Putter Selection... Does It Matter?

haidenbaker

Putting Performance Factors  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think the main putting performance factor is?

• Golfer's ability to read the greens
    • Putter and ball type / quality
    • Wind speed

G'day... first time poster so just wanted to say Hi, Hi.

I have been out and bought new irons, wedges a hybrid and a driver but didn't get around to getting a new putter. I was just wondering, and then thought I'd raise the questions, how much do you think the actual putter influences your putting performance??

Surely as long as the face of the putter is flat they are all going to hit the ball in the same direction... and then I would assume the weight and feel of the putter is something the golfer would get used to and could manage the strength of their put for distance.

Then lastly as I'm sure you will all agree, the main factor is the golfers ability to read the greens right?

Let me know your thoughts

ability to judge distance and speed

and most of all feel. i dont beleive in being mechanical in putting

putting style and stroke natural to the individual

putter to suit the individual's putting stroke''

game within the game

Yup...agree w Carlo. It's all about feel and most importantly confidence.

Don't ever let anyone mess with your particular putting stroke. It's also all about what feels "right" for you in terms of confidence standing over the ball. Individual taste in terms of mallet vs blade vs something very unique to you. Whatever feels right

Pick a putter that suit your stroke and gives you the most confident in rolling the ball into the hole. Shaft offset, lie, loft, length, shape of head, weight of head, helps in a way it can let you be as natural as possible when stroking the ball.

After that it,s all practice, practice and practice......

Golf is a game of confidence... heck there's even a book titled that way.

Never more true than on the greens IMO. If a person is confident in their stroke, abiliities and putter, then I don't care if you're putting with a 2x4, you'll make putts.

If that's the case... why do I spend a ton of money on putters?

They gain me confidence.

I've been through all the brands, rep'd for a company, etc. I've settled on Bettinardis for several reasons. Love the variety of models. Respect and appreciate those associated with the Company. However, the biggest is that I've been on the manufacturing floor. I've seen the machines. I've taked to the people who operate them. I have seen first hand the tolerances in which they work under. Knowing all this gives me confidence that the putter I have in my hands will perform as it should and give me the best opportunity to make the putt. Knowing this, leaves the rest up to me.

For me its all putter design and ball. I tend to putt best with a blade because to me, it has the most feel. With some of these big mallets, I feel that the heavier headweight kills the feel and makes it much more difficult for me to get the speed right.

Also, the ball is important because different balls make a different sound at impact and that too effects perception of feel.

For me it is all confidence and a putter's look, setup, and feel. Everyone talks about SBST, arc, toe hang, etc. I tend to adapt quickly to different styles but perhaps if I was a pro I would stick with one and really perfect my swing style. I don't think it is so cut and dried on swing type versus putter type. A decent player with some feel with be able to make putts with a variety of styles in my opinion.

I have tried most every type and found that in general, I lag way better with blade style putters than I do with mallets. On the other hand, my short putts are more true with mallets on flatter greens. On undulating greens, I make more with a blade. But at the end of the round, I find essentially no difference on the score card regardless of putter style.

Now within styles there is a large difference. I had a brief affair with a Miura KM-350 late this summer in which I lagged perhaps the best I ever have in my life, but I was worthless on short putts and it seemed to keep getting worse the longer I had it. The ultra small head and short toe length had me subconsciously changing my swing and becoming way too handsy. It got to a point where I had more of a chance of sinking a 25' putt than a 7' putt it seemed. I also had a Rife 2 bar mallet for a season that was the Miura equivalent of mallet putters. Just couldn't do anything well with it, and it messed me up for a while going forward.

I have never been more of a believer of choosing a club based on looks and confidence than what I am now. It is the exact principle that steers me away from clubs with large offset, chunky toplines, busy designs, etc.

Hey Guys, thanks so much for your feedback. I think I'm definitely going to go with "the feel". I will have to get out there, try a few different types and weights then once I feel comfortable with one type I'll narrow in on the best model.

Once again guys, thanks, greatly appreciated... hopefully I can eliminate those 3 putts haha

Golf is a game of confidence... heck there's even a book titled that way.

Never more true than on the greens IMO. If a person is confident in their stroke, abiliities and putter, then I don't care if you're putting with a 2x4, you'll make putts.

If that's the case... why do I spend a ton of money on putters?

They gain me confidence.

I've been through all the brands, rep'd for a company, etc. I've settled on Bettinardis for several reasons. Love the variety of models. Respect and appreciate those associated with the Company. However, the biggest is that I've been on the manufacturing floor. I've seen the machines. I've taked to the people who operate them. I have seen first hand the tolerances in which they work under. Knowing all this gives me confidence that the putter I have in my hands will perform as it should and give me the best opportunity to make the putt. Knowing this, leaves the rest up to me.

Hey J: ever get a custom fitting from the folks at Bettinardi?

• 4 months later...

I had a putting lesson about 12 months ago with a reputable "putting coach". He determined:

1. I need a shorter putter
  2. I need a face-balanced putter
  3. I need an offset putter due to left eye dominance
  4. I need a double bend shaft

So I did all of the above and watched my putting stats deteriorate further.

