You Ask We Listen! The Official RomaRo Thread!!!

TourSpecGolfer

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice looking, count me interested.

Stunning looking club, helped by some great photography. Is this Tario' work or Chris'?

Wow that looks amazing. I think these guys are definitely going to be an up and coming force.

I ordered a RomaRo putter 2 weeks ago from TSG....first thing I've gotten from the brand. Hopefully I get it soon, anxious to put it in play before there's a blanket of snow.

Can't wait..... RomaRo seems to be heading in the right direction with the latest products and have certainly peak my interest to look into this brand more. To be honest, in the past, I would never have given them a second glance....

That is the Pro Forged... Did they do something new to it?

Don't get me wrong, damn near perfect for me, especially with the Tour Attas iron shaft. About the only thing lacking, to me, was it needs to be more compact, little bit higher CoG, and a thinner top line...

Of course I'm nit picking because that is what we do here...

Edited by RIduffer

Sexy irons but very unfair to have that quality of pics...makes our BST ads look like complete crap:)

Stunning looking club, helped by some great photography. Is this Tario' work or Chris'?

Chris took that one. I don't have a swimming pool in my backyard. (^_^)

Here are more pics that I took as well as useful writeups I did on some of the models I reviewed:

DSC_1457.jpg

DSC_1493.jpg

There are currently 4 models in Romaro's lineup as you can see in the above picture. All 4 models are forged and aimed at the better golfer to low handicap and pro player. Romaro prides itself on its original designs and quality materials and workmanship which really shows in its product line. Here is a short description of each iron and I have listed them from smallest/most advanced to largest/most forgiving.

Romaro Pro Forged: The Romoro Pro Forged iron is the flagship muscle back and aimed at the better player and low handicapper who wants the ultimate in soft feel and control. Premium forged from S25C then CNC machined and finished in a satin plating, the Pro Forged is clean and compact with very little offset and a straight and thin top blade. The Pro Forged has a slightly killed leading edge and a subtle amount of trailing edge relief. With its thick muscle back, the CG is higher which creates a more penetrating and stable ball with more spin. More traditional lofts for the player who wants control when attacking the pin.

Romaro Ray H: The Romaro Ray H is what we call a half cavity (hence the H) or some may also refer to it as a Neo Blade. Almost as small and compact as the Pro Forged, the Ray H sets up like a blade but provides cavity back like performance and ease of use. Like the Pro Forged it is premium forged from S25C, CNC machined and then plated in a durable satin finish. It is one great looking iron and can easily pass for a blade at address but the half cavity brings the CG down to aid launch. Because of this, the Ray H has 1* stronger lofts for the 6 7 8 9 and PW vs the Pro Forged. The Ray H is for the better player who wants a blade like sized iron and setup with cavity back like forgiveness.

Romaro Ray V: The Romaro Ray V is a smaller cavity back featuring a V Cut sole (hence the V). The Ray V is an advanced forged iron made made to perform with technology. Forged from S20C steel, the Ray V features not only an undercut cavity but also a TPU or Thermoplastic Urethane insert behind the face which helps dampen vibrations and control impact sound. The CG is placed lower thanks to the weight moving into the undercut cavity which features something Romaro calls a Power Frame which is the internally ribbed portion of the undercut cavity. Romaro designed the cavity this way to increase ball speeds and create more distance. With stronger lofts and lots of technology the Ray V will help the improving better golfer hit purer shots and gain more distance.

Romaro CX Forged: The new Romaro CX Forged is the largest head of all the models but player target wise its similar to the Ray V. This premium forged S25C iron features a wide sweet area thanks to a cavity featuring toe heel weighting using a hexagonal design. The iron is CNC machined and finished with a satin plating. The head is slightly rounder and taller than all the other Romaro irons and some may consider it midsized but interestingly the lofts are more traditional and the same as the Ray H. For those players wanting a pure forged iron but with forgiveness and easy launch as well as overall balanced performance, the CX forged is a great choice.

I will be testing and giving more detailed feedback on each iron but in the meantime here are pictures of the Romaro irons at address which give you a good idea of top line and offset. Look for Romaro in the pro shop this coming week as heads only or custom made to your specs!

romaro-address1.jpg

and Wedges:

romaro-wedge-slide.jpg

The other day I did a brief intro on Romaro's forged irons lineup and today I'll take a look at two of the wedges they sent me, the Ray VX and the Ray W. These will soon be joined in Romaro's lineup by the Ray SX and the Alcobaca wedge which are not out yet (I'll get demos closer to their release date in late April/early May). Like Romaro irons, all their wedges are forged and feature very nice shapes and

designs.

