Newbie to JDM and looking for some help with irons...

timastyle

Hi All. I'm new to this site and don't know too much about JDM products (done some research, but never really hit or played with one). I have been a self-proclaimed club ho. One thing that's been pretty consistent in my bag though have been my irons for the last 3-4 years. I have been playing some Precept Tour Premium CB irons with Black Gold stiffs (recently replaced my Nippon Modus 3s in X)and truly love them. Recently (less than a week ago), I purchased a set of B'Stone J40 CB irons with KBS shafts to replace my current set. I figured since I had a baby coming any day now (as of today, my wife is a full week past the due date), I might as well buy a new set of irons because it'll be a while before I get to spend money on myself. Well the irons came in and I've had a couple range session and one round in and I'm not sold on the shafts. Rather than spend the money to change out shafts, I figure that I can sell them and put the money I would pay for changing shafts to getting new or new to me JDM irons.

I know about the various manufactuers of irons that are available, but what I don't know or able to try out are what irons would suit my game and what I'm looking for.

A little bit about my game:

My scores are generally between low-90s to mid-80s (have never kept an actual handicap). My 6i SS is high-80s to low-90s and I have a quick/aggressive transition. I think the Precepts I have are pretty forgiving given it's thin topline and blade-like profile. I think the slightly larger heel to toe length also helps me out. I currently try to get to the range 3 times a week, but only get to play about once every week or two. I expect my play/range time will be nonexistent for the next few weeks once my wife has the baby. She's supportive though and says that she'll let me go play whenever I want. :)

What I want in my irons:

I'm looking for irons similar in profile to the Precept Tour Premium CB with a bit more forgiveness and similar feel if possible. Probably because I've been playing them for so long, but I really like the way the irons look and set up. This also may not sound logical, but I really need to like the looks of the irons (think Epon AF-302) to consider them. I figure since I'm not going to try and get my tour card anytime soon, I'm willing to give up a couple strokes per round if it means I play the irons I want. I would want it to be a 3-PW because I can't hit hybrids for the life of me. I swing them like I do drivers (all out) and don't have much success with them. I am also on a budget when it comes to JDM irons. I would be willing to buy used but in good condition (i.e. no browning with light bag chatter/scrathes/dings). I'm not opposed to older iron models either seeing that I'm currently playing Precepts that are from 2001, but they need to be in good condition.

The shafts are a tricky one as I've used various shafts (i.e. PX 6.0, KBS Tour stiff, Nippon Modus 3 X, Nippon NS Orange X, DG S300, Black Gold stiff). Off all these, I would say I liked the two Nippons and the Black Gold the most. The orange was very smooth, but the X flex was too much for me. I felt like I had to swing as hard as I could to have it not feel boardy. I didn't get to try them in stiff, but I may have really liked them. The Modus X were great and smooth. I went to a fitting and when they were tested for frequency, they came out at a 5.0 which is soft than even stiff, which may have had to do something with my lack of control. The Black Golds really feel solid and I enjoy the ball flight. It feels like the ball is boring through the air with good trajectory (I prefer mid trajectory ball flight). If these had the smoothness of the Nippons, I think they would be money. The DG's just didn't do anything for me and the PX were way too harsh. I would have joint pains (hands and elbows) after hitting an iron with these shafts. I thought the ball flight was similar to the Black Golds, but much harsher in feel. The KBS shafts felt smooth, but the height of the ball was too high. I actually much prefered the height and overall ball flight on slight mis**ts than when I pured one if that makes sense.

I know the head style plays a role in the overall height and ball flight, but I'm looking for a shaft to produce a mid trajectory boring ball flight similar to the Black Golds, but smoothness of the Nippons.

Sorry for the long winded post, but can you guys help inform me on the different JDM irons available and what irons/shaft combos would you recommend for me to look into? Since this is likely going to be a sight unseen (read no demo) purchase, I will be looking at your advices to help me get into the JDM scene. Also, I am looking to stay in the $800-900 range for the set, so given the cost of new JDM irons, I'm probably looking at a used set which I'm not opposed to. I think this will help me get my first JDM set and I can later purchase a new set once the baby has gotten in a routine and I can get out and play more. I thank you in advance for reading my post and helping me out.

