new Epon irons.... RF-551

coops1967

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lemme know what u think.

for this price, i think you might enjoy giving these a whirl. they have more of the usdm feel rather than the endo feel but they're very solid. they have a nice thin sole and meet the turf quite well. the shape and top line are very traditional and extremely pleasing to look at at address. on the right shaft these could easily make the cut in the rotation.

ok guys i played with the 6 and 7 iron borrowed from my dad. i played one with the stock shimada 7001r flex

and reshafted the 7 iron with a dgs300 and let me say that they are much more enjoyable to hit compared to

the 502s. the 502s are softer yet more detached and numb, these 551s are livelier and have a click like feeling

in the longer cb undercut irons while the 7 is nice and solid.

those who have hit the older epon irons like the 501 and type x will feel very nostalgic. i miss this feeling. i like these

very much. i think pricing will be the determinant if these will be a success or not.

Does anyone know when Epon plans to replace the AF502 and/or AF302? I'm saving up for a combo set and am pretty close to reaching my goal.

a302 no plans. af 502 who knows..

i wouldnt hold my breath though for the 302s

Doubtful we will see any new models anytime soon as those two are one of their more popular models and selling like hot cakes..... best is to get in BST , if you wanna save some $$$ and not wait !!

When will these be for sale and how much 4-pw?

When will these be for sale and how much 4-pw?

4 iron is optional.

these should be available soon. worldwide release was sept 8 so should be available

already.

i really wish they had this finish option in the AF series. its sooo hot!!! they call it Black Midnight

If price right, I think this model will get a lot of people onto the Epon bandwagon

Unless the new model can get into the normal retail channels, it would still remains a cult/specialize products even at a slightly lower price point. Those using Epon are either members of this forum or other forums and use the service of s fitter/club making on a frequent

basis.

Ultimately the price point will be determind by the way that epon intend to market them. If they are going to put them into 'normal' golf shops then they will need to be comparable with the USDM clubs (Titleist AP2s etc). However if they are just going to put them through the exisitng Epon dealer network then maybe 15-25% less that the AF range.

I'm still not convinced about how many people will get to see these unless they already know about JDM and Epon. Maybe they will steal sales from other JDM brands or maybe even people considering the AF range?

Have to say the in hand pictures do make them look alot nicer than the stock pictures.

Can't wait to see em. Good thing you still keeping em Monaco

Midnight shot for midnight finish.... how appropriate !!

Let us know how they play..... especially as compare to Personal. Any picture of address would be appreciated.

Midnight shot for midnight finish.... how appropriate !!

Let us know how they play..... especially as compare to Personal. Any picture of address would be appreciated.

haha ed we think alike. thats exactly what i was thinking when i posted this. midnight-midnight Lol.

they are defintely more forgiving than the personals, longer , nothing beats the personals in the feel

department.

heres a pic of the 6 iron at address. sorry if its blurry or not aligned.

had my first round with them yesterday and am getting my old distances

back. after gaming the personals for a month or more these are stupid

easy to hit. i like them very much and with the monacos attached im

quite giddy again. i actually like these more than the 502s.

they are clicky in the long irons and dead solid in the mid to short.

they are hot of the face and real real long. i am happy. i personally

think they are just rebadges and cosmetically enhanced 501s.

not to worry they work! you guys should try them if you have access

to some demos!

hopefully edgolf will get to try these next week and give his opinion on them

post-10550-0-68859500-1348804382.jpg