DSC_1669.jpg

The Ray VX is a smaller sized wedge with minimal offset. It is forged from S20C steel and finished in a satin chrome plating. The conforming grooves wedge features a tear drop style face shape and a V channel or triangle cut sole which increases versatility and allows more pure turf interaction for better impact in various conditions. The VX is available in 48/7 50/8 52/8 56/12 and 58/10 lofts and bounces.

P1050297.jpg

The Ray W model, is about the same size as the VX and is also a tear drop shaped head. It is forged from S25C and features an nice pearl like white boron plating. The bottom sole is rather flat but it has a killed leading edge and trailing edge relief and plenty of heel relief. The multi grind sole results in higher bounce which excels in lusher courses or for those who dig too much. The Ray W is available in 52/10 56/12 and 58/11 lofts and bounces. Let's take a look t the two wedges side by side.

romaro-wedge-sold.jpg

In the above picture of the wedge soles, with the VX on the left and the W on the right. You triangle cut sole and some heel relief on the VX while the W has even more trailing edge relief and a more blunted leading edge. Both will certainly excel on in various lies with the slightly wider sole and more bounce of the W doing well in soft conditions.

DSC_1658.jpg

At address both set up quite nicely and provide a tear drop like shape. The VX on the left is a bit taller on the heel side and a tad rounder in the top line. Both wedges feature 15 score lines and a slightly rounded leading edge. Both have pretty much straight necks but if I were to be picky, I'd say the VX has a tad more offset which could be an illusion from the rounder top line towards the heel. Either way better players will be happy with the way both look at address.

I did get out and hit a few with both wedges and both wedges feel great. They are soft and they have that ball compressing off the face feel that many of us like. The grinds are versatile and approaches around the green including chipping and opening up the face are done with ease. The W was very good in the bunkers with its slightly wider sole and higher bounce and the VX was no slouch either. I'm really looking forward to playing the newer Ray SX wedge as it looks amazing and I already have my eye on the new Alocaba 60*!

And UT:

DSC_2222.jpg

I took time out today to take a look at the Romaro Ray UT. While Titanium is pretty much what every driver is made of these days, and even titanium fairway woods becoming more and more common, Ti utilities are something we still don't see a lot of due to cost and design. Romaro however, decided to design and manufacture their Ray UT with a hot Titanium face and a sturdy 17-4 stainless body.

DSC_2233.jpg

At first glance the Romaro caught my attention for its aesthetically pleasing visuals and compact looking head. In fact the head is not that compact, it ranges from 122cc for the 18* to 116cc for the 27*. The Ray UT's design hides its size well and this is a big positive. The Ray UT is available in 18 21 24 and 27* lofts all with square face angles and lie ranging from 58.5* to 60*.

DSC_2238.jpg

The Ray UT is unique in that it offers a forged Titanium CUP face. The cup face allows for a larger sweet spot in all directions equaling less distance lost on miss hits. Romaro decided on a cross like sweet spot thicker in the center and thinner towards the outer walls. This type of design creates more rebound and increases ball speeds at impact. The face is mid height and certainly deep enough for using off the tee without a second thought. I really liked the feel at impact. It's not a metallic tink like some thin faced utilitys or fairway woods sound like but a soft yet solid feel which seems to be used to describe golf clubs. In other words the feel is very good as is the feedback.

DSC_2249.jpg

Another key aspect of the Ray UT head is the sole. A utility is used in many situations and many different lies and conditions. A versatile sole is a must and the Ray UT has been well thought out. It features a tapered V like channels on either side of the head and a multi level sole all which reduces friction and contact with the ground. This allows for better impact through a variety of conditions and we all know better impact equals more accurate shots and better distance. I tried the Ray UT here on the lush fairways of Kiminomori and in the deeper rough and it performed admirably with the with the sole working its way through to the ball and allowing the club not only create better impact but square impact. It is very straight and right on target.

