Putter Selection... Does It Matter?

haidenbaker

Putting Performance Factors  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think the main putting performance factor is?

• Golfer's ability to read the greens
    • Putter and ball type / quality
    • Wind speed

Moved this here from another part of the forum:

I have a few decent putters, but of all clubs I have in the bag, the putter is the least important for me. I put ok, but will put decently with more or less any putter, if I get a few minutes on a putting green to get used to the feel. Also, I've had/have SCs, Bettinardi, Rife, Ping etc and I can see no performance benefits using a 'high end' putter. I feel that as long as there is a flat surface on a square lump of metal, I could use that and probably putt just as well? Unlike other clubs that will benefit from technology because they travel at 100+ mph, a putter is usually used just for a little 'tap'?

I get a distinct feeling it's about bling, looks and collecting when it comes to putters, more so than other clubs.

I think you are right about bling but remember that that tiny tap costs just as much as the 100 mph swing in strokes. On the norm you consume about a third of your score on 18 holes with that tiny tap. You'll actually reach for the putter more often than for any other club, unless you are having a truly bad day. If you are going to use a club that often, isn't it a good thing to have one that feels right to your hand and eye ?

Shambles

Edit

Edited by Vegaman

• 3 weeks later...

I am surprised by the fact that I can get used to any style of putter and not notice a difference in my results. I prefer mallets, but putt equally as well with: blade, anser style, or half mallet. I kind of bought into the fact that each of these putter styles match a certain stroke, but I really can't notice a significant difference in performance when I play with each of these. I also thought that toe hang vs. face balanced would have to be important, but again, I can't say that I putt better with one than another.

Even the smallest factors in putting cause a change.

You may not see it because you don't know what to look for or your not getting fit properly.

1-2 grams changes your stroke on camera

the degree of toe drop changes your result

the weight changes your stroke causing you to loop or not loop

and all that is outside of roll.

So there are many changes but the question is will you notice them.

Even the smallest factors in putting cause a change.

You may not see it because you don't know what to look for or your not getting fit properly.

1-2 grams changes your stroke on camera

the degree of toe drop changes your result

the weight changes your stroke causing you to loop or not loop

and all that is outside of roll.

So there are many changes but the question is will you notice them.

^^^ This.

You won't notice unless you're on a SAMs puttlab or some other fitting device that can accurately measure. i've only done SAM twice now. The second time I did it I had an adjustable putter at our disposal. Recent (Jan 2015) SAM Puttlab fitting Example (the shortened version, I have all the data if you don't believe me):
1. My putter specs - 35" putter, 71*. 3or4* loft (can't remember), 380g headweight, 80g counter weight in butt, superstroke fatso 5.0. Putt 5 balls. look at data: aim prior to putt is excellent 0.2* open. face at impact pretty good 1* open (it was a very slightly left to right putt so could be due to me feeding it in), path 0.6* right, straight back straight thru stroke. 2.7* toe up at impact and consistency on the face not so great.
2. made change to lie from std 71* to 69*. putt 5 more balls. look at data - toe up at impact is now fixed and better impact consistency, But…. Face at impact now 1.4* open and path is 1.4* left. so here lie fixed lie at impact which resulted in better consistency but now my path got screwed up slightly. fitter says probably need more head weight to alter open/closing of the head better. i say how about reduce counter weight (which in my mind means heavier head) so ...
3. we reduce counter weight from 80g down to 60g. hit 5 more putts. Worse. Aim now 0.7* closed. path is now 2.9* left. Face impact dispersion slightly worse. NOPE.
4. Put back the 80g counter weight. add about 5-6g in the head so now about 385g in the head. hit 5 more putts. look at data:
0.6* aim, 1.6* open at impact (again could be due to knowing it’s very slightly a left to right putt so factor that in). path 0*! Lie angle 0.1* up. impact pretty much on top of each other, just inside center line. Shaft angle 0* deloft. face rotation could be slightly better but it was consistent. Timing was the same.
These were all within 60-90m session on the same putting surface (indoors) with the same 5 balls, same putter but able to adjust on the spot. Sure, my stroke is never 100% the same every time I swing, and these are averages of the 5 putts in each setup but to me it's CLEAR that the differences in the various putter setups did alter something. Now, one may say we're OVER analyzing the data and splitting hairs - a degree here and there but to me when I saw the data itself it told me it was important!
Will this make me a better putter? I say hopefully yes. But it's only one of the many factors of putting. I still have to read greens and actually execute.

I have at last count (try to avoid doing this) a dozen putters.

My Kingdom to be able to putt!

It's my weakness and it doesn't matter what type of putter I use (between the ears).

Most of my putters end up with friends or relatives but I keep a handful for when the one in my bag isn't working.

When the putting gets bad I bring out my Bullseye and go left hand low, usually works for a month or so.

I have tried every drill known to man and until I can get hypnotized to forget all those bouts of putting woes I just deal with it.

Pick a putter that suit your stroke and gives you the most confident in rolling the ball into the hole. Shaft offset, lie, loft, length, shape of head, weight of head, helps in a way it can let you be as natural as possible when stroking the ball.

After that it,s all practice, practice and practice......

... and that is the key to great putting ..."rolling the ball" ... striking/ hitting / stroking/ wacking the ball will always leave you feeling like there is no consistency. I use a "napa or blade style" (cameron napa, staff8802, nvr cmpmise connoseur ] putter ...old school but it fits me and I would say I am a well above average putter.....

• 8 months later...

Old dormant discussion, but I have to add one more thought.

I have been fit several times for clubs. Truth is, the impact seems subtle is you aren't way off base to begin with. I'll 'swing to the club' so I just need to ensure the club inspires a good swing. This is more art than science for me.

But with putters, fit is a big big deal. I can't just eyeball a putter and choose by 'looks good to my eye.' When I get a putter that really meshes with my stroke, score drops and stays dropped until something changes. Offset, toe hang, weight, loft, length, lie - can I get it square at address and return it to square is not a trivial thing for me. If the putter fits, I don't have to fight it.

The result - this is the club that aesthetics mean the least to me. If I can make a bunch of 5-10 footers, she's a beaut.

So the irony is, putting which is such a feel thing with so few real fundamentals that carry thru consistently for great putters - this is the club that science really helps me the most.

Give me a no-offset, face-balanced putter with a short shaft and upright lie angle and I'm good to go.

My mid-seventies Ram Zebra is as good as all of its successors.

Someday, somebody will make an especially good putter, but I doubt that it will occur in my lifetime.

Feel in the hands, looks at address, feel of the face, consistent roll.

Any fighting iron that ticks these boxes and your pretty close. Zen gives me all these and more. Golds made exact same as Zen does the same on slower greens with the face insert. No tempo adjust needed.

2 putters with the same specs for different conditions have me covered.