know it's a winner... surpassing all the drivers I've owned.

The club playing at 46' is a bit too long I believe. The length made it a bit hard to square up as I normally play 45.25-45.5 so I lost a bit of consistency there.

After choking it down a bit, problem resolved. Dead straight it is.

At first I was a bit nervous of the look at address given its compact shape. It doesn't look like the most user friendly head.

I was wrong.... and after just two shots, I was already sold and with my friends dropping their jaws on how nice the ball flight was.

The initial ball speed goes out like a rocket cannon. And to be honest, it's not that hard to launch at all. It launch much much easier than the epon zero, and I would probably say it's more similar to 102 than 152. I normally carry my ball about 270 with little bit of roll. Judging from where I hit the net, this driver probably went about 280 at carry.

Launch wise, it's more like a mid trajectory head. It went similar to my old epon 152 (9' head, FA 1 open), but with more initial ball speed.

I'm taking it to the course tomorrow to see how it plays. I have quite a high confidence level that the roll is going to be superb.

Direction: I think probably due to its low spin, directional miss was minimal. It just went straight, tiny tiny draw or tiny fade. I don't usually shape my shots but I did try to hit it high/low, and it performs on command.

On a side note, we've had about 4-5 friends trying out the driver.

All with ss about 100-110 and a few at close to 120.

For the 100 guys: The CB46 8.1 was a bit too much, but the result wasn't that at all. Just that they really need to swing hard to get the ball speed up. But on good shots they had no problem launching it. But I believe this is due to the combo being a bit over their comfort zone.

For guys around 110: This is truely the gamer. It really drops the spin down with mid trajectory penetrating flight. Most of these guys including me play about low to high single handi. Overall we have yet to see a shot that went balloon'd.

For guys around 115-120: teaching pro at the range. The launch was high but by no mean it went balloon. Ball really left the club face hot and seems to carry forever...

After one range session... all two of my friends decided to get the exact same combo once the head is released.

Can't wait to see how it perform on the course with better golf ball.

Will try to see how it go against the FX 435 when it arrives. But I really doubt there will be much difference. Except for the look~~~

Stay tuned~~~~~

Here are some pic :)

post-12169-0-63351100-1345167798.jpg

post-12169-0-11436400-1345167808.jpg

post-12169-0-84358900-1345167814.jpg

Edited by luting_chen

Great review and well written..... keep us posted.

hmmmmmmmmm.

thats absolute music to my ears...,

if anyone needs a 9.5* 435 with cb50 8.2.well thers one for sale as of NOW.

Pic added.

Don't really know how to re-size them... took them with my cellphone~~~ lol~~~

Paint job looks much better in person~~~

Edited by luting_chen

how much is the setiup you tested

Free... b/c it's not mine :)

I'm trying to buy it off though... lol

conforming?

excellent post

Yes it's conforming :)

Ok, brought it to the course today. The performance is as expected.

Huge carry, but rolls is okay. But it probably has to do with my swing as my drive tend to have slight fade. And I believe the head is slightly open at +1 degree.

The combo is definitely anti-left. With aggressive release, I was getting straight to slight draws.

I normally carry my ball about 265-270, but this combo gave me the longest carry I'd imagine, somewhere around 280.

The ball flight is excellent, mid trajectory while very penetrating without ballooning.

When I tried drawing the ball slightly (which went straight), I carried about 280 with about 20 yard roll. Which is quite significant. On a particular par 4, It surpassed my previous long drive record by about 10-15 yards (Epon 152 + TJ80 combo).

The sound of the head is a bit different than at the range. By no mean it's loud or high pitched nor is it muted. It's just about right. Wouldn't call it the best pitch I've heard but it's pleasant enough.

And by the way, the head is actually quite easy to launch. I was able to launch the ball nicely with huge carry.

I tee up half ball above club face, and definitely not a high hitter, but was able to launch the ball nicely with ease.

:)

Now hopefully they would let me buy the demo head~~~~

Edited by luting_chen

hmmmmmmmmm.

thats absolute music to my ears...,

if anyone needs a 9.5* 435 with cb50 8.2.well thers one for sale as of NOW.

HAHAHAHAH! YES!! Awesome! I gotta find out what is better, this or that Kamui club you keep telling me to get!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

How's this bad boy compare to the new Crazy La Bomba??

Nice post. I've tried alot of drivers, but my current jBeam (425) gamer has been treating me awesome so far. I love the soft feel and especially the sound. I'm interested in trying out the 435R and try some different shaft combinations.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice post. I've tried alot of drivers, but my current jBeam (425) gamer has been treating me awesome so far. I love the soft feel and especially the sound. I'm interested in trying out the 435R and try some different shaft combinations.

I think you will like it.

I've now gamed both the FX 435 and 435R for a while now, the 435R is actually slightly more forgiving.

The ball flight are quite similar though, sound wise too.

They both launch mid trajectory for me with very penetrating ball flight.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to compare them with the same shaft side by side.

I originally shafted the 435R with CB46 8.1 but later pulled it out to put on the FX435 (b/c of the white shaft, white head combo).

The 435R is now on TJ80 8.2, which plays a bit stiff for me. So tempted to get another C46 8.1 to go with it...

Anyone interested for a trade?

It's on jBeams web site, they come in White too!!

I tried to google the site but no luck. Can you post the link?

Tnx. Awesome site. Too bad I can't translate it and decipher the benefits of one driver over the other.

I think you will like it.

I've now gamed both the FX 435 and 435R for a while now, the 435R is actually slightly more forgiving.

The ball flight are quite similar though, sound wise too.

They both launch mid trajectory for me with very penetrating ball flight.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to compare them with the same shaft side by side.

I originally shafted the 435R with CB46 8.1 but later pulled it out to put on the FX435 (b/c of the white shaft, white head combo).

The 435R is now on TJ80 8.2, which plays a bit stiff for me. So tempted to get another C46 8.1 to go with it...

Anyone interested for a trade?

Interesting. I'd like to see how the 435R works works with a Crazy TJ80. Maybe time for a new gamer! :)

By the way, the jBeam 435R is updated in the Pro Shop.

Ball flight definitely lower with better dispersion. But after getting so used to the tj46, swinging the tj80 8.2 makes it feel quite tiring lol. My 7i is about 90-91...but I feel like I need that extra 5mph to handle the 8.2. I would say 7.7 makes it a perfect combo...

I had a friend of mine who swings at 118-120 driver ss, the combo is definitely a killer. Super penetrating ballflight vs tj46. Ball goes out face extremely hot with penetrating flight and super heavy (if u know what Im trying to say, like wind seems not much of a factor...)

Anyone interested for a trade? a Just installed with one range session.

Interesting. I'd like to see how the 435R works works with a Crazy TJ80. Maybe time for a new gamer! :)