Epon 502 vs Epon 302

FrankThong

post-14489-0-61854500-1351314166.jpg

Epon 502 on Roddio i8 SR vs Epon 302 on Crazy LYI Neo S

A 10-point cut-to-the-chase comparison

1. 302 launches a tad higher, which contradicts what I've heard. Could be the shaft.

2. 502 plays half club longer (for me).

3. 302 hits softer, not sure if the copper and/or black finish have anything to do with it.

4. 502 face 'hotter'; can definitely feel the ball speeding off in an instant.

5. 302 is more 'workable', more feel; 502 has a bit off a DOI (dead on impact) sensation.

6. 502 is more satisfying, in audible and tactile terms, on those full-blooded solid-contact hits.

7. 302 is less forgiving on mis-hits, losing more distance on thin and other ugly shots.

8. LYI Neo is more lively; more kick, more fun.

9. i8 more stable; eating up the whacks and finesse shots without any hiccups (a local clubmaker/pro proclaimed the i8 best shaft he'd ever hit).

10. Copper is more princely, Black is more badass.

Great little review mate. I love the look of the copper. Can we have more piccies please, including the shafts :)

Tried 302 with DG200. Amazingly soft feel with mid to high launch. One of these days I'm gonna get a set of EPON irons...

For me it would be 302 everyday!

Nice review and great to see another copper 302.

Great little review mate. I love the look of the copper. Can we have more piccies please, including the shafts :)

Hey Ian, hope you're not holding your breath man, it'll be a while before I have more than a few minutes for proper golf stick piccies with a new baby in the house. ;)

Tried 302 with DG200. Amazingly soft feel with mid to high launch. One of these days I'm gonna get a set of EPON irons...

You won't regret it. Life's too short to wait too long.

For me it would be 302 everyday!

Can't go far wrong with that.

Nice review and great to see another copper 302.

Thanks!

Can 302s be refinished from the normal finish like mine have to copper or black?

Can 302s be refinished from the normal finish like mine have to copper or black?

I know a place that will plate in copper. Different than the copper finish from Epon I believe.

You can see what they look like after plating by checking out my old listing for Blade Golf in USDM BST...

"502 is more satisfying, in audible and tactile terms, on those full-blooded solid-contact hits"

That was the clincher for me in getting the 502's. Played today and as crappy as I played, my irons still saved me. Kept hitting it fat for some reason and even with that, net result was only 10 yards short and still straight as an arrow, so simply kept taking more club.

Great review overall...nice to have 2 great options.

I really think it can boil down to whether someone wants to adopt cutting edge technology and make the game easier or is more of a purist. For me, I wasn't hitting the 502 any better on the day I demo the clubs so I opted for the 302 due to it being more appealing to my eye at address and its more traditional technology.

I really think it can boil down to whether someone wants to adopt cutting edge technology and make the game easier or is more of a purist. For me, I wasn't hitting the 502 any better on the day I demo the clubs so I opted for the 302 due to it being more appealing to my eye at address and its more traditional technology.

Does the 502 have some new cutting edge technology? What is it?

Frank,

Glad that you are enjoying your new toys.

I know a place that will plate in copper. Different than the copper finish from Epon I believe.

You can see what they look like after plating by checking out my old listing for Blade Golf in USDM BST...

It's not quite the same, as from what I was told, the Epon finishing is done directly onto the 'raw' irons, as opposed to adding another finishing to the existing Epon finish on the club. Would that change the playing characteristics of the club, I wonder?

"502 is more satisfying, in audible and tactile terms, on those full-blooded solid-contact hits"

That was the clincher for me in getting the 502's. Played today and as crappy as I played, my irons still saved me. Kept hitting it fat for some reason and even with that, net result was only 10 yards short and still straight as an arrow, so simply kept taking more club.

Great review overall...nice to have 2 great options.

Wouldn't it be good if Epon made a 402, combining the best of the 302 and 502 eh? ;)

The 502 didn't appeal to me too when I chose the 302 first time round. But I guess I had my heart set on the 302 so really, I was just picking the faults of all other clubs I was trying. When I tried the 502 again with an open mind, I began to realize the difference, and positive ones at that, and I appreciated that. After having playing both (on the course, not just the range), I wouldn't say one is necessarily 'better' than the other. They're both great irons, better than anything I have gamed, and I've played a few. Like you said, the purist would appreciate the 302, while a practical golfer may prefer the 502.

Does the 502 have some new cutting edge technology? What is it?

Frank,

Glad that you are enjoying your new toys.

Hehe, I think I'd quit golf if there were no new toys anymore. ;) But these are good stuff.