Thanks,

Tony

ok well looks like ur going to have multiple choices in the same line as those precepts....,

epon 302 is a good thought. tourstage viq.. 701.. 703.. yamaha 2010.. 2009.... srixon ztx... theres a few i had a brief look at that might be of some interest..

u shud be able to get these for the money ur looking at..

shaft wise.... if u like the black golds , then the monacco wil be a very good choice. they have smoothness on NS but with a DG flight. in stiff flex at 122 gram they might be very good.

monaco in stiff getting very hard to come by tho.

Supo67, thanks for the info. I'm really eyeing the 302s but not sure if I can get them in my price range. I was also looking at the ZTX irons yesterday, but what, if any, is the difference between the JDM and USDM versions? The USDM can be had for pretty cheap brand new (around $500).

Edit: I'm in Los Angeles so the dollar amounts are in US dollars just to avoid confusion.

Edited by timastyle

no idea about the srixon line . i saw them when they came out and i thought they look great. i play the pro 100 baldes and they are very good irons

i dont know if theres a local line they do or not, but i do know the price for my irons is def more expensive than the ones outside japan.

302 for 8o0. errrrrr u might get realy lucky.....................

I know the new is much more than what I have to spend. If I can find a good used set, then that would be great, but I am also open to other manufacturer/models that are more in my price range. I can always have a goal of getting the 302s or their newer version (if it takes that long) once I've had a chance to play a bit more. I'm looking to get my feet wet with JDM products to start with. I can always go for a home run later on.

My opinion is the Srixon Pro100 is a good candidate - great soft feeling but not sure on the forgiveness front lol

Yes they are blades but at the same time one of the easier blades to hit. not much difference as compare to AF302, since you're considering it. Set up beautifully and because they're a much older model, the price can be get for a lot cheaper and IMO worth a try.

The reason I would consider the 302s is that in talking to MoreBeerBetterGolf, he told me that from his experience, the 302s fall in line with JPX Pro 800 in terms of forgiveness with the edge to the JPX. You're either saying that the Pro100s are just as forgiving or the 302s aren't that forgiving. Like I said in my original post, I'm looking for something with more forgiveness than the Precepts (if anyone can provide a comparison) to help me because I won't be playing much once my first child is born. The 302s are not on the must have right now list. They're more of a ultimate iron wish list for me.

Looking on ebay, I've seen various JDM irons that are within my budget, such as some older OnOff models from 2007 and 2008 (sold my ushop_ec), some older Miura/Miuraism, and Tourstage irons. I just don't know how they are in terms of feel, forgiveness, and looks.

On the note of Tourstage, what are the differences between the Tourstage and Bridgestone US models of certain irons? The J40 CB looks very similar to the Tourstage X blades (I think that's the model), but I'm not sure what the actual difference are.

ifu like the precetps( i didnt even know what thye were) i had to look them up ...

but they are from bridgestone..

well if u like those then try the tourstages range. the tourstage like the miuras are differnt to the US than we get in japan. i have no clue of any miura USA model. except the 1957s. totalyl differnt to the ones here.

the 302s are superb stickstho, iunderstand ur thoughts long term on those...

a WTB add might just get u somehting interesting perhaps. ????

and ill tell u a set of older 301s................. they are a little less forgiving than the 302s ull def get for a good price.

check these out. i play these back in oz and they are mustard...........

non tour.. rounded look and suoer easy to play . workable. control got the mshafted with a set of these KBS protos in black nickel.. high long super soft to play ,awsoem sticks when long reef ground is sodden ..

these are LONG they must be 1 club longer than my usual sticks. the heads are superb

Tima, I suggest you wait and save up for the srixon Z725.

The yamaha V forged non tour model is also a great option.

If you want to stick with Bridgestone, the 905 cb is good set as well.

