new Epon irons.... RF-551

coops1967

The tech in the Type-S or 501 is still the standard today for many brands in Japan & the USA. There is nothing old about it. Epon has always been about what works. High tech IMO is TourStage or PRGR. In the states you could say it's TM or Cally.

The 502 is a different story it is high tech with the alpha gel & 2 piece construction things that brands in the U.S have not implemented due to cost. Keep in mind that ENDO manufacturing in general is considered high tech compared to any other manufacture.

I feel it's easy to understand why these are US/EU releases, It's the price. If we look at the complete picture here, These clubs are expensive to start with, the yen is strong and it's easy for any JDM brand to price themselves out of the global market by not making smart decisions.

If they re milled the back cavity and put a different name on it no one would be complaining because it would "seem" like a different model. But what Epon has done is adjust their shape and aesthetics, kept the proven design and priced it more affordably which may not be what US/EU TSG'ers want but it IS what US/EU golfers in general want.

Epon will still have tech packed clubs, limited clubs, expensive high end clubs. That's a given. It's just now they have something for the enthusiast willing to spend but not go crazy.

Their current stuff is produced in such limited numbers with original molds it's gotta be priced super high. A set of custom epons is in the 1500-2000 range. I think having options in the 1100 range is only a positive.

In regards to distribution, There will still only be a limited number of accounts in the U.S & E.U. This is not mass market product.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yikes, all this over a set of irons to be released.

Have to love the forum world. :tsg_smiley_crazy:

Personally I think they look interesting and the finish looks pretty cool in that stock photo.

Looking forward to seeing some in-hand pictures.

If the quality is still there at a better price point, then it's a win.

Edited by JGalls

Epon's recent direction is pretty interesting... as their new releases are increasingly geared towards targeted limited editions for specialized "needs", with the limited nature fueling the hype and mystique further. Then take a page out of Tourstage's book (a la how they sell older tech to global market via Bridgestone at a more global-consumer friendly price) and you've got a decent growth strategy. Always liked the look of the 501 and the finish on the revamp looks pretty tasty.

This post seems to have been heavily edited, I presume this means Dale RIP?

Correct he's been 86'd. It wasn't for disagreeing or not sharing any particular opinion. It's simply because TSG has for the most part very well mannered members. I'd like to keep it that way. Your all good ukok, your opinion is fine and you presented it perfectly.

Since when are new models a complete 100% refresh? often mostly a tweek of the prior model, I dont understand what the fuss is about. not everyone wants to/can play blades. I dont understand why this is viewed as anything other than an a tangent of the 500 series irons (albeit different strategy)?

they look bloody good to me and if the material & quality is the same EPON you know its good.

This

Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between one year to the next with a lot of the irons.

think you could tell the difference between the Titleist 710 mb's from the 712mb's? No

Again this is just a testament to how good their (Epon) designs are. They're having a hard time improving

some of their designs. At least they admit it and make it for several years instead of coming out with

a new and improved model every year that isn't an improvement.

Can't wait to see the rest of the iron releases that are just around the corner....

501s at a lower price point, sign me up. Will these be available in over length? Shaft options?

Correct he's been 86'd. It wasn't for disagreeing or not sharing any particular opinion. It's simply because TSG has for the most part very well mannered members. I'd like to keep it that way. It's not our first issue with him either. Your all good ukok, your opinion is fine and you presented it perfectly.

GOOD! this thread was starting to read like a WRX thread where you read a topic of interest and 5 posts into the thread the remaining 5 pages is a s**tfight..........I/we dont want that here.

Missed all this so have no idea what is going on.

My only comment is that censorship is a very dangerous precedent

+1

Nothing really, a member asked us to delete his account. Per his request we did so.

You guys don't see it but we ban spammers, trolls, and disruptive trouble makers every week.

If we let the weeds grow this wouldn't be a happy place at all and end up looking like a lot of other golf forums.

The worst was Bombsquad Golf who would love to ban people almost at random. I got banned once because I questioned why they went with a certain web design and had what I thought was a respectful back and forth with the owners. Then, without warning, the goofy moderators ban me for one month saying that I was being disruptive. I was actually in shock especially after I had just spent about $3000 on new gear from them.

This would be like me questioning a policy or a refund at Bloomingdales and then being banned from shopping there again. BSG's Gestapo tactics led me to never again visit the site (which is now, not surprisingly in the toilet) and never to spend a penny with them ever again.

I'm actually a moderator on a P90X board and we have to be pushed pretty hard to ban someone. Just like the real world, we try very hard to be tolerant of all sorts of personalities.

difference being, BSG banned people for presenting a differing opinion (or questioning the complete BS that Todd used to present as fact) the mods here have done no such thing and encourage differing opinion, the 'bannee' posted unacceptable language and was deliberately being a d**khead.

back to topic?

Edited by EPONfreak

"the 'bannee' posted unacceptable language and was deliberately being a d**khead."

Now that was funny! Kinda like telling your kids not to f'n curse.

funny thing supo is that those HOGAN blades were in fact manufactured by EPON.

imagine ................................................., IF the HOGAN apex irons from 1999 ( that every WRX er swears is the greatest iron ever made................) were re-released , epon style, by say..... EPON... how do u think they would go? PERSONALLY................................ id think they go absolutely fricken awsomely...!

dad and i ordered a set each in s and r

flex. i should have mine next week weather permitting

and will give my feedback. wish they had more options

with shafts though as the stock is the shimada ks7001

in either S or R. no exceptions

Actually have those irons... Maybe I should reshaft and five a go with them again...

yea u know that what i heard...... is that true?

t im yet to see a set of those ones.

i did get a set of hogan personals (yes) and they were the worst clubs id ever hit .

absolutley horrendous..... i did a piece o nthem about a year ago. loved the design , but the feel was oh gaaaaaaawd awful.

i checked on ebay and i think the 1999s go for 200 bucks.

why and how are they so cheap if they are so good?

well yes they were...!

"Impact Engineering’s virtuoso grinder Mike Taylor incorporated the Kite/Leonard changes into a final set of prototypes. After reviewing the set in Ft. Worth I hand carried the final prototypes to Endo Manufacturing in Nigata, Japan for tooling. The set was so perfectly shaped that Endo was able to laser scan each head and cut the forging dies without creating any masters. This is seldom done with hand ground clubs."

well well well..........

whos gota set they wanna part with?

well yes they were...!

"Impact Engineering’s virtuoso grinder Mike Taylor incorporated the Kite/Leonard changes into a final set of prototypes. After reviewing the set in Ft. Worth I hand carried the final prototypes to Endo Manufacturing in Nigata, Japan for tooling. The set was so perfectly shaped that Endo was able to laser scan each head and cut the forging dies without creating any masters. This is seldom done with hand ground clubs."

well well well..........

whos gota set they wanna part with?

EBAY

if you still have that set of Hogan Personals and wanna unload it please PM me. if they are in good nick and the price is reasonable i can take them off you. re 99 Apex i see you found Jeff Sheets article, great article for any blade and club design junkie to read! i never had a set of those so cant comment on them. Wood Bros persimmon drivers were hand made and very good but you can get one these days for less than mass manufactured copy of a copy frying pan. modern golf equipment has the shelf life ofa banana it seems. i guess people want new things, people want more distance and people want to buy golf swings by buying new technology.

i did get a set of hogan personals (yes) and they were the worst clubs id ever hit . absolutley horrendous..... i did a piece o nthem about a year ago. loved the design , but the feel was oh gaaaaaaawd awful.