new Epon irons.... RF-551

coops1967

My email to Epon about the aussie fake 301's was rejected due to their web site contact address being wrong.... and while rummaging around for a real contact came across this new set of irons

September apparently.... it's on their Facebook page - go to Aug 14th on their timeline to see the relevant info.

epon-RF551.jpg

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now go see if you can find there other new Iron!!

Ha, a fabulous smooth blended set from a blade af-tour shape to 302 shape longer irons would be nice....

Good to see the weave/carbon look ferrule is back.... but not sure about all these new offerings, well, unless it's a modern verison of the technicity 380 driver with cup face, pear shape, adams 9015d feel and that weight pad on the bakc thing and... and.... apart from that.

Notice it says exclusive to overseas customers.

I want the Carbon ferrules, anyone know where I can get a set of these??

they'd come standard with your order :tsg_smilie_smile2:

They have (had anyway...) a copper/gold version for the copper chrome finish too

IMG_1082.jpg

Edited by coops1967

Welcome to the RF line guys. This is for overseas customers, the RF line is priced more affordably than their newer more premium line products that Epon has been releasing.

Same quality, same name, same maker. better price!

Expect more to come.

Welcome to the RF line guys. This is for overseas customers, the RF line is priced more affordably than their newer more premium line products that Epon has been releasing.

Same quality, same name, same maker. better price!

Expect more to come.

You mean old models rehashed for overseas buyers. Should never have sold my Technity type-S

I thought you would have painted it white....

why the hate? what did Epon ever do to you?

and if it was, it would still be better than most

I would suggest that Epon are the brand of choice for a majority of forum members but that does not mean we can not have a laugh at their expense and to bring out a 5+ year model for the overseas market is

not worthy of them in my opinion.

In answer to your question, what did Epon do to you? They make the best golf equipment, that's what. I could have said the roads but that's obvious and another film.

Edited by ukok

I'm glad Epon is creating an RF line using "adjusted" previous models at a lower price point. These are still exclusive and original designs. Not sure how much lower they will cost but the point is it will allow new players to experience the brand.

Then if they like what they have they can graduate to the higher end models like the personals and other premium future releases. This makes perfect business sense to me.

I think it's just a poor effort by dale in trying to be funny, I don't see how anyone could get their panties in a bunch over this. If he was serious he must be outraged to a point of hemorrhage about brands using open model heads.

i think they look bloody lovely.... id neve seen the 501s before. these immediatly caught my eye.

yea great idea by EPON IMO.. i dont think it cheapens the brand 1 iota, i think it opens the OS market to a qulity golf club .

no drama there what so ever.

imagine .................................................,

IF the HOGAN apex irons from 1999 ( that every WRX er swears is the greatest iron ever made................)

were re-released , epon style, by say..... EPON...

how do u think they would go?

PERSONALLY................................ id think they go absolutely fricken awsomely...!

Edited by supo67

this is good. we on here can afford the premium af line so dont complain.

these are for the guys that have aspired for epon gear but found it uber expensive.

the RF line will be cheaper but still expensive compared to their USDM counterparts.

consider it way of catering to a whole new LARGER market.

This is not a poor effort by Epon at all. When I met with their international agent back before the summer, they explained the concept of the RF line and it makes total sense.

The fact is Epon's market is very narrow, they cater to a tiny percentage of golfers who see value and are willing to pay for premium clubs. And as a relatively unknown brand outside of Japan, most golfers (besides the educated enthusiasts here at TSG of course) have never seen the AF-501 before. They want to grow and they know they cannot do it over night.

It is actually a testament to the quality of the AF-501 and that it can still be a design that works and performs today. By introducing the RF551 (reintroducing the tweaked AF501) for the overseas market at a price point approximately 30% lower than the AF line thanks to savings from R&D, CAD and tooling/mould making, Epon can appeal to a mid range group of golfers who other wise may never have been able to consider Epon. At the same time they do not reduce the quality of the product. Sure its a re tweaked older model but its still S20C forged and designed at Endo and it is still Epon. For the 98% of golfers who do not know Epon this can work.

