No love for Honma?

kaaayelll

Honma was probably my first introduction to JDM years ago. The irons always looked nice and intrigued me, but I only ever saw them paired with soft graphite shafts. Combined with the fact that they were way over my head at the time, I never tried them out

Anyway, I don't see much discussion of them here. Are they just tailored to a corner of the market not represented here, or is there another reason? Curious...

Most of Homma irons are cast, if memory serves me right. I got a few friends using Homma irons and I don't think they're worth the price they're selling for. Beside, Homma is now owned by a Chinese owner from what I hear.

I think viewed as "your fathers JDM" these days. There's still a market for them, and there are still people who love em, but more of a poser's iron or driver and prices to match. Also best suited to slower swingers of the golf club.

My club has quite a number of Korean members and a good number of them still using Honma, but most who do are over 60.

Hey, these guys are quite possibly the original club ho's around JDM gear...just a generation ahead of the internet! Who knows, may be our sons and daughter look at our Epons and Ryomas 20 years from now and just crack up. Nah!!

The new Honma S-02 lineup is forged, by Endo for that matter.

They are still popular but not so much with members of the forum.

However we do have many customers who swear by Honma and purchase year in year out when the new models arrive.

Only a few years ago when ARMRQ shafts were THE premium shaft of choice in Japan. I remember Shingo using them in the mid-2000s.

I don't think their sub-branding has done very much for their brand over the last few years. Although there have been some very nice Beres models. The Athport brand was a complete flop with terrible and cheap looking product.

I haven't seen too many Honma clubs in peoples bags recently in Japan, save a few iron sets. Mind you since all the Japanese baby boomers started to retire the 'premium' market has become very crowded.

They have old timer image. I still own a 3w persimmon. An older guy gave it to me when I was 12/13. He decided to never play again and gave his clubs to the young guys. I still pull it out once in a while. Shaft felt like ladies stiffness last time i played it, but the sound and feel are incredible. Especially the sound.

In the EU they're still quite popular. Its probably the only jdm brand people know of (not counting the uk of course)

I'm sure they make some good equipment but my god is some of it awful looking to my 30 something eyes. I can tell they gear towards the older crowd for sure. Saw some older Asian men playing at Ruffled Feathers a few weeks ago and they were all Honma'd out...way too much gold for my tastes.

Honma is still popular and around in the golf market, but I think there are so many new JDM companies and equipment coming out with just unbelievably good quality and appearance that it they get pushed off to the side. Everyone likes the "up and coming" and "latest and greatest" stuff. Honma has forged clubs like the S-02s, but it kind of gets mixed in with alot of their cast irons and don't have the "fresh looks" as some of the newer stuff coming out.