Fujikura MCI

tae

Frank,

Why not just do it the old fashioned way with the fitter slowly filing down the shafts to fit the taper hosels. That's what I meant when I said its more work for the fitter. If you don't mind reaming (;-)), then go for it but for me, I prefer to keep the hosel sizes original.

No right or wrong, just different ways to get to the same end.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to keep the hosel in its original size and shape. But the MCIs are .370 so I'd have to ream my 302s to fit, unless there is another way. I'm asking what if I switch back to .355 in the future, is it going to cause problems?

I would love to keep the hosel in its original size and shape. But the MCIs are .370 so I'd have to ream my 302s to fit, unless there is another way. I'm asking what if I switch back to .355 in the future, is it going to cause problems?

The answer is no problem going back to a. 355 shaft however they will need to be shimmed etc. Also buyers are finicky so you may run into issues finding a buyer if you should sell heads later.

Frank,

I don;t know what the MCIs are but if they are graphite shafts, then what I suggested to have the fitter file down the tip by hand wil be possible and you keep your taper hosel which as bogeydog suggested, may be a topic of discussion should you choose to sell the heads later.

If the MCIs are steel shafts and cannot be filed down, then the only way is to ream and if you want to use taper shafts after reaming, then as many have suggested, the only and simple way is to shim. You will not be able to feel any difference with the shimming unless maybe you are rory or tiger and even then...

Edited by wmclarenf1

The Fujikura MCI is a steel-graphite composite. Not sure if it could be filed down; if yes, that would be ideal since I wouldn't want to alter the original condition of my copper 302s. Otherwise, I might just stick them in some other heads.

I opt for boring the hosel. An experienced builder will center it fine. No issues with using a shim later. Plus I'd rather lose .015 of steel than the graphite...

Hey thanks guys, feel like I've hijacked this thread. I'm just going to bring em all to the fitter and let him make the call.

• 2 months later...

Tried the MCI 80 S yesterday on my friend's AF502. it felt really2 good soft but not like graphite feel. does not feel like a 80 gram shaft too. slight draw compared to my current set up AF 502 with PXi 6.0 soft stepped. I need Tario to answer me on this one. would MCI 100s be to harsh or should i get the 80s same as my mate's?

Get the MCI 80 B so you could sell the PXi to my son.

maybe R , Maybe! I really want those MCIs

Go for the 80's its a good balance between distance and dispersion still. As you move to the heavier weights they perform more and more like steel.

So can anyone else comment on these shafts? Peaking my interest as I'm considering these for the 909's I've got on order.

• 3 weeks later...

Any more feedback on the MCI iron shafts? Currently have Steelfibers and tried Recoils. Recoils were good but I still prefer the feel of the Steelfibers - especially at impact. Recoils felt too muted (as most graphite iron shafts do) at impact whereas the Steelfibers still gave me some of the good vibrations/feedback/soft feel from my AF-302's.

You'll have to wait until I receive my set. Having some 909's made up with these. I didn't get any feedback on the MCI's as I think very few have hit them here and even less of those that actually post. I decided to take the plunge. As soon as I receive them and get some meaningful rounds in, I will post. Until then . . .

Any more feedback on the MCI iron shafts? Currently have Steelfibers and tried Recoils. Recoils were good but I still prefer the feel of the Steelfibers - especially at impact. Recoils felt too muted (as most graphite iron shafts do) at impact whereas the Steelfibers still gave me some of the good vibrations/feedback/soft feel from my AF-302's.

How are the steelfibers & recoils compared to steel shaft on dispersion ? I presume distance, feel & the strain on hands are much better.

Thanks

You'll have to wait until I receive my set. Having some 909's made up with these. I didn't get any feedback on the MCI's as I think very few have hit them here and even less of those that actually post. I decided to take the plunge. As soon as I receive them and get some meaningful rounds in, I will post. Until then . . .

Yes please keep us posted on the MCI's. I still love the Steelfibers but I'm intrigued by the MCI's as well as the new Accra Hybrex. Thanks.