DSC_2231.jpg

Looking at the Ray UT at address, you can see what I mean by the head looks compact. It is almost a mini elongated pear shape and the top line and face angle perfectly square. The contrasting score lines frame the ball very well and give a very clear target for the ball to strike. Teeing the ball up I felt very confident, the Ray UT definitely excels off the deck and off the tee and in both cases gets the ball in the air quick but produces a strong and stable trajectory.

DSC_2232.jpg

Golfers looking for a premium titanium utility don't have a lot to choose from. There is pretty much the Epon AF902 and this Romaro Ray UT. To compare the two, I think I actually prefer this Romaro. The Epon seemed big and longer from heel to toe (thanks to its shallower face) and while it does have a multi level sole as well, it doesn't appear as versatile as the Romaro. Because the Romaro is compact, I felt it was actually easier to hit it center. Teeing off with the Romaro definitely has the edge over the Epon. The Epon's edge is that the entire head is Ti and it really launches high and easy (though some may prefer the more stable and strong trajectory of the Romaro). One advantage that the Romaro has over the Epon is cost, it's a few hundred dollars cheaper. I came away quite impressed with the Ray UT. It will satisfy most better golfers yet is forgiving enough for the average golfer to give it a go. It sets up great and the sole is very versatile. The titanium face provides very good feel and feedback and the 21* I had hit it as far if not further than my RC TRC 20* UT even though the RC is a degree stronger and built a tad longer. I also like how the Romaro is available in 4 different lofts including a 27* meaning for a player playing a strong lofted set of irons, they could actually replace the 5i and 6i in the set with a 24* and 27* (yes I may actually do this).

and of course drivers!

460hxslide.jpg

For those who demand the best, there is no shortage of premium boutique style brands that produce top of the line drivers when it comes to design, materials and performance. From Epon to Crazy, and Kamui, and Baldo and most recently the new king of them all Ryoma, there are plenty to throw our money at. They all boast intricate designs, meticulous workmanship and most of all unparalleled performance when it comes to feel, ease of use and distance. We recently added Romaro Sports to our stable of high end brands and so far they have not disappointed. I have already briefly looked at their forged irons and wedges which were very impressive as well as their wonderful Titanium Ray UT. I just finished spending a week with their all new 460cc Ray 460HX Black and 460HX Gold drivers and I have to say, Ryoma has a challenge on its hands.

DSC_2346.jpg

Looks wise, the Romaro Ray 460HX models blow the Ryoma out of the water (at least in my opinion). Smooth black IP finish, clean lines and very nice aesthetics with simple but stylish graphics provide a very premium look. Much better in my opinion than the D-1 you find on the sole of the Ryoma. Romaro prides itself in quality and finish which is why on the 460HX Black they even stamp the words GRAND QUALiTY near the heel. I really like the way the drivers look. As the title and images suggest, there are two models. A Ray 460HX Black which is the conforming model and a Ray 460HX Gold which is a 0.88 Hi Cor Model.

DSC_2439.jpg

As you can see from the image of the 460HX Gold above, it looks pretty much like the 460HX Black save for the Gold Ray HX badge and gold paintfill. They share the same materials and design basis with the differences being, a higher spring effect or Hi COR face and more closed face angle as well as a slightly lighter head meant for longer club builds. So while they have distinguishing names in 460HX Black and 460HX Gold, they are in fact visually both Black heads with different accents.

DSC_2354.jpg

Both models utilize a beta titanium called SAT2041. The faces are forged and them chemically milled to produce variable thickness which expands the sweet area and minimizes distance loss on miss hits whether it be high or low or towards the toe or heel. SAT2041 is reasonably rigid which allows for thinner face areas without sacrificing strength and rebound. This does not however reduce the feel in anyway. The SAT2041 is soft but crisp a feel we all like in drivers like the Ryoma. Speaking of Ryoma, one of the reasons why it is so popular is its massive levels of forgiveness. I am happy to say that the Romaro 460HX models feel just as forgiving as their faces are huge with huge sweet spots to match.

DSC_2469.jpg

The Ray 460HX models use back weighting like the Ryoma but no where near the same weight nor is it placed as far back. Because of its placment, the CG is not as low in the Romaro's which actually create a lower spin flight and a stronger trajectory results in both optimal carry and run. The nice Ray HX badge you see on each head is in fact the back weight. On top of the back weight, Romaro designed what is called a Harmonized Fin System. The fin system sits in the center of that groove you see crossing through the badge. That groove is called a power ridge which increases the rigidity of the bottom of the drivers face. The HFS system uses 6 fins in a circular design which help absorb vibrations and stabilize the head at impact for maximum energy transfer.

