Any Truth To This?

Mjr. D

I do look to see whether certain clubs are made in Japan or not but it does not prevent me from buying JDM that are made in other part of the world. Case in point is that I have Epon and Ryoma drivers (all made in Japan?) but I also love playing my Gloire, especially now re-shafted with a Fire Express. For sure the Gloire, regardless of its higher price, is made in China and I have no problem with it. I also demo'ed the 2012 OnOff Red irons in the Golf Show and it felt great yet it is also made in China.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Omg! I just looked up who this guy inpresX was...

I forgot who we were talking about. He was looking for a HCR club under 200 bucks, only buys clone irons and did in fact question the authenticity of our clubs. We've been had.

Below are his insightful comments from last week:

I play clone irons heads made by gigagolf and get exactly the same performance out of them as the expensive brands. Irons are really just blocks of milled steel and there's been little advances in technology in recent years. Anybody can forge or cast a block of steel and mill it out.

The reason I want a 2005 hi cor driver is because that was the last year that they were legal and even the pros were using them. Post 2005 hi cor models are just niche products made for cheaters.

What a piece of work, cmon man.

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeet i just had a pop at him on the other site, damn!

what awaste of 27 seconds of my life. im going to retract that so idont give IT any more fuel

The fakes are getting brazenly good now.

This guy should be beaten to death with his

A1 copy clones. I'd personally buy one of his clones

With the condition that I can shove it up his cheating a55

I hate counterfeiters

I hate counterfeiters

Yeah what he said.

Can someone put a little top 5 or top 10 companies most likely to be CONSISTENTLY forged, assembled, etc in JAPAN.

Obviously Epon is #1 as they've never been forged or assembled anywhere but Japan.

Would Miura fit this bill as well?

From reading this post it sounds like Yamaha forges and assembles the majority of their clubs in Japan.

What other companies?

Personally, I buy JDM equipment because i'm told it's superior in terms of materials, feels, and to some degree, performance. I also buy it because it's exclusive and fun. I'm not going to lie, it's a little disappointing to hear a fair amount of gear is forged or assembled in China and Taiwan. Just looses a little of the Mystique. Blind test would I be able to notice a difference in a club forged assembled with high quality control, in China or Taiwan compared to Japan. Highly HIGHLY doubtful. Still, kills a little of the mystique.

I hate counterfeiters

That was my initial point. My fear that outsourcing (and I don't mean epon) unleashes a whole new beast of fakes. Good fakes. I don't have the eye for spotting so I'm a target.

There's a pretty easy solution to this. Serial numbers one can easily check. Drivers more often than not have them. Epon 7 irons have them.

A 24 hour tool to verify them would be great (if feasable). I'd be willing to spend a little more for the product if that service was added.

That was my initial point. My fear that outsourcing (and I don't mean epon) unleashes a whole new beast of fakes. Good fakes. I don't have the eye for spotting so I'm a target.

There's a pretty easy solution to this. Serial numbers one can easily check. Drivers more often than not have them. Epon 7 irons have them.

A 24 hour tool to verify them would be great (if feasable). I'd be willing to spend a little more for the product if that service was added.

Il discuss this in. Couple of days. The strictest countermeasures are always vulnerable if you

Have a creative, willing and technologically capable counterfeiter with deep pockets

Omg! I just looked up who this guy inpresX was...

I forgot who we were talking about. He was looking for a HCR club under 200 bucks, only buys clone irons and did in fact question the authenticity of our clubs. We've been had.

Below are his insightful comments from last week:

I play clone irons heads made by gigagolf and get exactly the same performance out of them as the expensive brands. Irons are really just blocks of milled steel and there's been little advances in technology in recent years. Anybody can forge or cast a block of steel and mill it out.

The reason I want a 2005 hi cor driver is because that was the last year that they were legal and even the pros were using them. Post 2005 hi cor models are just niche products made for cheaters.

I only just read the wrx thread. Wow. He doesn't claim tsg sell fakes, but he certainly does imply it! Plonker. This guy is playing the innocent middle man sharing his research. To me he comes across as a sly and shady salesman just plugging that fake website. So he's implying everybody sells fakes, might as well buy fakes at fake prices.

Il discuss this in. Couple of days. The strictest countermeasures are always vulnerable if you

Have a creative, willing and technologically capable counterfeiter with deep pockets

Cool.

See how with attas Tourspx shafts you need an email address to get the specs? I liked that.

Cool.

See how with attas Tourspx shafts you need an email address to get the specs? I liked that.

You will also get a printout from the builder with the specs on them...

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.. actually RI... using my former example of thailand forged VS niigata forged..

the fourteen tc1000s, while being ENDO forged.... vs thier other head ,say the TB1000 stil lsell at a premium, so theres def an example of that..he

BUT

against other ENDO niigata forged heads they are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper, beceause i think..., (obv theres a more reasons) but bec they are NOT made in japan

and that what the locals here think....

dont stone me for this.. but its dead true.

otherwise the eqiuvalent say yamahas, or epons would be simialr price..

but they most certianly are not.

