Wanting to replace the only non-jdm club in my bag - Putter suggestions

wmclarenf1

I've been using my Yes Callie with UST FF shaft for the longest time and its the only non-JDM club in my bag. She's still reliable enough but I thought I should maybe try to find a replacement for her.

Any suggestions for Japanese that meet the following requirements (I think its the Epon i33 but that hardly comes up for sale) :

1. Anser Style Blade

2. Offset

3. Sightline

4. Headweight of 360-370 grams (Caliie is 355 grams)

5. Non-insert

6. Won't rust

7. JDM

I was thinking of theYururi Nantetsu but Duffer mentioned it'll rust. Am checking that with Gocchin now.

Thanks in advance. Any existing Epon i33 putter owners who may be looking to sell, please me as well.

Does a product made elsewhere but was designed and intentionally marketed for the JDM qualify?

Cameron

Bettinardi

Byron

They made products specifically for Japan. And anyone who is brave enough to put 343grams on a putter head must have extremely good tolerances. I will say my MilSpec 33/350 was off by about 7 grams

Edited by xxio

You really should try out a RomaRo barque lol

Personally a big fan of Slighter Golf. You spec it he builds it. Have another solid copper one in the works...

If you are thinking JDM only, take a look at Hiro Matsumoto. I have 2 MG08 and love the heavier weight. The total weight is 550g at 33.5" which is 20 g heavier than most putter on the market. Unfortunately the 08 is a half mallet but anser type head/offset.

I remember Hiro.. I had the catamaran and tried the D-Bone... funky putter the D-Bone.

I think Hiro's are made in China but finished in Japan.

Have been reading up and am toying around with Gold's now as well. I figured if I spend 4 digits in a driver which I use at most 14 times a round, I should not hesitate to spend 4 digits on a club I now use about 32-33 times a round and hopefully that will get less and less.

Edited by wmclarenf1

I am quite fascinated by gf but while I know full well what I need for driver to wedge, I am very bad at putter fitting and really know no what loft, lie, weight, length, face angle is right for me. They do nice bling work but at this point in time, I need to know the more important stuff like what specs are right for me.

I am quite fascinated by gf but while I know full well what I need for driver to wedge, I am very bad at putter fitting and really know no what loft, lie, weight, length, face angle is right for me. They do nice bling work but at this point in time, I need to know the more important stuff like what specs are right for me.

Well you are right. It gets confusing.

I know I play best with a 34, 350-360 gram putter

Loft between 4-6. Good compromise for a whole lot of playing conditions

Face angle I like it a tad open. Most ansers are open

I remember Hiro.. I had the catamaran and tried the D-Bone... funky putter the D-Bone.

I think Hiro's are made in China but finished in Japan.

Have been reading up and am toying around with Gold's now as well. I figured if I spend 4 digits in a driver which I use at most 14 times a round, I should not hesitate to spend 4 digits on a club I now use about 32-33 times a round and hopefully that will get less and less.

32-33 putts per round? You need different irons and wedges to get you closer to the pin... That or a wider gimme range... Personally, I am down to 22 putts per round using those methods...

:D

32-33 putts per round? You need different irons and wedges to get you closer to the pin... That or a wider gimme range... Personally, I am down to 22 putts per round using those methods...

:D

Man... 22 putts per round or a putting avg of 1.2! Dude, PGA tour average for 2012 is 1.78 or 32.04 putts per round and a certain Jonas Blixt led with 1.718.

Damn! I'm wondering if my average is even that low now but I think its about there.

Edited by wmclarenf1

Man... 22 putts per round or a putting avg of 1.2! Dude, PGA tour average for 2012 is 1.78 or 32.04 putts per round and a certain Jonas Blixt led with 1.718.

Damn! I'm wondering if my average is even that low now but I think its about there.

Sorry figured my proclivities towards sarcasm in other posts would have let you know that 22 is only possible as a joke due to my incredibly large gimme range.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to hijack the post, but would have similar request actually :tsg_smiley_heart:

Currently playing a scotty newport studio 2.7 - double bended - almost face balanced

• Loft : 4°
  • Lie : 71°
  • Length : 33'',
  • Headweight : 360g
  • Swingweight : C9-D1
  • Head material : Precision Milled 303 Stainless Steel
  • Offset : Full Shaft

During my last SamLab session, noticed I was still delofting by almost 1* with rise angle of 2.5* up.

Liked my scotty pretty well but now looking for JDM...

Any suggestion (like heavy heads so up to 380 is fine)?

Sorry to hijack the post, but would have similar request actually :tsg_smiley_heart:

Currently playing a scotty newport studio 2.7 - double bended - almost face balanced

• Loft : 4°
  • Lie : 71°
  • Length : 33'',
  • Headweight : 360g
  • Swingweight : C9-D1
  • Head material : Precision Milled 303 Stainless Steel
  • Offset : Full Shaft

During my last SamLab session, noticed I was still delofting by almost 1* with rise angle of 2.5* up.

Liked my scotty pretty well but now looking for JDM...

Any suggestion (like heavy heads so up to 380 is fine)?

The de-lofting and rise angle are factors of your swing, not necessarily impacted by the club. Handsy motions can be helped with heavier heads, HeavyPutter for example, but don't think the de-lofting will be changed by a new putter. The rise angle can be altered by having a very deep putter, potentially.

As described earlier in the thread, JDM for the putter, is not the only option for high end, top quality putters. There are several custom builders that do phenomenal work that you might consider as well...

Changing the loft of the club face will change the loft seen by the ball at impact, but unless you consistently de-loft the same amount, the outcome will be sporadic… Ultimately it will work until your swing changes again...

Changing the loft of the club face will change the loft seen by the ball at impact, but unless you consistently de-loft the same amount, the outcome will be sporadic… Ultimately it will work until your swing changes again...

yes you're right...

So JDM or not, any model / premium brand to advice? choice is just plethoric...

Edited by tomcat

I am briefly reminded of Three Amigos….

Personally, I play an Epon Zen and a couple, soon to be a few, of Tom Slighter's custom putters. One of them, you might like as it fits your exact situation…

Adjustable weights and changeable faces….

Edited by RIduffer

if u guys want a JDMN putter then u HAVE TO LOOK at yamada-sans putters

the Hiro M stuff has gone a differnt tack these days low quality high turn over ( so im relaibly told).

the yamada putters are very good pieces and get air time in pros bags all over the place.

ive got ahd a lot of these and think they are tops

the other thing u can do is hunt down hiro matsumotos older putter.. NOT the new stuff.

then ull get a good putter. t he 1999 special ed. is easily as good as anyhting else ive got

Well, with some biasness, I would say if you want to try JDM, try the GS... not the softest feeling but whatever mill is on these really makes puts on a great roll.

correct...need to investigate this. what would be a close proxy of the newport 2.7?