DSC_2352.jpg

Unlike many distance and easy to use average golfer models today, the head is not flat and shallow. But rather deep faced and high back. Again this is a sign that the CG is not simply placed as low as possible. This driver launches strong and this has been a characteristic of all Romaro drivers. In tests that I have read and seen in Japan, many users and pro testers have noted, that Romaro drivers will not lose out to a head wind and are probably one of the strongest flying drivers out there.

DSC_2362.jpg

At address the Ray 460HX models are neither compact nor large. They are after all 460cc. I would say they look very comfortable at address. As you can see above, the 460HX Black 10* which is spec'ed as a square face angle pretty much looks that way. The 460HX Gold on the other hand is spec'ed as closed and it surely looks close to a 1* closed. The closed face angle on the Gold is to compensate for the slightly longer club length it is intended to have (46.25"). The longer the club gets, the harder can be for an average golfer to square the face. I hit both all week and the while I can pull shots, the slightly closed face of the 460HX Gold did not cause me many issues. It actually produce mostly soft draws which is a good thing.

DSC_2456.jpg

So the bottom line is how do these good looking heads perform. Lets say if this were a race, Ryoma, Epon, Crazy et al had better get use to seeing the back of the Romaro head as its a keeper. I firmly believe that Ryoma finally has a rival on its hands especially because the Ray 460HX also comes in a Non Conforming Hi Cor model. I had just shafted up my conforming Ryoma D-1 driver with Basileus Fiamma 50 R last week so I had the chance to hit it against both Ray 460HX heads which were sporting ordinary Romaro stock shafts. The Ray460HX Black which again is conforming, matched the Ryoma in overall distance but provided a much more favorable trajectory at least one I liked more. Given the 460HX Black tester is 10* and my Ryoma 10.5* it will naturally launch lower especially since these high end brands are always true to spec. However as I noted above, the trajectory was very strong. My Ryoma sometimes gets higher than I would like and runs less than I would like. The 460HX Black carried a touch less with its more penetrating trajectory but ran right up to similar spots as the Ryoma and sometimes even a tad more (reminder this is with the stock shaft).

DSC_23871.jpg

The Ray 460HX Gold on the other hand carried at least as far as the Ryoma if not more, and ran more out distancing the Ryoma by about 10 yards. What this means is the Romaro Ray 460HX Gold is already a challenger to the yet to be released Ryoma Special Tuning Hi Cor head (if it ever comes out). Forgiveness is very good as I miss towards the toe and shots were traveling straight or with a slight draw and still going pretty much just as far. I am planning on getting a 460HX Gold and building it with a Crazy Royal Decoration shaft at 46" as my new gamer.

Haha, I was selling a set of 10 (4-PW+AW+SW) Ray V forged heads 6 months ago here for a friend and had a tough time unloading them.

Are these available? We need to talk about an HX Black. I'm in love.

Oops checked the pro shop and saw them just never noticed before. Hmmmmmmmmm

Edited by MoreBeerBetterGolf

Haha, I was selling a set of 10 (4-PW+AW+SW) Ray V forged heads 6 months ago here for a friend and had a tough time unloading them.

If we all could take pictures like Chris or Tario, our BST will sell in no time at all....

Guys, here's a quick insight to what a friend of mine thinks of the New Romaro woods and ute:

"The Romaros are actually very good, in fact surprisingly so. The 3 wood is especially good into the wind and I found it longer than my friends Callaway driver when we played last weekend. Can't remember which driver it is but it has that new forged composite head so must be quite recent. Romaro was probably 30 yards further up the fairway which was very good to see since we both used to be about the same length with our drivers.

The 5 wood is equally good but the hybrid is probably the best of the lot. The driver is very long but took a bit of getting used to as it has a very curved face and needs to be a bit closed at address otherwise the ball slices off for miles! It wasn't just me who found this but everybody who tried it (handicaps from 6 to 14)."

My friend buys all his JDM from TSG.