We all know that the AF501 is a pretty good iron and for some even better than the 502. So bottom line is the RF551 not meant for everyone. They actually have a plan involved and it doesn't necessarily appeal to the type of customers who are accustomed to the AF line BUT newer products which will also come.

So before members call poor effort or look down on the RF551 like the EHR, they should keep in mind that there are probably those who are happy with these releases and may have a better chance at affording and experiencing Epon quality. I would be worried if all they ever came out with were older models but that is not and will not be the case.

Sorry, to me it still looks lazy. The reason why most JDM brands are out of reach to overseas buyers is the price point. A new set of Epon irons in the UK will set you back £1,300.00+, take 30% off and you still have a set of irons

out of the reach to most buyers. Most US models fall in the £500.00 and below market and only Yonex are more expensive but heavily discounted with added wedges etc.

The way brand JDM filters down is by eBay, I purchased my first set of Epon Technicity S irons for about £450.00, over 5 years ago then sold them for about £300.00. They were and are a great set of irons but technology has moved on.

Chris, is always saying US branded clubs are years behind JDM equipment, enough said.

Since when are new models a complete 100% refresh? often mostly a tweek of the prior model, I dont understand what the fuss is about. not everyone wants to/can play blades. I dont understand why this is viewed as anything other than an a tangent of the 500 series irons (albeit different strategy)?

they look bloody good to me and if the material & quality is the same EPON you know its good.

Edited by EPONfreak

They look like nice clubs, but Epon will have to change their marketing strategy to give them a chance.

The thing with Epon (and other JDMs) is that they are niche for a reason (i.e. quality = cost) and can get away with minimum marketing exposure due to the particular market segment they occupy. People, such as those on this forum, hunt down the best and are 'happy' to pay the extra cash. Would the standard TSGer want to buy a new set of 501s or get the latest 503s (or whatever the 502 replacement will be)? If Epon are aiming at a wider market with the RF line then they need to do a big marketing push to explain to the average golf consumer a) who Epon are b) why they should spend more on the RFs compared to a USDM set. The particular niche (without spending marketing $) of people who know about Epon, but won't find a way of trying them (either by TSG new/classifieds/ebay) would seem to be an even smaller market segment than they currently occupy.

I'm not a hater, I love Epon stuff (I have 701s) and have nothing against the RFs as a good looking club. Just my thoughts..... :^)

They look like nice clubs, but Epon will have to change their marketing strategy to give them a chance.

The thing with Epon (and other JDMs) is that they are niche for a reason (i.e. quality = cost) and can get away with minimum marketing exposure due to the particular market segment they occupy. People, such as those on this forum, hunt down the best and are 'happy' to pay the extra cash. Would the standard TSGer want to buy a new set of 501s or get the latest 503s (or whatever the 502 replacement will be)? If Epon are aiming at a wider market with the RF line then they need to do a big marketing push to explain to the average golf consumer a) who Epon are b) why they should spend more on the RFs compared to a USDM set. The particular niche (without spending marketing $) of people who know about Epon, but won't find a way of trying them (either by TSG new/classifieds/ebay) would seem to be an even smaller market segment than they currently occupy.

I'm not a hater, I love Epon stuff (I have 701s) and have nothing against the RFs as a good looking club. Just my thoughts..... :^)

I get what your saying, but you assume this is a 'mass market' push. I doubt that is the case. the market will still be the 'enthusiast' market, but a different level.

C'mon gents!!

Seems like we've started some sort of religious war here for no apparent reason and I'd personally hate to see this thread or this forum in general go the way of some of the other forums out there with a lot of mudslinging and name calling.

In the end, it's all about our collective passion for golf gear that we share, so let's all be a bit more respectful and open about differing viewpoints.

Just wait for the irons . Its POINTLESS

To discuss this now. Only til they have been released

And you actually know what they are then comment.

This thread is getting old