Moral to the story. Go with feel. Find a natural routine matched with a putter you like and just stay with it!

Dazza agreed completely

Todayniused 2 anser styles and they went fine

Last week 2blades they wentnfine

I now take a blade an anser and aweird one every week

The one i hit best o nthe green beforemthe match i gowith

Sometimes its the zen or razor sometimes the long neck hiro

Sometimes the axis of eagle

Dont care as. Long as it gets close

Feel 100 pct of my short game

Dazza agreed completely

Todayniused 2 anser styles and they went fine

Last week 2blades they wentnfine

I now take a blade an anser and aweird one every week

The one i hit best o nthe green beforemthe match i gowith

Sometimes its the zen or razor sometimes the long neck hiro

Sometimes the axis of eagle

Dont care as. Long as it gets close

Feel 100 pct of my short game

I do something similar stew, Neo, Anser, Center Shaft mallet the one who behaves gets to go out on a date. I've had a very hard time with L putters and have been told its my back and fourth stroke leaving the face open thats why CS is a big help to me. Currently RomaRo Barque CS, not the prettiest thing but it's been curing me of many 3 putt a round.

I also really suggest for everyone to have their putters lie and loft adjusted to make sure your putter is near parallel to the ground and your hitting it where you want on the face and also loft because its just such a big deal, based on our strokes some people can get great roll while others bad roll from the very same putter. It's not the putter many times it's the specs.

Putting is all about feel & confidence BUT you can only get those if you have the correct specs i.e. loft/lie angle, balance, head weight, total weight, and even grip could affect your stroke.

I do something similar stew, Neo, Anser, Center Shaft mallet the one who behaves gets to go out on a date. I've had a very hard time with L putters and have been told its my back and fourth stroke leaving the face open thats why CS is a big help to me. Currently RomaRo Barque CS, not the prettiest thing but it's been curing me of many 3 putt a round.

I also really suggest for everyone to have their putters lie and loft adjusted to make sure your putter is near parallel to the ground and your hitting it where you want on the face and also loft because its just such a big deal, based on our strokes some people can get great roll while others bad roll from the very same putter. It's not the putter many times it's the specs.

absolutely YES...!

when ive goe in to my club builder to get the new refurbs re shafted he adjust the weight in the shaft tip AND looks at the loft and lie on every putter.

hes had to micro adjust MOST used putters i had bec they havnt been right.

im not allwed to elave before they are perfect for me.

my putters are pretty much all 34 inch now . i came up 1/2 inch when i started cross handed puttting

its made a pretty good differnce so far.

not pushing anywhere near as many now

• 2 weeks later...

Of course being able to read the line is a prerequisite to holing the putt (no matter how good your putter or stroke the ball isn't going to drop if you hit it in the wrong direction) so that has to be the number 1 factor in putting performance. But reading the line isn't going to help if you can't consistently hit the ball on the line you've read and are trying for or if you do so with too much/too little weight so getting the right putter for you is a very close second

• 1 year later...

G'day... first time poster so just wanted to say Hi, Hi.

I have been out and bought new irons, wedges a hybrid and a driver but didn't get around to getting a new putter. I was just wondering, and then thought I'd raise the questions, how much do you think the actual putter influences your putting performance??

Surely as long as the face of the putter is flat they are all going to hit the ball in the same direction... and then I would assume the weight and feel of the putter is something the golfer would get used to and could manage the strength of their put for distance.

Then lastly as I'm sure you will all agree, the main factor is the golfers ability to read the greens right?

Let me know your thoughts

FIRST : THE PUTTER FACE IS NOT FLAT.

The putter face is not flat. The putter will be between 2.5* and as much as 4.5* loft, with the higher lofts more common amongst the old putters. The higher the loft, the more usefull the putter on slow, poorly maintained greens. The lower the loft the more it needs to be used on fast and very well maintained greens. I consider 3.5* best all around but others have different preferences.

The higher lofts are, as a general rule, easier to learn with. You can feel this when you try it out because the ball will roll more easily and point better. It's rather unfortunate that such data is neither marked or very well published, so you need to rely upon your personal feel. That's difficult especially for new guys because everything feels difficult for the new guy and he more often resorts to relying upon reputation, price and bling. A putter is a very personal choice and the ability to feel it's performance under different conditions is important.

SECOND : YES YOU CAN GET USED TO A PUTTER

However, regardless that you get to knowing that putter well and can use it well, somewhere inside you is that tiny feeling of discomfort that is not going to be there when you find the right putter for you. There will no longer be a need to do compensating grips or funny balances with the muscles of your feet. It is not magic, it's just finding something that feels and works better in your hands and you will know it when you find it.

When you think about it, there really is no reason for a player to fail to putt a straight line or have reasonable control of the distance strength or the putt. The putt is so easy that there are a ton and more of individual techniques and they all manage to roll the ball. If you find a way to putt straight and control distance, be happy and stay with it because that is the difficult part. However that does not mean you stay with that putter forever. The next one might truly feel and play better, so keep on trying.