The 502 is the chocolate lava cake of the golfing universe. They have some gel thing injected into the back of the face to give it some extra oomph. Apparently it is an amazing hi-tech feat with stories floating about of competitors buying and cutting up some 502s to learn how it's done. I have also heard some others have licensed that technology too.

The 502 is the chocolate lava cake of the golfing universe. They have some gel thing injected into the back of the face to give it some extra oomph. Apparently it is an amazing hi-tech feat with stories floating about of competitors buying and cutting up some 502s to learn how it's done. I have also heard some others have licensed that technology too.

Interesting. Didn;t know that. Wonder if this gel thing will harden over time ... but that is not a concern for you seeing how you like to change stuff :-)

They use an alpha gel which soften the feel off the face quite a bit as compare to their other series iron. I find it too soft and deaden the feel and don't like it too much but that's me as feel is very personal.

I defiantly don't feel it clicker than 302 as others have posted. If you like soft feeling iron, I don't think there is other iron softer than 502, and not to mention its very forgiving....

They use an alpha gel which soften the feel off the face quite a bit as compare to their other series iron. I find it too soft and deaden the feel and don't like it too much but that's me as feel is very personal.

I defiantly don't feel it clicker than 302 as others have posted. If you like soft feeling iron, I don't think there is other iron softer than 502, and not to mention its very forgiving....

Wow, that's completely opposite to what I am getting from these 2 irons. Again, not sure if the copper and black finishes have anything to do with it. Even so, I can't imagine it would be so drastically different.

I also felt like the 502's were the softest feeling irons out there...whether that's because of the technology with the gel or whatever, I don't care, just the fact that on impact it was the classic "marshmallow on a stick".

These things are also stupid forgiving...I should be severly punished, whipped with a wet noodle and had my toenails pulled for the swing I put on them yesterday and it was almost like an old friend trying to prop me up and say "here, let me help you you feeble soul"! And somehow I managed to salvage a decent round.

It's not quite the same, as from what I was told, the Epon finishing is done directly onto the 'raw' irons, as opposed to adding another finishing to the existing Epon finish on the club. Would that change the playing characteristics of the club, I wonder?

The copper is applied to th raw head... I just think it looks different. Not sure exactly what Epon is doing with this finish...

I love the LOOK of copper on irons, but have learned over the years that copper does not make the club any softer in terms of feel. Always thought it would but simply does not. Cool look but for me not much difference in playability.

I also love the look of copper but if platted copper, doubtful it will make much difference in terms of feel, especially on full swing.

I love the LOOK of copper on irons, but have learned over the years that copper does not make the club any softer in terms of feel. Always thought it would but simply does not. Cool look but for me not much difference in playability.

It's different for my Technica Pro Is. I have 2 sets - one in copper and one in satin chrome finish. Both are setup with same length, model and flex of shafts, grips and swing weight. As far as these 2 are concerned, the copper definitely feels softer to hit BUT the satin chrome while feeling a tad firmer on contact, spins more than the copper set.

Im also interested in this. Just bought a set from EponFreak

Im also interested in this. Just bought a set from EponFreak

Yes - Epon irons can be refinished....

I know this because I had my 301's refinished from my original order in black to the copper-chrome... (the black rusted too much in Thailand for my lazy liking ;-) )

The black did seem firmer at impact than the normal nickel or copper chrome, but this can just as well be due to slight sound differences etc due to the finish or even just a psychological thing due to the black looking indeed mighty bad ass@

7grass.jpg

I do not have any inside knowledge on how the copper chrome is done, but I understand a 'regular' nickel-chrome is a layer(s) of nickel deposited on to the raw head, then a layer(s) of chrome on top... the chrome layers being fairly transparent and you seeing the shiny underneath nickel. Epon's copper-chrome finish i would guess is some kind of nickel and copper mixture for that underneath layer below the outer protective chrome (and not a pure copper plate under the chrome... (i read somewhere that copper was very difficult to get a good coat and why Mizuno and others went away from the underlayer of a copper layer below the nickel-chrome in their older models...).

Anyway, the copper-chrome is fantastic. All the rust-free no maintenance of a regular nickel-chrome with looks to fall in love with. And those looks age just as beautifully... the Helen Mirren of golf club finishes.

With time it seems oxygen very gradually can diffuse in to the copper-chrome layer and allow it to 'quiten' down from the brand new 'flame' look to an equally good patina type finish....

spanky new

IMG_1082.jpg

old and lovely... no head covers ever used, plenty of time beating balls off mats etc

face.jpg

Must resist urge to get 302's in copper-chrome.... ;-)

coops