Not saying not to sell at a premium and to varying degrees based on manufacture vs assembly vs design. Just that I don't want to have to parse the words and then do research that is sometimes impossible to complete. I want the words to tell me the truth and be meaningful. Sometimes the price alone from a mfg. is enough to indicate.

A hypothetical: Epon were to sell two clubs both called Personals V2. One was stamped "made by EPON" and sold for $1200 and the was stamped "made in Japan" and sold for $1400.

I am perfectly happy for that. Although would prefer to have different models. Those that are satisfied with the Brand reputation would go after the cheaper iteration. Those that are into it for other reasons can spend the extra. But consumers would be able to imply by the stamp, not have to research Endo factory production schedules that are not published.

Not trying to pick on Epon, just using the name for example purposes...

My clubs could be made on Pluto...all I care about is how they perform.

Not sure why people get so hung up on WHERE their clubs are made or what specific country any part of production or design is outsourced to. Some dudes get off on sleuthing around looking for a "gotcha" moment that not every part of production is done in Japan. Boring

The high price of JDM has an awful lot to do with the strength of the Yen. Just look up the price of the yen in 2005 versus now and do the math. In the last few years many Endaka (high yen) golf shops have sprung up all through Japan selling essentially 'grey' imported goods from the US and Europe and rock bottom prices.

This has led to the US manufacturer's Japanese subsidiaries, in particular TM, Callaway and Titleist, coming out with more and more JDM versions of their products to try and hold onto their margins in the face of very cheap imports. In the early 2000s Callaway and TM would essentially just put a slightly softer flex shaft in their products for JDM distribution, bar the odd model. Whilst Titleist just put out their stuff as was and targeted low handicappers. Not saying that this new JDM stuff isn't premium. It is!

With regards to the 'made in ...' stamp the different countries have very different rules as to what can and can't be put on the clubs. The Japanese system is very convoluted with manufacturers having to put on club made here, grip made here, head cover made here etc.

My clubs could be made on Pluto...all I care about is how they perform.

Not sure why people get so hung up on WHERE their clubs are made or what specific country any part of production or design is outsourced to. Some dudes get off on sleuthing around looking for a "gotcha" moment that not every part of production is done in Japan. Boring

I'd love a set of made on pluto.

I'd love a set of made on pluto.

They contain kryptonite, so not sure you should be handling, although if I recall my Marvel Comic books, could be from the planet of Krypton, so not from this galaxy.

Do they need to stamp their clubs "made from this universe?"

Edited by swisstrader

"Assembled in Milky Way Galaxy by incredibly talented space gnats under the watchful eye and policies of Endo Forging"

They contain kryptonite, so not sure you should be handling, although if I recall my Marvel Comic books, could be from the planet of Krypton, so not from this galaxy.

Do they need to stamp their clubs "made from this universe?"

No mate. Made on Pluto only. I don't want any of that Uranus crap mixed with it. Uranus is too close to be good.

"Assembled in Milky Way Galaxy by incredibly talented space gnats under the watchful eye and policies of Endo Forging"

That's what mine say...............

I e-mailed Endo directly and asked where Epon and Yamaha irons were made. He replied that they can't tell me as their business practice prevents it. I don't know if this is normal, but I responded back that as a JDM enthusiast, I want to know where my stuff is made. Especially when paying premium prices. Just like my cars. I know that my MB GL550 is made in the states and it doesn't bother me THAT much. Well, it kinda does....at least I know my CL600 was made in Germany. But at least they tell you where they're made. Maybe it doesn't matter and they use the same high standards as in their Japanese factories, who knows. I just kinda like the thought of my JDM stuff being made in Japan. The world is shrinking, guess we're gonna have to deal with it.

I e-mailed Endo directly and asked where Epon and Yamaha irons were made. He replied that they can't tell me as their business practice prevents it. I don't know if this is normal, but I responded back that as a JDM enthusiast, I want to know where my stuff is made. Especially when paying premium prices. Just like my cars. I know that my MB GL550 is made in the states and it doesn't bother me THAT much. Well, it kinda does....at least I know my CL600 was made in Germany. But at least they tell you where they're made. Maybe it doesn't matter and they use the same high standards as in their Japanese factories, who knows. I just kinda like the thought of my JDM stuff being made in Japan. The world is shrinking, guess we're gonna have to deal with it.

I believe the answer to your question was in his non-answer.

It's pretty clear that Epon and Yamaha irons could be made in either Japan or one of their foreign plants. It actually says a lot though if Epon trusts their foreign foundries to produce perhaps the 2 most prized and revered iron brands in the world. Including their own house brand. Not that that assuages your feelings of being somewhat misled.

I believe the answer to your question was in his non-answer.

That's exactly what I thought.

95% of us are here because we want to know more about JDM golf products. the info and discussions are what has kept TSG alive for 7-8 (?) years. When we ask questions here or spend time to email the company that is research into the product.

It's not that hard to do and you become confident in the product more than just the "made in".