I was asked by a friend recently what I thought of my H Blades. I think I summarised it as such;

The performance of a Miura Baby Blade (with more forgiveness) and the feel of an Epon AF Tour with more workability! Simply the best irons I have ever used and I have had pretty much every top end iron!!!! Obviously, the shaft is the engine, but the heads are wonderful.

Highly recommended

Pete

Nice feedback Pete! I love my Miura 1957 blade as it is now but with that added forgiveness & feel of an Epon made me think of adding a new set of iron.

How is the look of the Romaro H compared to the Miura?

So I have played the Pro Forged irons, a couple of their wedges, the utility clubs and the iBrids. All of them are stellar performers in their own right. Would agree with Pete on the comparison to the BB, but I think RomaRo are better all around. The utilities play similarly to the Epon 902, a little bit more hollow sound at impact, but the get the ball going nicely. The iBrids are another top notch club. More workable than the utes and not as prone to a hook. Lastly, have a a pair of the SX wedges and an Alcobaca. They play much firmer than the irons would lead you to believe but they deliver on performance.

Nice feedback Pete! I love my Miura 1957 blade as it is now but with that added forgiveness & feel of an Epon made me think of adding a new set of iron.

Jonathan, I think the pictures speak for themselves... a great looking iron.

post-8383-0-13274800-1351862520.jpg

post-8383-0-60235700-1351862522.jpg

post-8383-0-83247200-1351862525.jpg

As you look down on the ball, they look very simple, very little offset and a thin top line. The heel relief seems a little higher than a BB. Obviously, the game improvement technology makes the back of the club seem more busy but the work is beautifully done. The quality is first rate. The sole is thin with both leading and trailing edge relief. I have had no issues with the clubs on both tight and thick lies.

It was originally my intention to get the Tour blades but after hitting a mates H blade 4 iron, I ordered 4 to PW in the H blade design. The short irons are simply wonderful. I wish I could get a H blade gap wedge as I really love the look of them.

I'm a bit busy at the moment (getting ready to move from Brisbane to Hobart) but I will try and post some photo's of my set up soon. They look schmick with the TT Monaco's.

pete

Romaro produces some great quality. Workability is and feel that is reliable and consistent. Even with the cavity backs (Ray V) you almost forget that it is a cavity back at address. All sets up very solid and definitely makes you feel like a "player", even with all the technology that adds forgiveness.

Let's start with the RomaRo CX Forged cavity back. This sucker reminds me of the TourStage MR-23 for some reason.

I would categorize it bigger than the Yamaha Tour Model CB's yet smaller than the Epon 301/302. The feeling is softer less firm no doubt, to each is own in this area. It's going to be weeks until we can provide a full review. We shot some video and whacked these around at the range quite a bit. Top Notch! Delicious feel!

gallery_0_4_108449.jpg

Below some setup pics. the toe is a bit rounded which we are told has something to do with CG placement. the MB and the Ray V's have sharper toes.

gallery_0_4_125558.jpg

Sole is pretty thin just right for me. what do you guys think?

gallery_18_4_98045.jpg

Check out this undercut. It's got some clean edges that have been CNC'd and smoothed out. Lots of good manufacturing here.

gallery_0_4_179477.jpg

gallery_0_4_54432.jpg

gallery_0_4_167892.jpg

Top line is a bit more rounded as well.

gallery_18_4_117926.jpg

Let's start with the RomaRo CX Forged cavity back. This sucker reminds me of the TourStage MR-23 for some reason.

I would categorize it bigger than the Yamaha Tour Model CB's yet smaller than the Epon 301/302. The feeling is softer less firm no doubt, to each is own in this area. It's going to be weeks until we can provide a full review. We shot some video and whacked these around at the range quite a bit. Top Notch! Delicious feel!

gallery_0_4_108449.jpg

Below some setup pics. the toe is a bit rounded which we are told has something to do with CG placement. the MB and the Ray V's have sharper toes.

gallery_0_4_125558.jpg

Sole is pretty thin just right for me. what do you guys think?

gallery_18_4_98045.jpg

Check out this undercut. It's got some clean edges that have been CNC'd and smoothed out. Lots of good manufacturing here.

gallery_0_4_179477.jpg

gallery_0_4_54432.jpg

gallery_0_4_167892.jpg

Top line is a bit more rounded as well.

gallery_18_4_117926.jpg

Now that there CB is just golf porn. I can't take anymore!