name your top 5 iron makers in order

swing981

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris

I .like hearing most of what you have to say. Basically because you do have the inside knowledge which most of us only wish we had. The same way I am keen on what Tario writes.

It is always nice to have the actual facts about certain brands and irons etc and not just the marketing material.

It is also good to have your own personal opinions as well. Whether we agree with them or not.

The world would be pretty boring if we all agreed.

I still love Miura though.

Do you think there is a difference between the Miurisms and their other offerings.

I think the Miurism Sb 01 are my favourite irons of any I have hit.

Hopefully I am not throwing a stick of dynamite in the fire here as I dont want to call the fire truck just yet!!!!

i got a few sets of miuras

cb1006

cb3002

5002 blades x 2

i like em a lot. esp for play on hard pan lies...

cant see me without at least one set of miura ever.

cant see my without the epon personals . either... they took me a while to like tho. now im inseperable.

of all brands out there..

both epon and miura for me . i wont be without

also nobody mentioned honma in top 5

Or Maruman in that matter...... :tsg_smiley_cyclops:

However I was surprise that Mizuno have the higher rating in Japan over Miura as I was always told otherwise in other forums lol

Mnnnn maybe time to pull out my MP68 from the closet again :tsg_smiley_heart:

OK. I'll bite. In my limited knowledge of the Japanese market, players over there are, as a general rule, are extremely interested in technology, graphics, marketing, and things that don't always, if ever, improve performance. It seems that after reading many forums that are probably fewer players there that are only interested in how it performs and are able to perceive many small differences in clubs such as ball flight, accuracy, consistency. Maybe there, as here in the U.S. as well with Taylor made, etc., the majority of players prefer to discuss the attributes of their newest and shiniest offset, cavity-backed, multi-metal-infused irons. Not trying to flame, but Miura sticks with proven, simple designs that work but aren't flashy and high-tech. Not that one's better, I like tech too, but it's no surprise to me that Miura is not more popular there, or here for that matter. Kinda like Hogan back in the day here, not many played it, and it was considered traditional and outdated, but the ones who did said nothing was better. They tried to get more modern, but it just wasn't in their DNA. Same with Miura. If they start cramming other metals into their irons or using "power slots" or something, then I'll know their days are numbered.

Well said and I agree with many points (though graphics is a personal thing and they do care about peforrmance and improvements which is why there is a huge emphasis on design or technology). Miura still uses old fashioned designs and for some people, this is a good thing. Keep it simple and pure. But besides very hard core enthusiasts and traditionalists here in Japan they don't have a big following which maybe is too bad.

And whether its power slots as you put it or other metals mixed in, there is nothing wrong with improving designs and technologies both while maintaining feel and performance. The truth is many of us need help and can't always make the perfect shot and technology and advancements in design do help.

That said, Miura recently has made some nice new designs which have caught my eye as being a change from the usual line of clubs they produce like the CB1007 and the WMF06 wedge. Very nice clubs which I have had the pleasure of seeing and trying first hand.

Chris

I .like hearing most of what you have to say. Basically because you do have the inside knowledge which most of us only wish we had. The same way I am keen on what Tario writes.

It is always nice to have the actual facts about certain brands and irons etc and not just the marketing material.

It is also good to have your own personal opinions as well. Whether we agree with them or not.

The world would be pretty boring if we all agreed.

I still love Miura though.

Do you think there is a difference between the Miurisms and their other offerings.

I think the Miurism Sb 01 are my favourite irons of any I have hit.

Hopefully I am not throwing a stick of dynamite in the fire here as I dont want to call the fire truck just yet!!!!