Be patient and save up for a home run!

ifu like the precetps( i didnt even know what thye were) i had to look them up ...

but they are from bridgestone..

well if u like those then try the tourstages range. the tourstage like the miuras are differnt to the US than we get in japan. i have no clue of any miura USA model. except the 1957s. totalyl differnt to the ones here.

the 302s are superb stickstho, iunderstand ur thoughts long term on those...

a WTB add might just get u somehting interesting perhaps. ????

and ill tell u a set of older 301s................. they are a little less forgiving than the 302s ull def get for a good price.

check these out. i play these back in oz and they are mustard...........

non tour.. rounded look and suoer easy to play . workable. control got the mshafted with a set of these KBS protos in black nickel.. high long super soft to play ,awsoem sticks when long reef ground is sodden ..

these are LONG they must be 1 club longer than my usual sticks. the heads are superb

What irons are those? They look nice in the cavity. From your description of them, they sound like they're right up my alley. How much can I find a used set of those for do you think?

Tima, I suggest you wait and save up for the srixon Z725.

The yamaha V forged non tour model is also a great option.

If you want to stick with Bridgestone, the 905 cb is good set as well.

Be patient and save up for a home run!

I don't have to have Bridgestone. I'm open to manufacturer so long as it fits my needs and looks good. I'll need to look into the Yamaha.

What about older model of fourteen irons, yonex cyber star ( currently in BST), prgr?

I'm not a big fan of the looks of the Fourteen and have hit them at a shop but they didn't feel like anything special. What model prgr would you recommend?

Trying to guess what suits your eye or your particular swing characteristics via the Internet is NOT the way to get properly fitted especially if this is your first experience with JDM gear. I would suggest, as I did, that you find a local fitter who carries a few JDM brands and talk to them and then hit the clubs. Doubly so if youre on a tight budget and can't afford to make a mistake. Most fitters will charge for the fitting but will give you a credit if you buy from them.

Swisstrader, I definitely understand your comment about getting fit for the clubs but the problem is that then the irons will have to be new and will cost considerably more than what I have to spend. That's why I'm looking at a relatively cost effective solution to getting started with JDM irons. If and when I decide to buy a new set, I will definitely get fit. In the meantime, I'm looking for recommendations.

Depending on your time frame to purchase, instead of asking for recommendations, scour the BST here or on other forums then do some searches of previous reviews on the irons and ask more specific questions about models. It doesn't make a lot of sense to get in to deep detail on something that you can't get on the used market.

Swisstrader, I definitely understand your comment about getting fit for the clubs but the problem is that then the irons will have to be new and will cost considerably more than what I have to spend. That's why I'm looking at a relatively cost effective solution to getting started with JDM irons. If and when I decide to buy a new set, I will definitely get fit. In the meantime, I'm looking for recommendations.

I think you're missing the point. You get fitted for a set of irons which allows you to try a bunch of JDM gear, you pay the fitter and say "thank you"! Then, you get onto TSG and search for what suits you best in the BST section and save yourself about 50%. Fitters deal with people all the time who just come in to get on a trakman or knowing people will buy elsewhere, but as long as you pay for their time, no problem for them. That way you get a custom fitting, no guess work about what will or won't work for you and at a great price.

the photos are yamaha 2009 inpres forged irons im sure some guys will have an older sets of yamahs lying baout they might want to upgrade.... doesnt have to be 2009.. all t he years are great just a differnt cavity design... i played all of the yamaha irons and these and they are all really good.

can not fault a yamaha

$8-900 is a plenty of $ to be able to pick up the set you want, in good used shape. Figure out what you really want and

be patient. They will show up.

Don't settle for any set. Figure out what you want and start watching the bst, ebay etc.

Thanks all for the advice. I think I may just have to wait a little more now since my son was born yesterday morning. I'm a proud papa that doesn't know when or how often he'll be playing in the near future. On the plus side, it'll give me a chance to do my research on what's available in my price range and read reviews. e Yamaha will definitely be on my short list. What's the difference between the tour and non models?