How are the steelfibers & recoils compared to steel shaft on dispersion ? I presume distance, feel & the strain on hands are much better.

Thanks

The steelfibers have decrease my dispersion pattern significantly I went from Dynamic Gold S300 to Recoils to Areotech Steelfibers. Working with my fitter the steelfibers had the smallest dispersion pattern with no loss in distance. The feedback was as good as steel shafts without the muted feeling the Recoils were giving me. The switch as helped my aching Left elbow as there is also less vibration during impact.

• 4 weeks later...

Initial impressions:

Okay, so finally I was able to get out to the range today for my very first session with the new sticks. TS 909's shafted up with Fujikura MCI's 100X. Gary, aka "Goodsie" did the build and as always, they were spot on. This is the second set of irons he's built for me among numerous drivers, utes, etc. He had to of course bore out the heads to accomidate the .370 shaft size, and he did a superlative job. Can't say enough for the way he builds clubs.

So how are the MCI's you ask. Let me just say that I before hitting these I thought steel was just fine. But after hitting these I've found steel to be "sloppy". Let me try and explain it this way. Imagine you've been flying an old WWII era bomber and you've done quite well with it for a long time. And that's all you really know and things have been fine. Then you're transported foward in time and into the cockpit of modern fighter jet. Its very tight, responsive and like nothing you're familiar with but its exhilating. I could be strecthing this a little but these shafts seem really, really good.

The dispersion is pinpoint. They are extremely responsive and feel really smooth throughout the entire swing. They are stiffer than I had expected. If you're intereseted in these and you're between flexes, I'd suggest going with the lesser flex. I did not expect them to be so but they do appear to be. Its not a bad thing but something to take note of. Flight is higher than steel of course but its not a ballooning flight at all. Its high in a good way. I did play around some with ball position and trying to work knockdowns and these shafts do that. So you can adjust trajectory with setup/swing. But I find a normal stock swing to produce a higher trajectory with these versus steel.

As for feel, its all right there. So much more enhanced than steel ever was. Those of you who hit Aerotechs and Recoils I'm assuming its the same as all these have similar DNA. For me its my first time experiencing these types of shafts; I haven't hit the others so I can't really comment on how they compare to Aero's and Recoils.

Mind you this was my first time hitting these so there's still a lot to get acquainted with and as I do I'll try to update. Overall I'm very happy here to have gone this route. It was a bit of a risk on my part but one I felt I wanted to explore. Now I'm thinking I should put these in my wedges. If I do I'll probably go with the 120's but in stiff. I also just had my two higher lofted wedges reshafted with KBS 8 iron shafts. I was pleased with them on the range today too and it looks like they'll perform very well, but these MCI's now have my thinking and down the line I may just tinker with swapping them out as well. I still need more time with these and can't wait to get a few rounds in with them. More to come later.

I tried ordering a set of MCI 60 but once again they are back ordered in Japan.

Our Fuji rep said they are so hot they cannot keep up with demand even though its been out for months!

Thanks for the feedback. Very interesting!

Having played recoils and Aerotechs I ultimately went back to aerotech as the ball flight suits me better. Both are excellent as I am sure the MCI are as well. Will give them a try someday.

These shafts are seriously good. Thanks to Tario for suggesting them to me. Second range session today and it was a marathon one. Swing was really, really in a groove. Been working a lot lately to get back into form. Had gotten a little lazy with it over the past year or so. Basically posture and footwork. Anyways these shafts are divine. Super tight dispersion and just excellent in performance. If you're looking for laser-like accuracy with great feel and a very responsive shaft, give these a view. I really did not expect liking these as much as I am. First round with them tomorrow.

Can any of you guys compare these shafts with PXi 's? Sounds like they might be a little higher trajectory...? Also, Blader, can you tell me who your fitter "Goodsie" is and where he's located? I'm in S.Cal as well. Thanks so much. --Richard