THIRD : THE READ IS IMPORTANT

You need to learn to read because everytime the ball finds the green, even if it's the same old green, the read is going to be new. Regardless, reading isn't everything to putting. It's very important but finding the right putter, as evidenced by the vast collections of top golfers, is also very important, and they really are already so good that it's easy to believe they can putt with everything. Personally I've seen John Daly putt with a three iron and hit a putter 180 yards, more or less. Common tricks for the pro but fun to watch regardless, and surprising to see Daly do it. :tsg_smilie_smile2:

Shambles

FIRST : THE PUTTER FACE IS NOT FLAT.

The putter face is not flat. The putter will be between 2.5* and as much as 4.5* loft, with the higher lofts more common amongst the old putters. The higher the loft, the more usefull the putter on slow, poorly maintained greens. The lower the loft the more it needs to be used on fast and very well maintained greens. I consider 3.5* best all around but others have different preferences.

The higher lofts are, as a general rule, easier to learn with. You can feel this when you try it out because the ball will roll more easily and point better. It's rather unfortunate that such data is neither marked or very well published, so you need to rely upon your personal feel. That's difficult especially for new guys because everything feels difficult for the new guy and he more often resorts to relying upon reputation, price and bling. A putter is a very personal choice and the ability to feel it's performance under different conditions is important.

SECOND : YES YOU CAN GET USED TO A PUTTER

However, regardless that you get to knowing that putter well and can use it well, somewhere inside you is that tiny feeling of discomfort that is not going to be there when you find the right putter for you. There will no longer be a need to do compensating grips or funny balances with the muscles of your feet. It is not magic, it's just finding something that feels and works better in your hands and you will know it when you find it.

When you think about it, there really is no reason for a player to fail to putt a straight line or have reasonable control of the distance strength or the putt. The putt is so easy that there are a ton and more of individual techniques and they all manage to roll the ball. If you find a way to putt straight and control distance, be happy and stay with it because that is the difficult part. However that does not mean you stay with that putter forever. The next one might truly feel and play better, so keep on trying.

THIRD : THE READ IS IMPORTANT

You need to learn to read because everytime the ball finds the green, even if it's the same old green, the read is going to be new. Regardless, reading isn't everything to putting. It's very important but finding the right putter, as evidenced by the vast collections of top golfers, is also very important, and they really are already so good that it's easy to believe they can putt with everything. Personally I've seen John Daly putt with a three iron and hit a putter 180 yards, more or less. Common tricks for the pro but fun to watch regardless, and surprising to see Daly do it. :tsg_smilie_smile2:

Shambles

I like this thank you.

1. 3.5 loft in one putter does not mean 3.5 will work in a different design for you. If the loft is not designed for the particular model it will probably skip. Also the right way to do loft is to mill loft, never allow a decent putter be bent for loft.

2. Totally agree, I go from mallet to answer and center shaft to plumbers quite often. Once one goes stale the other is there to take it's place. Only issue is if your two rotation putters are too similar to each other this little break doesn't work as well.

3. Spot on! away from the mountain, toward the ocean, toward the sun, did it rain? the moon and gravity? Thanks mother earth for screwing with us.

• 1 month later...

hold the fort...........

HOLD THE FORT...!!!!

ive f found THE putter of putters..

attachicon.gifal-czervik-putts.jpg

friggin hilarious! What Gold's could do w/ this is off the charts ;)

Edited by needmoregolf

First time poster so well, so Hi!!!

Yes putter selection ultra important!!! Sure u need to have the right loft, lie angle, length, head weight, balance and grip weight and type as these are the obvious ones and the type of material its made from will affect feel.

A common overlooked area is the shape of the head, how much offset there is and the actually hosel type. These things affect how the putter swings and how u line it up.

For me like my putter at around 33" with 3* loft, 71* lie and half neck offset.

Good luck with your search.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

hold the fort...........

HOLD THE FORT...!!!!

ive f found THE putter of putters..

attachicon.gifal-czervik-putts.jpg

How good is that RAM bag and "Hey Wang Don't tell them your jewish".

• 4 months later...

Moved this here from another part of the forum:

I have a few decent putters, but of all clubs I have in the bag, the putter is the least important for me. I put ok, but will put decently with more or less any putter, if I get a few minutes on a putting green to get used to the feel. Also, I've had/have SCs, Bettinardi, Rife, Ping etc and I can see no performance benefits using a 'high end' putter. I feel that as long as there is a flat surface on a square lump of metal, I could use that and probably putt just as well? Unlike other clubs that will benefit from technology because they travel at 100+ mph, a putter is usually used just for a little 'tap'?

I get a distinct feeling it's about bling, looks and collecting when it comes to putters, more so than other clubs.

Putting is all about feel & confidence BUT you can only get those if you have the correct specs i.e. loft/lie angle, balance, head weight, total weight, and even grip could affect your stroke.

I actually disagree, I'm sure you, or anyone, could use a square lump of metal with a flat face with standard loft and lie at 34 inches, spend 10 minutes on a putting green with it, and go out and put exactly as good (or bad) as you do with a custom made fitted putter. Otherwise, why do people switch putters even AFTER they have been custom fit to the highest level? It's not like there is some new tech coming out, you won't wear a putter out too.