Miuraism are the hand picked and made specifically for the player model clubs, The models are older but get special attention and special fit. So they are definitely more babied and get more attention from Miura when being produced than more mainstream MG models.

in fact... in going to break down my fav sets from the differnt styles of irons sets

EPON persoanls-----, MUSCLE BACK

cant imagine palying anything else . once i got settled with them ,chich was about 1 round , i just said right im long a LOT of superfluous superb iron sets that the persoanls just blew out of the water like metal storm to a mound of watermellons

MIURA cb3002------, CAVITY

ive not played as many low rounds as i have with these babies, they are HUGE prepsoterously square . massively off set. cavity backed ladies irons....................., that i shafted first with nS1150X (WHICH WERE TOO LIGHT) then TT monacco which makes the massively heavy... matters not i dont seem to play a bad round with them

they feel fantastic as well, and have well and truely knocked every other cavity back iron set out of my search ad infinitum.

i was lucky to get set in A-grade condition that i will keep for ever. and prob just reshaft when im a dinosaur.

they are NOT to many peoples taste, but to me they play as relaibly as a the hachikou dog..!

YURURI flatback ------, BLADES

why did i sell these, talk about dumbass i shudda just reshafted them !

MIURA MB5002 -------,BLADES

not QUITE as nice to hit as the miuraisms. but the shape makes up for it +more.

very old school styling, soft as a babies bum workable as u like. with a very"weird" stlying to the pw-aw which i LOVE and hit with great confidence. i think these are the best blades ive played consistantly. small compact and a joy to hit.

id sell many an iron before i moved these on .

PR-GR data 811----,GAME IMPROVEMENT.

my first set of JDM irons bought in sept 2001 played soley till 2004 when they were put aside NEVER SOLD.. for a set of PR-GR 900md.

the data 811 need to be seen to be believed. if uwant to see a set golf clubs that most resemble a shovel........ THIS is them. 3-sw and at 180k a set on release well u can see these werent mickey mouse. still got them.. still play them from time to time for fun. these took me from an 18 hcaper (off the tips ) to 12, then i moved up a notch. i wont ever sell these things. the shafts are just the stock PR-GR shafts that seemd to work ok for a bunch of yrs. these are my all time favs. of ALL irons.

i had to put 2 blades sets in considering ive played so many more blades than anything esle.

the srixon pro 100s were right there but the feel of them let them down. they are very good , but not great. i actually play these better than the yururi but when u hit a yururi,, well....... u understand. the yonex ezones are another set i think are good , but for ME a little ":flimsy? veyr thin.. think i prefer a bit mreo "beefier clunk: to play tho, damn fine . not many better surgical tools than these. like wise the new tourstage 905, if only the shape were differnt ever so slightyl. similar to the pain i feel wit he epon 302s

the epon302 were another favourite that i absolutely LOVE , but cant get on with i just cudnt get them wired consistantly. when i did get along witht them , theres prob not better iron set i can think of. the 301s i havnt had enough time with to consider properly.

and the yamaha tour irons which for the last 3 yrs ive been gaming more than anything else. as much as i love all thesemodels i putt hem in the same class asthe 302 and epon perosnals,, and the personals got it.

and these new kamui pro ones .. well time will tell bec right now, they are FIRMLY staying put in my bags while others make thier way out .

stew, i'm surprised you haven't replaced the yururis yet...gawd they're good! also, didn't you sell your sb-01's...or do you still have them? where would you rate those? i'm pretty sure those are next on my list!

Edited by chiromikey

Anything Endo would be in my list, plus others

Epon

Onoff

Yam

GeoTech( surprisingly )

Tourstage

Im going with. Epon, Yamaha, Tourstage, Romaro, and Yururi

can somone tell me ............

who bought romaro???

becout of the blue these things are doing GIGANTIC advertisising here in japan

hey were a tiny super expensive miniscule brand 2 blinks of an eye ago

now they are everywhere

someone BIG owns them for sure.

• 2 years later...

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

3 yrs on.

prgr tr500/ prgr idbl/ yam 2011/buchi CB............ best cavity.

masda/honma best blades.

still prgr data 811 best GI

best all rounder TM tp 09

Edited by supo67

1. Gauge Studio hand mades (I'm a George fan)

2. Mizuno

3. Epon

4. Yururi

5. Honma

Epon

Onoff

Mizuno

Miura

Tourstage

Seven - Up and comer!

To be fair I have never hit Honma, PRGR, Yururi (just wedges) Kyoei, Masada, Royal Collection, Buchi, Modart, Romaro, Masada, Maurman or Yamaha irons.