Aerotech steelfiber shafts- How do you choose which one?

Mob

I am looking at getting some Aerotech steelfiber shafts. I have some orthopedic issues and need as much vibration dampening as possible. I am currently playing the Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff flex shafts and love them. I am trying to decide which weight steelfiber shaft this would correlate with. Am I better off with the i95, i110, or i120? I am happy with my current ball flight and weight of the Modus3, but had heard that you should go down in weight with the Steelfibers. Is this correct?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've played Modus 3 prior to moving into Aerotechs and have no problem with the transition to a lighted weight. In terms of stiffness, I think they play half flex stiffer to Modus (or to me anyway as Modus3 stiff seems slightly softer in flex in stiff for me)

I've tried a full i95 (#3-P) / mix set of i110 in longer irons (#3-5) & i95 for shorter irons (#6-P) and also the Player Series and the one I love best is the mix set and Player series. Full i95 seem to screw up my tempo a little on the shorter irons.

How do you feel he Modus in stiff now? If you feel it's just right, you might wanna go Regular flex in the Aerotechs but if you feel it's a little softer to flex, then go Stiff in Aerotech. Weight wise, I prefer either a mix combo or Player series

Cheers, Ed

That is very helpful, thAnks. Haven't heard of the players series, what is that?

Steelfiber Player Specs are their newer model iron shaft with a increase of 2g up each iron shaft.

Taken from their website:

Players Spec Ami99:

"With its SteelFiber construction and ascending mass weight progression the Players Spec Ami99 is the most technically advanced iron shaft Aerotech produces. Shaft weights ascend from 95 grams in the 3 iron to 110 grams in the pitching wedge. A player that’s looking for long irons that are as easy to hit as the SteelFiber i95 and short irons with the control of the SteelFiber i110, this is the shaft choice for you. The Players Spec iron shaft is more expensive to produce and therefore this technology comes at a higher price, but for a player looking for the highest performance in this weight range you can’t beat the Players Spec."

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I guess you kind of did the same thing by mixing your own set. I will try and test some, but that sounds like what I am looking for

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I guess you kind of did the same thing by mixing your own set. I will try and test some, but that sounds like what I am looking for

Yup...the combo set was basically the same idea but cheaper lol as Player series are more expensive. After trying and loving the combo set, I manage to get a set of Player series and shaft it in my Srixon Pro100 and looooove it !!

Ok, you may have sold me. Going to put them with some Epon 302

Important to get the flex right.... there are single irons selling in e-bay which u can try to see which flex suit u more. As I say, they do play 1/2 flex stronger IMO

It will be the stiff. I find the Modus3 stiff just a touch soft and could probably play them in an x flex. My driver shafts fall between an x flex and stiff depending on the shaft.

Stiff should be fine. Share with us your experience once you get the chance.

Stiff should be fine. Share with us your experience once you get the chance.

It may be a while. I only played my Miuras for about 5 rounds in the fall and loved them. Not sure I can really justify a $2000 set of irons while I am loving what I just got. Also just had elbow surgery and won't be swinging a club until April. All that being said, I still may not be able to resist.

Be careful with the Steel Fibres. When you go between weight ranges, it's not just the weight that changes, but the entire profile. The 80's have a different shaft profile then the 95 and 110 series and the 125 is a different profile again.

If you're looking for the same shaft profile as the Modus3's in the SteelFibres, then the i80 model is the way to go.

All helpful information, thanks. I spoke with my club fitter. He is going to get a one of each of the shafts so I can try them each with the same 6 iron head and make a decision that way. We will do this sometime in the spring. I will let you guys know what we find. Right now I am leaning to the players spec ami99 model, but we will see what the demoing shows. I really appreciate everyone's input. Thank you.

MOB also try to demo the new UST Recoil series. They are getting rave reviews and I have read numerous Aerotech owners switching to them. They offer the same weights as Aerotech, might be worth at least demo'ing.

You just had to throw a monkey wrench in there. Ok, I will see if the fitter can get one of these as well to compare. Do you know if they play true to flex?

Recoil is materially more expensive than Aerotech, if that makes it easier for you to decide… Recoil is a pure graphite shaft, opens up the selection to all high modulus options at that point, think Crazy, Roddio, UST/Mamiya, etc...

Recoil is materially more expensive than Aerotech, if that makes it easier for you to decide… Recoil is a pure graphite shaft, opens up the selection to all high modulus options at that point, think Crazy, Roddio, UST/Mamiya, etc...

You guys are killing me! I thought I had narrowed things down, now I am further away from a choice than I was when I started. I am going to look at the UST recoils, as I may have the ability to hit them on trackman with a fitter in comparison to the steelfibers. If I start looking at Crazy, Roddio, etc. I won't really have a way to comparatively test these shafts. The feedback I have seen on the recoils, now that I am looking, is very positive.

LOL @ MOB, yeah I have a knack for being a pain in the *** The Recoils play truer to flex from what I have read. From what I am reading the steel equivilent of each of the shafts is i125 is more DG S300 and the Recoil 125 is C-Taper.

Yes the Recoils are more money vs Aerotechs (my club guy said a 4-PW set is about $375 vs 600-625 for shafts,installed with grips) but if I was willing to make the large investment for a set of Miuras like you did then I am willing to spend the $$ on the shafts too. Thats just me.

Keep us posted and best of luck!

Mike

LOL @ MOB, yeah I have a knack for being a pain in the *** The Recoils play truer to flex from what I have read. From what I am reading the steel equivilent of each of the shafts is i125 is more DG S300 and the Recoil 125 is C-Taper.

Yes the Recoils are more money vs Aerotechs (my club guy said a 4-PW set is about $375 vs 600-625 for shafts,installed with grips) but if I was willing to make the large investment for a set of Miuras like you did then I am willing to spend the $$ on the shafts too. Thats just me.

Keep us posted and best of luck!

Mike

First trying to see if I can find a fitter nearby that can get both the recoils and the steel fibers to test and compare. Due to recent elbow surgery, any testing will have to wait until April. At least I can can everything lined up while recuperating.

First trying to see if I can find a fitter nearby that can get both the recoils and the steel fibers to test and compare. Due to recent elbow surgery, any testing will have to wait until April. At least I can can everything lined up while recuperating.

My experience with the recoils prototype predecessor is that they are higher launching like the Aerotechs. If you want to keep the ball down a little you might try the new Tour Attas in the pro shop.

If you're fitter can get recoils they should be able to get the Attas as well via TourSPX program...

Have you tried the tour attas and the recoils? Can you describe the differences other than ball flight?

My experience with the recoils prototype predecessor is that they are higher launching like the Aerotechs. If you want to keep the ball down a little you might try the new Tour Attas in the pro shop.

If you're fitter can get recoils they should be able to get the Attas as well via TourSPX program...

you got me interested in these...until i realized they only come in x. :(

Just looked them up on TSG and I saw multiple weights and flexes

Choices.....choices......choices...... hahahaha !!